Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Nu Skool 26" Cotic Bfe sizing?
  • devash
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a new Bfe frame in 26 variety when they come back in stock in December. As usual, being exactly 6ft tall (183cm) I’m right between sizes. Any advice from current owners? Bike will be used as a general do-it-all trail bike with 120mm forks.

peteimpreza

I am 5′ 10″ and bought a large.

Reach is spot on but stand over is a small compromise.

I think large would be a no brainier for someone 6′

core

Agree, large, short stem if needs be, the guys at Cotic recommended a large to me, I’m bang on 6ft.

devash
    Free Member

Large would be my preference but the fact that so many 6fters seem to ride mediums does put niggling doubts in my mind.

metalheart
    Free Member

It real depends on how you’re going to ride it.

I’ve a mk1 Soul in medium running 120mm forks, a 70mm stem and layback pin. I’ve come to the conclusion that, after oh only 8 or 9 years, that it’s too short for me (I’m also 6′). It is great for chucking around but the front end is way too light on steep climbs.

In the intervening period from purchase the ‘trend’ has been to run longer TT and shorter stems. Personally I’ve arrived at this same end point (but I like to tell myself it’s from experience than following fashion…). I’d personally be going for a large.

As always on these what size threads I recommend you also phone up Cotic and speak to them about your precise wants/requirements. In my last correspondence with them Cy was recommending me I go for a large (albeit on a different frame) but that is based on my insanely light front end whilst climbing. YMMV (you might not intend much climbing on the bike….)

bogdan27
    Free Member

I’m 6 feet like you and have Medium Bfe “15, actually it was the last before the update of this year. Even Cy also recommended me a Large as it’s a second bike that like to play around and also gets ridden by my girlfriend went for the smaller. I must say it’s fine to ride it but in the past months since I’ve sold my main bike I’ve rode it everywhere and to be honest even with a 60 stem when rushing it at speed it gets twitchy. They updated slightly the geo this year but for general ridding I also suggest a Large.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just ask Cy. I think there is/was a trend to buy smaller frames for “chuckability” – mine is 2012 Medium I am 5’10
    Its perfect and is the size Cy said I should buy. Have fun and post us a pic.

munakorva
    Free Member

Im also 6ft (183cm), long inseam.

It was hard decision. Still thinking it after few months of riding. My choice was 26″ Medium. Streched out to the max with 60mm stem and 780mm bars. 150mm dropper post. Im doing lots session based riding. Jumping, dh and bike park. I also use this setup as my daily, general enduro/trail bike. Talking about earlier BFE’s, you can’t compare them to these on sizes.

Size is a bit compromise. I would love to have more reach, but not a taller frame. For general trail, more xc style riding i would go for size large. For going down, doing jumps, being bmx oriented rider it was my choise, medium. Its not that small tought, I would enduro race it right away. It does not feel cramped on trails. It still is a 26″ hardtail. Snappy bike to kick around. Still. If i could choose again decision would be even harder.

At the moment im having 160mm travel fork, but to be honest i didn’t quite like it. It shortened more already short reach, and raised bb too hi. It also took away the sharpness from the built. Im going back to 140mm or when I get on bike again. Big fork with medium 120-140mm travel is spot on for this frame.

last setup. As you can see. 160mm fork raises bb pretty hi and make seat angle quite slack.

metalheart
    Free Member

Size is a bit compromise. I would love to have more reach, but not a taller frame. For general trail, more xc style riding i would go for size large. For going down, doing jumps, being bmx oriented rider it was my choise, medium. Its not that small tought, I would enduro race it right away. It does not feel cramped on trails. It still is a 26″ hardtail. Snappy bike to kick around. Still. If i could choose again decision would be even harder

+1

Rather more eloquently put than my “depends on how you’re going to ride it”…. 😳

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Nu Skool 26" Cotic Bfe sizing?’ is closed to new replies.