Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • NSAIDs (Ibuprofen etc)
  • Stoner
    Free Member

My prescription for dicolfenac has finished but some soft tissue swelling is still causing some discomfort. I’m assuming ibuprofen tablets will help. But out of interest will topical ibuprofen cream/gel direct to the inflammation site work well/better/not at all?

bigblackshed

Ibuprofen will work, it’s just not as effective as your prescription. The Wife swears by the gel. I’m not convinced.

As a side note I’m not prescribed dicolfenac any longer, something about heart side effects, can’t quite remember. Naproxen is the alternative and it works better for me. Ask your quack next time. But ibuprofen in the mean time.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m on naproxen 500mg twice a day at the moment and it’s bloody good. I’ve tried an ibuprofen gel but it didn’t really help much.

nickc

you could probs get a longer script if you went to your GP if it’s still giving you problems

Stoner
    Free Member

Cheers. I will try both.
    Am cautious of extended use of ibuprofen after a mate in the pub had been self medicating for chronic toothache and ended up with a massive stomach bleed 😯

Stoner
    Free Member

Am 5 weeks away from my doc so access to the good stuff is out.

By the time I get back to blighty I expect the swelling to have mostly gone.

wilburt
    Free Member

I was prescribed Naproxen for some muscle pain they worked quickly so I keep the remainder for emergencies.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Am cautious of extended use of ibuprofen after a mate in the pub had been self medicating for chronic toothache and ended up with a massive stomach bleed

I presume the mate in the pub was drinking alcohol? Ibuprofen & alcohol can lead to stomach ulcers and internal bleeding.

iainc

I used to get diclofenac for use on demand with back pain. This was withdrawn a few years ago, as you say due heart risk associated with prolonged use. Now have Naproxen which works as well. Still has risk to stomach as all these meds do. When I use it I take Omeprazole to protect stomach as have reflux at times.

steve-g
    Free Member

I find the ibuprofen gel to be very effective, good stuff is the 10% stuff.

docrobster
    Free Member

All nsaids increase cardiovascular risk. They aren’t too nice for your kidneys, raise blood pressure, cause fluid retention.
    A few years ago some study found that naproxen and ibuprofen increased the risk less than diclofenac so people were switched over.
    Remember it’s “increases the risk of” not “causes”
    People with higher risk to start with ie pre existing heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, or just older are the ones who need to avoid NSAIDs.
    Short term use for otherwise fit people isn’t a problem.
    They can all cause gastric irritation and ulcers as well, even without alcohol. Hence take them with food and often a gastroprotective is prescribed as well

nickc

ended up with a massive stomach bleed

alcohol. (mostly)

edit: defer to the proper doc.

RicB

As per above post, diclofenac is now rarely used because of CV side-effects. We restrict it to a few specialty areas. Naproxen is the ‘best’ balance of strength vs side effects. Ibuprofen is still pretty good and doesn;t require a prescription. Obviously don’t take both!

The gel is crap – I would’t bother. Most of the benefit comes from the action of rubbing it into the affected area(s), absorption is very variable and I’ve never seen a study to convince me it’ worth trying.

NSAIDS are fine for short-term use but try to take with or just after food

footflaps

You can buy Diclofenac over the counter in Europe (bought a load last time I was in Spain).

maccruiskeen

If some good has come from all of this, Stoner…… you’re not so worried about whether it not is safe fart anymore. Every cloud has a silver lining.

timraven

I have Naproxen for my back, it is good, but it really glues my insides up.

I’ve had no real benefit from the gels either.

scaredypants

If your wound has fully closed now, I’d be tempted to give the gel a go – direct to the site of the inflammation and I’d be disappointed if there was zero effect

That said, young healthy-living folk (like you ? 😉 ) ought to be able to tolerate NSAID for a week or two without much bother; just stop if you get indigestion or massive haematemesis

(you can definitely buy naproxen in the UK – Feminax ultra or something. Bloody expensive compared to petrol station ibuprofen though)

Cougar

The gel is crap – I would’t bother. Most of the benefit comes from the action of rubbing it into the affected area(s), absorption is very variable and I’ve never seen a study to convince me it’ worth trying.

I’m not certain either but I was under the impression that it was snake oil as you can’t absorb Ibuprofen topically. Could be wrong though.

RicB

footflaps – Member
    You can buy Diclofenac over the counter in Europe (bought a load last time I was in Spain).

Yes but you can buy almost anything over the counter in Spain!

Stoner
    Free Member

But not in France it would seem.

M. Le Grenouille Pharmacie did have some dicolfenac cream and some ibuprofen tablets,

Already feeling some relief.

I don’t like that they sell ibuprofen in 400mg and that you can get paracetamol in 1000mg. Esp as they never print mg on the blister packs.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I presume the mate in the pub was drinking alcohol? Ibuprofen & alcohol can lead to stomach ulcers and internal bleeding.

No need for alcohol, I can’t take them for more than a couple of days before they destroy my stomach lining.

stevego
    Free Member

I take Ketoprofen 200 mg (Slow release) every night, have for the last 5 years or so on rheumatologist’s orders. I’ve luckily had no ill effects and it means I sleep through the night and can stay active without pain.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I was popping ibruprofen like sweets in Jan 2014 after my RTA, I vaguely recall being told at Odstock Road hand rehab unit that its anti-imflammatory effects last ~3 weeks.

iolo
    Free Member

Just go into any docs with your ehic card in any country in Europe and tell them you’ve run out of pills and need some more. You’ll get a prescription and will only pay what everyone else in that country does. I’ve had pills in France, Germany and Austria without any bother.

TiRed

ibuprofen is more bioavailablevtopically than diclofenac. Adjusting for relative potency, it makes more sense to use ibuprofen gel. In the absence pf a prescription, I’d take ibuprofen 400 mg rather than wait for diclofenac.

NSAID research sadly really has not moved on greatly. The Cox2′ inhibitors promised much but failed to deliver on the safety profile – probably inherent to the mechanism.

FOG

I was told by quack a week or so ago not to use ibuprofen as this too is associated with heart problems. This specifically applies to over 50s. When I told my physiology , she sniffed am didn’t think occasional use would be a problem.

footflaps

I was told by quack a week or so ago not to use ibuprofen as this too is associated with heart problems.

All NSAIDs increase the risk of heart problems, it seems to be a common side affect. However, they don’t make enough different to really worry about it.

Northwind

footflaps – Member

You used to be able to in the UK too (though it was bloomin expensive)

ninfan
    Free Member

But not in France it would seem.

M. Le Grenouille Pharmacie did have some dicolfenac cream and some ibuprofen tablets,

Already feeling some relief.

I don’t like that they sell ibuprofen in 400mg and that you can get paracetamol in 1000mg. Esp as they never print mg on the blister packs.

You know the French answer to everything medical

stick it up your …..

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘NSAIDs (Ibuprofen etc)’ is closed to new replies.