Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • NOW TV quality on Apple TV
  • simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’ve just realised that my Sky TV offer ended some months ago and I’m now paying a significant amount of money for Sky Atlantic (as it’s the only thing we really watch that isn’t free to air).

Payback time after buying a Humax Freesat box would be about 8 months. Then the question is how to get the shows I do want on Sky Atlantic

What’s Now TV actually like? The reviews say that the streaming services are only Standard Definition but ‘On Demand’ is 720. Does that mean that, say, Game of Thrones on Catch up is 720? How does it look on a big screen? Is the audio 5.1?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Bump. No-one?

dmorts

Apple TV is 720p

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Streaming-Quality

However it does depend on your internet connection, if it’s slow (at any point) the quality reduces to keep it streaming.

hammyuk
    Free Member

No issues here using NowTV on the AppleTV.
    42″ Samsung, HDMI and its crystal clear.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

720p is pretty much the same as 1080i which is the standard broadcast HD quality, like BBC HD for example.

jon1973
    Free Member

No support for 5.1 surround sound (which seems ridiculous). One of the reasons I’ll be ditching it after I’ve used up my current pass.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^^ depends on screen size, at 50″ we can see a clear difference. On smaller TVs not.

OP how is your broadband speed and reliability and can you connect the ATV direct to your router with an ethernet cable ? Specifically we don’t watch NowTV but we do have ATV boxes and we find streaming can be intermittant due to poor broadband (1-5 mps) and a ethernet connection is better to avoid wifi drop out around the house,

Finally have you heard of Kodi / m8s ?

spawnofyorkshire

Live TV streaming is standard def, but not a poor quality stream. I’m watching on a 40″ TV from not a big distance away and it looks fine.
    The catch up is HD and streams really well. I’m running it on an older Roku and the App is very good

I have a combo of Now TV, netflix and amazon prime that means i’m rarely lacking for something to watch.
    Sports access is via Kodi

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

OP how is your broadband speed and reliability and can you connect the ATV direct to your router with an ethernet cable ? Specifically we don’t watch NowTV but we do have ATV boxes and we find streaming can be intermittent

Broadband speed – SpeedTest says about 6.6, router about 7.7
    I’ve got a cabled network so ATVs aren’t relying on Wifi.

I’ve not got a Kodi install – that could be an answer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘NOW TV quality on Apple TV’ is closed to new replies.