Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Now TV – any good?
  • Kryton57

Right you’ve all talked me into it, just ordered a smart box from John Lewis with 4months movies for £35.

Wow. Having experienced the interface I might just buy that with my Paypal balance!

Anyone want a free non-smart box? 😀

Kryton57

So here’s m y next question; If we get the smart box, dow you get the 60 Freeview channels through the other devices e.g. xbox or just via the box/tv its connected to – the latter being what I believe to be the case…?

johnners
    Free Member

Anyone know of any offers for the entertainment pass?

Best one I can see that I’d trust is Amazon at £25 for 5 months. 3 month pass looks to be OOS.

If we get the smart box, dow you get the 60 Freeview channels through the other devices e.g. xbox or just via the box/tv its connected to – the latter being what I believe to be the case…?

You believe correctly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jon1973
    Free Member

Best one I can see that I’d trust is Amazon at £25 for 5 months. 3 month pass looks to be OOS.

I think WH Smiths and Game sell the entertainment pass – 3 months for £15 or 2 months movies for then same price.

We tend to get a 2 or 3 of months at a time and then leave it for a few months, otherwise you run out of stuff to watch.

Tallpaul

One month entertainment pass is currently half price (£3.50). So two months to get you through GoT would be £11.49 (with the August price hike).

sharkbait
    Free Member

On the back of this thread I bought a smart box with 5 months entertainment for £45 from currys yesterday for our holiday place but also as a test to see if we can ditch Sky at home.
    They didn’t have any on the shelves and I had to ask for one as it showed stock on the web site – interestingly the same box with just a 3 month pass is more expensive!
    Got it set up and it looks OK although it’s not seeing the freeview channels yet…. need to investigate.

Kryton57

Got it set up and it looks OK although it’s not seeing the freeview channels yet…. need to investigate.

Let me know would you, I literally had my finger on the but and just popped in here to check for any updates 😀

Kryton57

johnners – Member
    Not necessarily a showstopper

Well i bought the hdmi>scart converter which doesnt need the power to work. In fact, with or without power it makes no difference to the pic quaility. What gives?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Kryton, how you getting on with this?

BoardinBob

I’ll offer my tuppence worth.

I had the full Sky package but it was costing me £80 a month just for the TV. Cancelled it and went for the Now TV box with the entertainment package. Don’t miss Sky at all. The option to bolt on movies or sports for a month if there’s a particular reason to do it is way better than paying all year round.

the Now TV box itself is pretty good. Seems pretty reliable, fast and easy to navigate. My only slight gripe would be navigating the live TV listings. The channels aren’t numbered, you have to scroll through the entire listings. You can’t jump straight to one channel. Not a huge pain as I don’t watch a lot of broadcast TV. Only time it does become a bit of a pain is due to the HD channels which are quite far down the listings and take a bit of time to scroll to. A minor gripe for saving £80 a month though. Would also be good if Netflix was included in the apps but I use the xbox for that.

all the boxset stuff from Sky is there on the entertainment package (plus more) with the only caveat being the stuff doesn’t tend to be on the now tv listing for as long as it is on Sky, but they do warn you well in advance when a show will no longer be available on demand.

all the tv players are there (iPlayer, More4, ITV, Demand 5) plus Redbull, Youtube (which streams brilliantly from mobile devices), Spotify etc.

Genuinely can’t see me going back to Sky now. I’d tried BT tv a few years back and it was a hateful experience. Terrible box and unreliable service. Now TV is far better.

thepodge
    Free Member

Similar to above, left sky satalite and went to sky internet (nowTV).

Used to serve as our main point for Iplayer etc TV but we’ve migrated to a fire stick and only use the Now TV box for Now TV Stuff

Kryton57

Kryton, how you getting on with this?

Pretty much exactly what BoardinBob says.

Although to be fair I haven’t watched it much since Games of Thrones ended*, but will be adding on Sports in the 6 Nations months.

*We have Amazon Prime – although I find Amazon’s interface via Xbox confusing – so we view movies there. NowTV’s movies are more current though.

Currently only paying £1.99 a month for the Kids channels.

mrblobby
    Free Member

So worth getting the NowTV Smart box over just using the app or the Apple TV?

Can’t see anything about connections for the Smart box either. Is it freesat? Can I just plug the cables from the sky dish into it?

P-Jay
    Free Member

mrblobby – Member
    So worth getting the NowTV box over just using the app or the Apple TV?

I’ve got both.

Apple TV is lovely, but pretty much does the same thing – the problem with NowTV box is it can’t stream Netflix and Apple TV can (as well as NTV in HD which a lot of devices won’t).

I’m yet to find a single device to rule them all, Apple TV is great, but ITV, C5 and C4 don’t have an app for it. NowTV box is cheap, easy to use and has those, but no Netflix.

Maybe Roko make a box that does it all.

thepodge
    Free Member

mrblobby – Can’t see anything about connections for the Smart box either. Is it freesat? Can I just plug the cables from the sky dish into it?

Wifi, power & HDMI

The Now TV box is a stripped out Roku box. Sky are invested in Roku.

I would have gone for a Roku but its almost impossible to get Kodi on it and you cant get NowTV on a fire stick.

mrblobby
    Free Member

The Now TV box is a stripped out Roku box. Sky are invested in Roku.

Wonder if you can just buy the unstripped Roku box?

Just playing with the free trial over the iPad. Hmm the bit annoying that chromecast is seen as a device.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Hmm we only have satellite cables to our sky box, no aerial cable. Assume that means to freeview channels on the smart box? 🙁

BoardinBob

correct

thepodge
    Free Member

You can by a stock Roku and run most things on it. I only have the Now TV box because it was free with a 6 month subscription.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/index

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I was all set to cancel Sky and get NowTV but they did me a deal that was too good to refuse 😕

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Now TV – any good?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts