Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Now that's a bargain race bike.
  • tang
    Free Member
    mtbmatt
    Free Member

Depends if you think the RS1 is a good fork or not.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Spotted that a while back but took away the silly profiteering price tag RS forks away as no doubt theh will perform pretty shitely.

Have seen one in the shop, theh look bad ass bikes with flare but essentially a standard carbon lay up frame.
    I would it only if it were £1800 rrp.

Don’t be a sucka to RS overpricing and hype.

njee20
    Free Member

Matt +1

dirtyrider
    Free Member

pretty sure you could build one without the cube logo for sub 2k

oldnpastit

Is a 27.2 seattube diameter going to limit dropper post options somewhat?

Sundayjumper

Standard STW replies. Everything is at least 20% too expensive.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

why would you want a dropper on a xc race bike?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mtbmatt – Member
    Depends if you think the RS1 is a good fork or not.

Had our hands on one?

Not ridden but had a quick bounce around and it feels like it has the plushness of a longer travel fork and lots of stiffness. Downsides are the propitiatory hub and exposed lowers.
    I’d expect aftermarket guards like the lefty ones to be available.

The bike itself seems a little confused in the spec with the cash going into the bling fork over say an XO1 drivetrain which seems to be the min spec on most race bikes these days. Probably not a bad way to get the parts.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Had our hands on one?

Yeh. Feels great at first, very supple.
    BUT.
    Its heavy for a XC racing fork. It lacks stiffness despite what RS say and the real killer for me is what happens when you have to remove the wheel, to fix a puncture or maybe when travelling. Probably why its always shown with the hub in place on promo shots.

It’s a big marketing success, but no way would I ever use one. SRAM are probably selling it very, very cheaply OEM to bike manufactures to try and increase the appeal.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The one I had a feel at felt better than a SID for a very marginal weight difference but it’s going to be preference. Not sure about OEM giveaways not hearing of any deals and only seen 4 in the flesh (3 on Pro’s one a former world champ)

Cube seem to have the best accountant in the business it’s the classic look here skip the rest bit of marketing

mtbmatt
    Free Member

The one I had a feel at felt better than a SID for a very marginal weight difference but it’s going to be preference. Not sure about OEM giveaways not hearing of any deals and only seen 4 in the flesh (3 on Pro’s one a former world champ)

Cube seem to have the best accountant in the business it’s the classic look here skip the rest bit of marketing

£1400 RRP fork on a bike retailing for £2000 and you don’t think the OEM price is peanuts?
    Weight difference is pretty big, 300-400g over a lightweight SID or Fox 32 100mm.

SRAM will make sure that every team they sponsor uses the fork for obvious reasons and it will be on all the top end bikes. Great bit of marketing.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

£1400 RRP fork on a bike retailing for £2000 and you don’t think the OEM price is peanuts?

Look at the Pike prices, about the same. Also probably about the same as top end Fox.
    Most of the rest of the kit on the bike is much lower spec though.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Errrrr. Pike & Fox 32 all sub £1000 RRP.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yes but the mark up/massive discount on the RRP for the pike shows what discount level they are selling at. Pikes were being sold ex OEM in the UK for peanuts compared to RRP. SRAM is just placing all their kit on the OEM market cheap not just the RS1

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The rest of the spec isn’t that flash, it’s the old XTR mech on a deore shifter/drivetrain trick. Overall it’s about right for the build kit.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m with Matt, you don’t see bikes at that price with a Fox Factory 32, and that’s 2/3 the price at retail. RS are flogging RS1s for nothing to get them on bikes so people like the OP go “wow, that’s amazing value, I must buy one”. The most expensive Pikes are £845, versus £1400 retail for the RS1, not in the same ball park at all. You don’t see SID World Cups on bikes of that value, and that’s ‘only’ a £930 fork. RS are specifically doing it with the RS1.

tpbiker
    Free Member

prefer my canyon 29r. 300 quid cheaper, x0/x9, lighter fork, and better wheels

mrblobby
    Free Member

RS are specifically doing it with the RS1.

Anyone suspect they’ve got stock that’s not selling? Hence the good OEM deals.

njee20
    Free Member

Seems likely! Still think it’s a very odd fork indeed. Dunno why they didn’t go 120-140mm and target the ‘light trail bike’ market. It’s too heavy for a full on race fork at that cost IMO. If it was a comparable cost, or lighter that would be fine, compromised as it is.

Interesting to see Bike Discount doing them at a 34% discount.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How do you explain the pike selling in Europe for less than Oz trade prices? Is it a bad fork?

njee20
    Free Member

How do you explain the pike selling in Europe for less than Oz trade prices? Is it a bad fork?

Eh? How is that a remotely relevant comparison? 😕

Chain Reaction sell loads of stuff for below UK trade prices. Does that make that stuff shit? See also Rose Bikes, with everything Shimano.

Really don’t get your point there.

The maths with the RS1 is simple. They’ve got a fork retailing at £1400, which is being specced on £2k bikes. Manufacturers are clearly getting a very good deal on that fork, or RS are incentivising the manufacturers somehow. Not sure what you’re on about with the Pike, but we’re not seeing Pike RCT3 Dual Position forks on £1000 bikes, which is the equivalent.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Interesting to see Bike Discount doing them at a 34% discount.

Last I saw they were on clearance, so pretty much any LBS should be able to do them for that!

tang
    Free Member

I won’t be buying one as I don’t need to (sponsor/trade). However, for someone looking for a circa 2k race bike and like the RS1 its a good deal.

finbar
    Free Member

the real killer for me is what happens when you have to remove the wheel, to fix a puncture or maybe when travelling. Probably why its always shown with the hub in place on promo shots.

I’m a bit clueless here… what happens?

njee20
    Free Member

Last I saw they were on clearance, so pretty much any LBS should be able to do them for that!

Unless I’m missing something they’re not now… checking the FisherB2B site.

lunge

As linked on a previous thread, if you want an XC race bike that is astonishing value for money take a glance at this:
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-xc-pro-factory-carbon-mountain-bike-id_8238236.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

As linked on a previous thread, if you want an XC race bike that is astonishing value for money take a glance at this:

If value is the difference between the sum of the original RRP of all components and what it’s being sold for, then it is astonishing. If value is the difference between what people will pay for it and what it’s being sold for, then probably not. I reckon they’d still struggle to sell it for that price. Doesn’t look like anyone on here was tempted, even at that price.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Now that's a bargain race bike.’ is closed to new replies.