Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Now i wouldn’t normally ask for advice on an important subject on here but….
  • oldfart

here goes .Before i start i know ultimately it’s down to me but i’m just interested in hearing other peoples views on this.Been a postie for nearly 27 years .Seen the job get worse and worse.Used to be home by dinnertime gradually it’s got later and later.(I don’t have a problem working my hours BTW )Now it’s 3 pm and set to get even later.The early starts and finishes were what appealed .
    I’ve got the chance to take the money and run and package is quite good .Wife is pushing me to do but i’m holding back.Mortgage is paid off kids are gone so i only need to work a max of 30 hours a week.Definetely early starts .I think it’s the thought of jumping that scares me so what’s stopping me ?I think i’m being irresponsible especially in the middle of a recession ? Maybe i should think about doing something i REALLY want to do ?

hora
    Free Member

Considering retraining? How big is the payoff? (approx)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Okay so if you take the package can you afford to continue without a job for some time? That’s what you have to weigh up. Sounds like you’ve decided that you want to move on but at the same time is it the RIGHT MOMENT. I know people will say there’s never a right moment but you have to have enough income to cover living, even if it is a very basic standard. If you can and you think it’s what you want to do, I’d say go for it, sounds to me like you certainly need a change. Good luck and if you can go for it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Go on the game.

JB
    Free Member

Ask yourself this… when you’re breathing you’re last breath… are you ever going to wish you’d spent more time at work? If you’re hanging around a forum like this, I dare say you have plenty more interests in life that you’d rather be doing than working… so I’d say if you can afford it, do it and enjoy!

footflaps

Always best to jump after you’ve sussed out the lifeboat situation rather than before…….

druidh
    Free Member

I just “jumped” from my career. Mortgage is paid off, but our income has dropped by around £40k per year. I’m working part-time in a bike shop for peanuts.

I’d never go back.

simonralli2
    Free Member

I don’t know if this helps but I took a year off in 2004 and it kind of didn’t really go according to plan. So I ended up struggling to get work, and the job I did get was maybe half of what I was earning in London.

But I never gave up on my vision. I then discovered an MSc I never knew existed, and when I saw the syllabus I knew there and then that that was the route to what I was trying to achieve, and hence 2 weeks ago left my job.

The only experience I can offer is that what ever it is you want to do, I’d say it has to be a real deep burning desire to do. Because there is a very strong chance there will be set backs along the way, but if you have that burning desire and total self belief it will get you through. And yeah, there are always opportunities if things dont work out immediately.

So yeah go for it. Good luck really hope it all works out whatever it is that you want to do.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

Hmm That doesn’t sound good, I was thinking of being a postie when i get out the RAF ah well back to the drawing board.

A mate of mine went to work as a bin lorry driver when he left. he loves it early starts again usually done by midday unless he picks up another lorries round but that is rare.

Sometimes you just need to jump ship and do what you want to do and not worry about money as that will hold you back. your lucky enough ATM to have the choice my dad was made redundant at very short notice he got a good payout and set up bussines for himself, it was something he always wanted to do but always hung back because of money doubts, he is now much better off and now has enough time for Golf (his passion)

do you have anything in mind?

What ever you do best of luck

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Punk_Drummer I wouldn’t bin it completely. I’m not a postie however my mates husband is he’s 30 has been doing it for 5-6 years and still loves it. I guess often being in a job 27 years is hard as you see what chances, bureaucracy that comes in. Ask Oldfart about it honestly but I’d still consider it (if they are recruiting).

timber

it’s not what you chose it for anymore, good package, mortgage paid, kids gone, you’ve not really given an accountable reason to stay, do things you enjoy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you can get a good package that would give you breathing space to learn / retrain / find something else.

You say early starts and early finishes and maybe 30 hrs a week. Thought about care work? Nursing assistant? Guys like you ( I’m guessing a bit but middle years and life experienced) can make really good care assistants and hours are flexible to some extent. 8-2 five days from 7 is not uncommen. You might need to do some evenings and you would need to do weekends. Pay ain’t great but it can be very rewarding

saladdodger
    Free Member

Dunno realy I have jumped a few times and at the end of the day the grass was never any greener

problem is if you do not jump you will never know

yep sorry I am bugger all help

dave_aber
    Free Member

Better to regret what you did, (and fix it in the short term if required) than regret not doing it for the rest of your life……

djglover
    Free Member

You old timers don’t know how good you’ve got it. The next generation of posties will be working 180 hour weeks with no pension or other benefits whilst their weak union struggles against robot automation!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Spend some time thinking about what you’d actually like to do for a living. As you say, the money’s not that important so you’ve got a bit of choice. If the payout allows, you could do some voluntary work. Lots of enjoyable careers rely on this, and it would give you access to different work environments without heavy commitment. With 27 years as a postie, you now have a great opportunity to try something else. Good luck, making decisions like this is hard but it sounds like you are ready to move on.

epicyclo

Just believe in yourself. If you don’t no-one else will. Act accordingly.

I’ve changed career tracks several times successfully.

slimtubing
    Free Member

much like simon ralli i recently went back to education after a 20 year hiatus, i work 3 days a week in my local which i love doing, this pays for the groceries and a mahoosive student loan (interest free) is helping towards mortgage payments. I will be done in october and it has flown past. 4 years retraining sounds like a lot but if you can afford to do it i wholeheatredly recommend it. you only get on crack at things, lifes not a rehearsal etc…..

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Now i wouldn’t normally ask for advice on an important subject on here but….’ is closed to new replies.