Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Now, I like iphones and I like android phones, but which is better?………..
  • mr_krabs
    Free Member

There's only one way to find out……………

Seems that on a daily basis a perfectly reasonable question about either turns into a my phone is better than your phone thread.
    So this is it a fight to the death. For all those that care that much about it. Go on get it all out, so that in future those of us with questions about our phone can actually get some answers.

Let nerd battle commence……

tron
    Free Member

I have an Android phone, have used an iPhone, and the best phone is…

Drumroll…

A Sony K800i, or a Nokia 3210 for the true luddite.

Nobby
    spacemonkey

Having had a Hero for a year, plus an HD2 and now an iPhone 4, I'd say the latter wins hands down for me in every key department;

– speed (super fast and lag-free)
    – functionality (running 60+ apps and 25 games)
    – multi-app/platform integration (social networking/sharing/etc)

Sure, it's locked down (non-JB) in terms of basic tweaking, but who in the real world really gives a sh1t about that? Not me. That's why the all-round performance and functionality of the app store makes it a winner IMO.

EDIT: Oh yeah, syncing and file management is a PITA, as is emailing attachments etc.

TheSwede
    Free Member

After spending the last few years shaking my head at all the dweebs in the office with their heads glued to an I phone, I am sorry to say, I am now one them.

simon_g

I have yet to use a friend or colleague's Android phone that I didn't want to give back again after a couple of minutes. Apple have the best UI, best app ecosystem, and now with the iphone4, the best hardware going right now. All Android offers me is compromises elsewhere, ability to do things and run things I don't want, and possibly save some money. I'd rather pay the extra thanks.

muggomagic

iPhone 4.

jam-bo

iPhone 4. Even though I put a crack in mine last weekend.

RS4KEV

+1 iphone 4

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

@ Space – the HD2 is windows based not android!

I think for android some people have a quick go and dont like it but the big thing is android can be customised and tweaked, as stock its not that great, its also open source. I have a custom interface on my desire so its now as good as the iphone, if not a bit better for me anyway. You can change android in so many ways that you cannot with apple. I have had both an iphone and now the new desire. Tbh the andoid wins for a few reasons. It gets lots of apps and software whereas apple restrict what can go on theirs. Its cheaper by a long way on contract (£30 for the desire 600 mins, unlimited txts and internet + free phone) . Its also better at running multimedia on the web than the iphone. Stock android is not great and stock iphone vs stock desire the iphone would win, that I happily agree. However get the right interface on the droid and the right apps, it leaps up a lot. I also keep thinking android is still in its early days vs Iphone, it can only get better and better. With gingerbread on its way, it looks rosy.

The android cannot be compared to the iphone as there are tons of androind phones, I agree 95% of droid phones are worse than the Iphone, but there are a few such as the desire which compare very well.

All imho ofc

btw I do have 3 other apple products and I do think they are great (older ipod, ipod touch etc)I really do think on the right handset Android is very good if you customise it to your needs, and open source for 3rd part software is nice. I just dont like apples stanglehold over what goes on the iphone.

Milkie
    Free Member

llama

I want a windows 7 phone

spacemonkey

@ Space – the HD2 is windows based not android!

Do you honestly think I didn't know that?

I included a reference to the HD2 because it's possibly the best example of another platform's phone in terms of power, UI, and customisation (see Cookies Home Tab etc).

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

im sure you do, I was putting that for others benefit in case they thought it was android based, the HD2 is/was a great phone, the next windows platform should be really good!!

DrJ

the next windows platform should be really good!!

How many times have we heard that ?? :-))

cynic-al
    Free Member

Happy with Andriod, sure it's not quite as nice as iphone, but it's < 1/2 the price, and I'm not sweating about getting it nicked.

spacemonkey

I was putting that for others benefit

Coolio 🙂

Nobby

Oddly, both of the Mac techies in our IT support use the HTC Hero rather than their iPhones. When I questioned one on it a while back he said you have three choices:

Business use = Blackberry
    Personal use = iPhone
    Both = Android

I guess it's horses for courses but the iPhone 4 is clearly better as a phone than previous incarnations.

allthepies
    Free Member

😆 @ app ecosystem

GrahamS

Hmm really don't want to get suvkered into pointless debate but I find the iPhone fine for business use.

Picks up my business email fine, syncs to Exchange servers, supports VPN for connecting through to the company network, and has telnet, RDP, VNC apps for frigging with company PCs. Not sure what is missing really.

funkynick

Graham… sucker!

:oD

They are pretty much horses for courses… and both do things that the other can't…

Personally, I went with Android as I like the open sourceness of it. Somehow, even though I have a couple of older Macs, I have managed to avoid the Jobsian Reality Distortion Field…

;o)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

the iPhone 4 is clearly better as a phone than previous incarnations

I've seen this said more than once, but I can't work out why people say it.

Can someone please tell me why my 3G iPhone isn't very good as a phone?

I select a number, it dials, I have a conversation.

What's the issue? Seriously…… 😕

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Iphones are nice, but I have this charging system on my android that lets me go from 0 to 100% battery in 30 seconds. I just haven't seen anything similar for the iphone.

The problem with all touchcreen phones is no buttons, no tactile feedback. Try an old phone again and remember how useful that is.

Also covering your screen in your own filth all day….can't be hygenic that.

loddrik
    Free Member

Had a 3gs, bought an htc desire, went back to an iphone4 after 3 weeks as it is so much nicer to use and android apps are crap.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The problem with all touchcreen phones is no buttons, no tactile feedback. Try an old phone again and remember how useful that is.

I have done precisely that. It's horrible to use buttons again!

Also covering your screen in your own filth all day….can't be hygenic that

No different to pressing buttons! That's the most bizzare reasoning I've ever heard!

GrahamS

You want buttons?

HTC Desire Z

scaredypants

I have neither, but…

For "business" use – I think it depends on the business. I work in a hospital & there's a mass of little apps and also e-versions of medical texts available for iphones that just aren't there for android ones ("YET" – I'm sure) so currently every bugger who has a poshphone seems to have an iphone and I'm pretty sure that's why

Reckon most of the "leisure" options of either would pass me by but I would like a few things & not sure who does 'em (or does 'em best anyway)

1) voice-txt: do phones have this now? (I speak and it converts to a sms for me)
    2) bigger screen. Not ipad size, but bigger than the current phone ones. I have a HP pda 😳 that needs replacing really and that screen is about 65x85mm. could/would be bigger these days, as it doesn't fill the full device up (say 70 x 110 or so). That fits in my pocket OK at work, despite being twice the thickness of an iphone (though might affect the cut of a user's sister's jeans when riding a wankbike). The HD thing is pointless to me, I just want more area. Anyone likely to come up with this, do we know ?

EDIT: must work in the USA for phone and non-wifi data too

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

whats this charging in 20 seconds thing???? very interesting

stumpy01

Spankmonkey – Member

I suspect it's along the line of:

– turn off phone
    – take out flat battery
    – put in fresh battery
    -turn on phone

Not possible with iPhone….

MrsToast
    Free Member

You should all buy Android phones, then buy the fantastic soon-to-be-released crab-based Tower Defence game 'Shrimpocalypse'. ALL OF YOU.

Then I'll be able to afford some new wheels! \o/

grievoustim
    Free Member

Scardeypants – dragon dictation for iPhone does voice totext, voice to email etc

ooOOoo
    Free Member

I have done precisely that. It's horrible to use buttons again!

When my x10 went back to be repaired, the old nokia just felt great for the basics. Dedicated call/end buttons, less finger movement, being able to text without looking at the phone…but obviously web browsing was horrible.

Also covering your screen in your own filth all day….can't be hygenic that

No different to pressing buttons! That's the most bizzare reasoning I've ever heard!

You haven't seen how filthy I am.

yeah spanko got it. Spare battery in the wallet. Essential.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So I see nobody can tell me why me 3G is not much good as a phone yet then? 😕

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

some smart phones do have buttons….. you can just use the 4 buttons on the bottom of the desire to navigate everywhere.

GrahamS

Honest question: what happens with speaker docks for HTC/Android phones? A trip to any electrical department these days will reveal tons of different docks for iPhone/Pods. Are they compatible with HTC phones too?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

When my x10 went back to be repaired, the old nokia just felt great for the basics. Dedicated call/end buttons, less finger movement, being able to text without looking at the phone…but obviously web browsing was horrible.

I can't text without looking at the keys anyway. I send about 20-30 texts a month, and I'm a lot faster in my iPhone than I ever was on a normal phone. And the predictive typing and spell checker is superb! 🙂

You haven't seen how filthy I am

So you'd rather have the filth stuck between the keys where you can't get to clean it than on a nice wipe-clean smooth surface? Odd…… 😉

Milkie
    Free Member

So I see nobody can tell me why me 3G is not much good as a phone yet then?

I didn't realise you were serious! 😉

Depends how you define a phone these days.
    If its making calls & text messages, then I suppose it probably is just as good as the new one.
    If you consider a phone to be calls, text's, emails(exchange/imap), gmail calendars, facebook, youtube, internet, weather etc then I would think a new one would be better due to the speed & battery.

Spankmonkey
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member
    Honest question: what happens with speaker docks for HTC/Android phones? A trip to any electrical department these days will reveal tons of different docks for iPhone/Pods. Are they compatible with HTC phones too?

Yes you can use most dock stations with an HTC phone, most docking music player / speakers have a jack port in the back so you just get a double ended lead, one end to your phones earphone socket other into the speakers jack port.

GrahamS

Right… but that's not really going to charge the phone, or provide any track info or control, and it won't look very good either. Are there no proper docks?

Like this kind of thing: http://www.reghardware.com/2010/07/19/ten_essential_premium_ipod_speakers/

I'm surprised someone hasn't done an iPhone to HTC dock converter type gadget.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Now, I like iphones and I like android phones, but which is better?………..’ is closed to new replies.