Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Now i have had my posterior measured its saddle time
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Visited Specialized store this morning and had my sit bones measured and they recommended a 155mm saddle which i kinda already knew as my 140mm saddles were killing me. They said i can purchase a saddle and try it out for 30 days doing as much mileage as i like and if i am not happy i can bring it back and either exchange or get full refund. What happens though if the rails get marked by the seat clamp which invariably they will, will they still refund or at this point do they say exchange only as its damaged/marked?

submarined
    Free Member

I’m going to sound like a dick, but, rather than relying on us, I’d suggest asking them…

newrobdob
    Free Member

I borrowed a test saddle once from a Spesh dealers, it was a unique red and white test model that you left a deposit for. Do they still do that?

blader1611
    Free Member

Submarined – sadly i didnt think about this at the time otherwise i would have done. I was thinking about it on the way home and wondered how many saddles have been returned to them with marks and scratches on the rails and what they then do with them. So cynically i thought they might know this is going to happen and thus exchange only which means they have a guaranteed sale on a £100 saddle.

zilog6128

can you not wrap the rails in electrical tape or something? I did that once when I was unsure about the fit of a saddle, AFAICR it worked.

submarined
    Free Member

If all else fails give the Brum one a call to ask, they’ve always been super helpful and up front with me 🙂

simondbarnes

What happens though if the rails get marked by the seat clamp which invariably they will

It doesn’t matter.
    The policy from Specialized is exchange but if you can’t find a saddle that suits you I’m sure any reasonable Specialized dealer would refund or at the very least give you in-store credit for the full amount. We do.

blader1611
    Free Member

I might just tape up the rails and possibly try the Toupe saddle for size as its only £30, i dont fancy being lumbered with a £100 credit note.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like they are not intending to sell the saddle again if you return it, which says a lot for the confidence in their product! 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Official Specialized policy is that if the saddle doesn’t work for you then you can exchange it for another one of their saddles. Which is fine if there is one in their range that works for you, or if the price differences are not big. Otherwise you’re stuck and relying on goodwill of the bike shop to either refund or credit note.

It’s an annoying policy as there are a couple of their saddles i’d like to try but don’t want to be lumbered with a credit note.

simondbarnes

It’s an annoying policy as there are a couple of their saddles i’d like to try but don’t want to be lumbered with a credit note.

Have you spoken to a dealer?
    Hardly an annoying policy. Many saddle manufacturers let you buy a saddle and if you don’t get on with it then tough luck. I know what I’d rather have!

mrblobby
    Free Member

That’s an even more annoying policy.

Thankfully most do test saddles or some better policy. Tried a new Selle Italia from my LBS the other day, use it and no questions asked 30 day money back guarantee.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

ive got a Mint black Specialized Henge in 155 i’d sell for £30 posted if yer interested?

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I have a 155mm Romin expert evo that I didnt get on with that we can do a deal on. Email in profile

blader1611
    Free Member

Mrblobby i am with you on this, i dont really want a 100 quid voucher for a shop i am unlikely to spend in.

Rmgvtech – will fire you an email this weekend ref the romin.
    Lawmanmx – isnt the Henge more for mtb?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I recently went through this wider saddle buying process.

I purchased a number of saddles I thought might be suitable and basically left them in their packaging and put them in a kitchen chair and sat on them for a bit.

Sent the unsuitable ones back. Crc refunded me.

Wtb saddles as I like their site bone chart.

onandon
    Free Member

I tried most of the specialized road saddles last year and didn’t get on with any of them.
    I spoke with their “master” saddle bloke who said that the width is only part of the saddle fit.
    The drop to your bars plays a huge part in the fit as the pelvis tilts narrowing your sit bones – also, the different saddles size differently -ie a Romin 155 is sized differently to a power 155.

I gave up and went back to fizik

gowerboy

No wonder our LBSs are going out of business….

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member
    blader1611
    Free Member

NOTG i dont want to appear as an aesthetic snob but the only colours available are far too colourful for my all black bike 😀 thanks for the heads up though, i have passed this on to my mate who has purchased one.

bikemad
    Free Member

I’ve had loads of saddles & always suffered numbness,hard skin spots after 30+ miles either too padded,or not enough,tried ISM without nose for a couple of years good saddle but still got pain in my sitbones.

I then took a punt on a selle anatomica I now don’t suffer at all no pains,sores etc,I’ve more energy to ride with the only draw back is a leather saddle is heavier,& needs to be looked after try not to get it wet too I carry a cover for it.
    Saddles are personal though what one person likes another will hate,also experiment with adjustment it takes time to get that dialled in too.
    The biggest expense is when you have to kit 4 bikes out with the same seat but I cannot put a price on comfort.

blader1611
    Free Member

Bikemad – yeah saddle choice is too personal to shout out for recommendations. What is frustrating is trying to find the right saddle in the most efficient and economical way. As a stay at home dad money is tight so dont have the option of buying and trying loads so having to beg/borrow or just ask random people if i can sit on their bike for a bit.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Now i have had my posterior measured its saddle time’ is closed to new replies.