• This topic has 56 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Now i don't have the most skillzzz on a bike but…..
  • hora
    Free Member

will put it on the list when i go up norf

Nah- your coming out with us on the Peaks 😀

jedi

ok deal 🙂

mikey74
    Free Member

I have to admit that long, steep rolls are my major nemesis; not all of them, just some, and it is quite irrational. To my shame one of the ones I have a mental block over is Deliverence in the Surrey Hills, which is annoying as in the same ride I will easily ride down others that are just as steep and just as long but when it comes to that one I just get the fear. I find it incredibly frustrating and it can ruin a ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    firestarter
    Free Member

ive no skills either. steep rolls are not my bag (steep steps also tbh lol i have most of my crashes on steep big steps actually) but on a great rock skills day he filmed me on the slab at gisburn. im poo but here i am 😉 (as im off the bike due to surgery and having more tomorrow its the nearest to riding i can get at the min ;-(

hora
    Free Member

mikey74- the difference is Deliverance is loose, rooted and changes angle from the start to midway along with its camber so anyone would rightly feel nervous on that 🙂

I always say, if you feel nervous you DONT have to do it. Its your ride after all, not your mates who wont be picking up your medical bill or wiping your ass for 6weeks.

Its not about pushing the envelope on every ride, seeing what you can get away with and taking risks. At that point you forget what you enjoy about getting out and riding. Plus, the more relaxed and destressed you are the smoother and quicker you flow anyway.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yup its a head thing not a skills thing – You can see you wanna do it but your head is saying no and putting on the brakes – just confidence unfortunatley 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Deliverance is a classic for playing with your head if you stop and look a it. If you just keep going and get into it before you've had a chance to talk yourself out of it it is much easier. Same with all those big roll-in types – check it out on foot (not astride your bike in a half-committed way) and once you have it visualised go way back and roll in with some freewheel speed. The guy in the video was faffing around on the brink, diverting his attention by worrying about the saddle and so-on, whereas he would have been better preparing his mind (and saddle if you want) away from the lip – going a lot further back and doing a firm approach.

BTW, I don't doubt it is a lot steeper in real life – video flattens it and the angle didn't help.

ononeorange

I'd have bottled it. I'm rubbish at drops, but I think it's visual overlaod that does it. I'm OK if I look up…..!!

jedi

they are roll downs, i refer to them as that or at a push drop offs. the verbal description puts riders on the back foot. most riders ride wayyyy to far back to so no wonder they feel out of control .

🙂

IanMmmm
    Free Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHRMy7Ev7Fg

Another go at that slab. Looks a bit steeper from that angle.

Farticus

Loads of entertaining clips linked to the original link, but this one just had me in stitches (and probably the rider in a painful place too). Sorry if this has been trotted out here before.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

Loads of entertaining clips linked to the original link, but this one just had me in stitches (and probably the rider in a painful place too). Sorry if this has been trotted out here before.

I thought the bike was going to be crushed, but no – only the rider.

lowey

In fairness it is pretty steep. When you approach it from the top, you cant actually see the rocks on the slope until your practically rolling over the edge so it is a bit of a leap of faith.

Tony, Gisburn is great, but I'd leave it till its dry.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Its not about pushing the envelope on every ride, seeing what you can get away with and taking risks. At that point you forget what you enjoy about getting out and riding.

Depends on the person of course. The main reason I'm bored on most outings is the lack of pushing myself, I love riding with people who challenge me to get down/over/across things at every opportunity.

Steep drops are my thing, they're about the only thing I do really well actually 🙂 I was riding down stuff I couldn't walk down years before I could really ride properly, it is all in the head – the falls are never as bad as you think they'll be.

flamejob
    Free Member

I'm with coffeeking, no doubt Jedi is the same.

More stupid crash videos! That one Farticus posted is brilliant; the bloke was as airborne as a tank

firestarter
    Free Member

i dont know coffeeking my over the bars in scotland crash was pretty good. Got me into intensive care for a while and really knocked my confidence and im only just trying to rebuild it now. Tho not at the min as been off the bike due to surgery 🙁

jedi

i never push myself.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Now i don't have the most skillzzz on a bike but…..’ is closed to new replies.