Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Now, I don't follow the round ball game, but…..
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I dunno if anyone else listened to the 5Live commentary last night but I was in stitches. Such classics as “There would need to be a bigger Swing on Saturday than one of those parties you have round your house”

Was in the car on the M25 – proper lol moment!

As for QPR having the next smallest ground in the PL, well, really can’t see them staying up now anyway

rascal
    Free Member

Although Swansea were in the big time once before under John Toshack….the Cherries have never been there.

Yes, I’m well aware of that…when I went to my first game at the Vetch in Jan 87 – and until they got promotion in 2008 in the Championship we were kicking around the lower leagues…so it feels to me like our first time 😉

TBH I don’t think ground capacity is the be all and end all…not when you get supposedly £80-plus million coming through TV money. Obviously a club with a ground with 50,000 will generate more money than one with 20,000 (us). We caught a cautious approach when we were promoted re: stadium expansion. It was 20,000 and is STILL 20,000 even though the demand is there – there’s been talk of expanding it to 33,000 a few years ago – they’re doing a feasibility study with the fans now.

As brilliant as it is to see B’mouth promoted, it seems their story isn’t quite as romantic as everyone would have you believe. They’ve got a quiet benefactor and are allegedly paying a striker who sits on the bench £36k a week!

Good luck to ’em though – nice to see some new blood up there 🙂

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can i do my cynical bit now….. as a Reading fan whose been to the promised land a couple of times now…. etc etc

excellent rant, I really enjoyed that.

10/10

As for bournemouth … remember reading half a doaen years ago or more how a young manager had got them out off the preverbal, to stop them dropping out of the football league. Is he still in charge and taken them all the way?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Is he still in charge and taken them all the way?

Yup! He’s the Football League Manager of the Decade no less!

rascal
    Free Member

We caught took a cautious approach when we were promoted re: stadium expansion.

Doh 😳

As for bournemouth … remember reading half a doaen years ago or more how a young manager had got them out off the preverbal, to stop them dropping out of the football league. Is he still in charge and taken them all the way?

Yes – Eddie Howe is still there.

chambord
    Free Member

Yes – Eddie Howe is still there.

After a brief (unremarkable) spell at Burnley. I hope he doesn’t get poached and ruined by a larger club too soon.

scandal42
    Free Member

Nothing more exciting than a relegation battle – Leicester fan

binners

I reckon the relegation scrap is going to go right down to the final minute of the final game. Its bloody tight down there at the bottom. I still really hope Burnley stay up. Though they look doomed 🙁

I’d love Villa to go down. They’ve been loitering around at the bottom of the premiership, like an eggy fart, playing absolutely dire football (every woeful 0-0 draw they grind out has ‘last game to be shown on MOTD written all over it) for far too long. Be off with you, and do a Leeds!

camo16
    Free Member

Burnley and Sunderland are doomed, I’d say. QPR look like they might have a good game in them, but that’ll probably be against Forest next year. I’m with Binners on Villa, so hopefully they’ll drop. 🙂

Villa’s been overdue a fall from grace for years – footie dullness redefined.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I’d love Villa to go down.

Villa’s been overdue a fall from grace for years – footie dullness redefined.

But but but… “Sleeping Giants”!

camo16
    Free Member

Anyone checked the pulse on that sleeping giant recently?

I think it might be dead. 😯 😀

pete68
    Free Member

To be fair, Villa have been a lot more entertaining since She r wood replaced Lambert. I’d still like them to drop though along with Sunderland and maybe Newcastle, just because of Mike Ashley .

binners

To be fair, Villa have been a lot more entertaining since She r wood replaced Lambert

lets be honest though…. It would have been a physical impossibility for it to become less entertaining! Why people continued to pay good money to watch that crap, is beyond me. They’ve been the least entertaining team to watch, by a country mile, for years now.

If they go down, like they should have done years ago, theres no chance they’ll ever make it back up. And thats a blessing for all of us 😀

albino
    Free Member

I don’t post on here that often but as a Cherries fan of 30 years, I thought I’d better join in.
    The last few years have been a real roller-coaster and, as a club that’s been right on the brink of extinction on several occasions, we can and should rightfully enjoy every moment of this – regardless of what may or may not happen in the future.
    The main thing that irks me is the whole outside view of the “Russian Owner”. Yes, we have but he has not bank-rolled us in the way that many think. Someone mentioned earlier about signing Callum Wilson for £3million, which is true. However he was a direct replacement for another player sold for a greater amount. The majority of our players have been with us since League 1, with a couple from League 2. The Russian finance has meant that, rather than spending money willy-nilly on players to buy success, we have been able to reject the advances of clubs who have historically been able to come in and pinch our players for peanuts, (or sometimes less)! In addition we have been able to develop the infrastructure and facilities of our stadium, which may be very small by PL standards, but have enabled us to develop the kind of free flowing, attacking football we’ve seen week in week out.
    This is all probably way too much detail for STW…and I’ve had to restrain myself too but, the fact is that Championship teams used to view us with a certain amount of pity mixed with a pinch of “Ahh Little old Bournemouth”. Now that we’ve humbled some of these “Big” teams, we’ve become a target. I love it!
    UTCIAD!

theotherjonv

Albino. Not knocking you at all – how can I after the Russian debacle, and now the Thai’s coming in. You deserve your days in the sun and you should damn well enjoy them. They’ve been the best team in the Div to watch this year, even if Watford’s league position says otherwise, and Eddie Howe can probably walk to Europe on his next scouting mission after what he’s done.

I loved the first season (and I have somewhat glossed over that we surprised a few and nearly made Europe for the sake of embellishing the rant). It’s the subsequent relegation and the return and then being utterly useless in our second time up, and everything that came with it that soured it.

But the point is basically true. There’s 3 leagues in the Premiership. The top 4, maybe half dozen are challengers; they’re fighting for titles and ECL spots and the big prizes. There’s a second league of maybe another 8 sides, fighting for their position in that 8 and if you come high up and cups go to top 4 sides, you might get a bonus Europa league spot or something.

And then there’s the league that our clubs are in. The other half dozen. And like the hunters and the lion, it often isn’t how shit you are, but how much more shit someone else is that’ll decide it. Which is how the likes of Villa and Sunderland survive by being the 4th shittest team in the league.

So yes, have a great day when Mourinho brings his allstars to visit. And I do sincerely hope you do surprise a few and collect a few scalps on the way. But the games to turn out for, to really support the team and ensure you get the points that matter are going to be the grimy Tuesday nights away at places like Villa and Burnley.

Plus, being in Bournemouth all your away trips are proper away ones!!

To round it right off – my mum’s from Newcastle, and they were the first team I ever saw. My grandad had me in a black and white babygro and took me all the time to SJP (sorry, the Sports Direct Arena at SJP. Actually, scrub that and F*CK OFF ASHLEY). So I’ve the dubious distinction of supporting two teams that have amassed 11 points out of the last ten games each. Terrific.

chestrockwell

I don’t post on here that often but as a Cherries fan of 30 years, I thought I’d better join in.
    The last few years have been a real roller-coaster and, as a club that’s been right on the brink of extinction on several occasions, we can and should rightfully enjoy every moment of this – regardless of what may or may not happen in the future.
    The main thing that irks me is the whole outside view of the “Russian Owner”. Yes, we have but he has not bank-rolled us in the way that many think. Someone mentioned earlier about signing Callum Wilson for £3million, which is true. However he was a direct replacement for another player sold for a greater amount. The majority of our players have been with us since League 1, with a couple from League 2. The Russian finance has meant that, rather than spending money willy-nilly on players to buy success, we have been able to reject the advances of clubs who have historically been able to come in and pinch our players for peanuts, (or sometimes less)! In addition we have been able to develop the infrastructure and facilities of our stadium, which may be very small by PL standards, but have enabled us to develop the kind of free flowing, attacking football we’ve seen week in week out.
    This is all probably way too much detail for STW…and I’ve had to restrain myself too but, the fact is that Championship teams used to view us with a certain amount of pity mixed with a pinch of “Ahh Little old Bournemouth”. Now that we’ve humbled some of these “Big” teams, we’ve become a target. I love it!
    UTCIAD!

Are you really saying that you’d be in this position without the Russian billionaire? As good a David and Goliath story as it is you have had significantly better resources then many in the Championship.

Oh, and I like how the ‘manager of the decade’ failing at Burnley having left the south coast for ‘bigger things’ is happily glossed over.

Bitter? Yeah, probably but let’s get things in order.

theotherjonv

The worm has turned! We actually scored at Rotherham (still lost though)

Apparently the fans were singing ‘How sh*t are you; we scored a goal” to the tune of Tom Hark

albino
    Free Member

theotherjonv – I know you weren’t 🙂 Just needed to get it off my chest. Reckon you’ll be competitive next season.

@Chestrockwell

Are you really saying that you’d be in this position without the Russian billionaire?

No, definitely not saying that. All I’m saying is that the investment that he has provided has allowed us to compete on a level playing field. We haven’t had to sell because we’ve had the financial backing to offer longer term contracts and see off the clubs who’ve preyed on our financial instability for years. Like I said, all of our player purchases have been covered, whether directly or indirectly, by income other than investment. (Sale of Grabban, Sell on fee from Lallana).

As good a David and Goliath story as it is you have had significantly better resources then many in the Championship.

Really? Possibly in the last 2 years. And even if we have, it’s about time. I won’t make any apologies for the fact that we’ve been broke for decades and now have a bit of money to spend. As a Leeds fan, you’ll know only too well that splashing the cash is not a guaranteed recipe for success. 😛

theotherjonv

And it just got better!!

Champions, AFC Boscombe and Bournemouth as it used to be on my old subbuteo listing.

And LOLLAGE at Derby. Our first win in yonks. But given how much your fans crowed at us on the day we went down despite stuffing you 4-0, I’m trying really hard to feel sorry for you but I can’t.

binners

After another truly abysmal performance, it looks like Newcastle are right in the mix for heading in the opposite direction now.

Mackem

Tight as a gnat’s chuff. Never thought there’d be a better manager than Shearer

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Championship trophy parade tomorrow. My Dad is heading down so will take some photos of the lads . Just had to end that way with Sheffield Wednesday fans singing for Bournemouth

scandal42
    Free Member

The battle for safety is crazy, we’ve won 5 out of 6 and still remain a point from the drop zone.

monksie
    Free Member

I was invited to a trial at Bournemouth when I was s school. Everybody took the mick but I was dead chuffed. I’ve always had a soft spot for them.
    I couldn’t go for the trial. My dad broke my wrist the day before. I think he did Bournemouth a favour :-). I went to Luton a few months later instead. Where are they now? Not in the Premier League. That’s for sure……

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Now, I don't follow the round ball game, but…..’ is closed to new replies.