Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Now, I don't follow the round ball game, but…..
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Just spotted this on the Beeb website, and had heard about Bournemouth on the local news from time to time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/32481687

Everyone is standing, everyone is clapping, everyone is singing.

Bucket collections to raise money for the club, watching their side start the 2008 season on -17 points in League Two….

There’s something really rather lovely about a sporting club making a success of themselves. Even more so when it’s one that really involved the fans, as seems to have been the case at Bournemouth. Bravo!

Rockape63
    Free Member

AFC Bournemouth in the Barclays Prem…..who’d of thunk it eh?

Good effort!

scaredypants

Bah! 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Memories of Ted MacDougal and a rather horrid green and black stripped kit.

Good for them!!

geoffj

Well done Bournemouth (semi-disgruntled Bolton fan here)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I can’t believe it. I just can’t believe it . I stood outside the old dean court shaking buckets asking for cash to keep them afloat in 97 as a 16 year old.

Joy of joys !

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

They’ve got to be every neutrals favourite team next season.
    Wonder if Hollywood will make a film about them?

granny_ring

Yes well done to the cherries!

rascal
    Free Member

It’s brilliant seeing a club this small making the big time. They’re probably the smallest club since my team Swansea got promoted 4 years ago in a very similar rags to riches story. Funnily enough there was a film made about that last year called ‘Jack to a King’ – would be an interesting watch for any footie fan whether you like Swansea or not.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Fair play to Charlton…one of the best tweets of the season 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Brilliant!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dd that’s excellent, great news for Bournmouth I’ve been following their progress all year and they thoroughly deserve it. They have an international airport too don’t you know 😉

Minor factoid is that Nigel Spackman who went on to play at Chelsea and Liverpool started his career there, even less relevant was that we where in the same class at college.

theotherjonv

Well done Bournemouth! Used to be one of my favourite away trips when I was a regular Reading follower, when we were both shit.

Can i do my cynical bit now….. as a Reading fan whose been to the promised land a couple of times now.

The PL is rubbish for clubs like ours. The first time you get there, you see the novelty of seeing Rooney and Sanchez and Hazard and (in my day, Torres, Ronaldo, etc.) all come to your ground and you can’t believe it’s happening. And then you get to see them on MOTD, and you tell yourself this is real, and you’ve made it!

Then you get mullered every week, and Alan Hansen’s pointing out how shit your defence is, and on Monday Night Football Gary Neville’s drawing lines showing what a donkey your centre forward is… and all of a sudden you can’t buy a point and you haven’t even scored for 5 games, and it’s only October and already the bookies aren’t accepting bets on you going down. And there’s another 7 months to go before you play anyone you can beat (apart from in the FA Cup, but then you’re everyone’s tip for a ‘giant’ killing because you’re playing the reserves to focus on the league, and your big money Lithuanian panic transfer window signing doesn’t even understand the magic of being repeatedly kicked up in the air by a plasterer from Nantwich on a cowfield in the arse end of nowhere. On a cold January afternoon)

Until finally around this time of year the relegation is confirmed (and it’s only taken this long because there’s 4 other teams who are equally as shit as you. One of which is Sunderland, because it always is, but they’ll escape somehow) And you act disappointed, and you might even throw the remote control as an act of defiance, but your heart isn’t really in it. And your best players will leave, and the manager gets sacked (the same one that you declared undying love for just 12 months earlier) and then you undergo rebuilding because you can’t afford the wages.

And then it starts again. And despite all this, you’d give anything to win the Championship and go up because this time it’ll be different.

Jeez, I hate being a football fan. It’s fun at the time, but it’s the after effects, the self loathing. I could give it up if I wanted to, but why should i, it’s only myself I’m hurting.

Stay in the Championship, with an aim of winning more games than you lose but ultimately losing in the playoffs and avoiding the need for all that nastiness. It’s the future.

scaredypants

that’s about fair, thotherjonv

… but that false hope really is addictive. As a very much lapsed Boro fan I still have fond memories of our golden treble season – 2 lost cup finals and then relegation due to a points deduction

Despite my token “Bah” up there, I’m glad to see Bournemouth go up. I like the cut of their jib and Boro is mostly Chelsea reserves anyway, which I don’t much like

chambord
    Free Member

Stay in the Championship, with an aim of winning more games than you lose but ultimately losing in the playoffs and avoiding the need for all that nastiness. It’s the future.

Here here!

Signed,
    Forest fan.

Btw, congrats to Bournemouth 😉 Incredible achievement.

Mackem

If (when) Sunderland go down, it’ll be nice to see us win a few games.

MoreCashThanDash

As a soon to be disappointed Ipswich fan living in Derby, I know what this must mean to Bournemouth fans. And they’ve done it playing decent football and banging in goals.

I hope they enjoy next season, and get a few more in the Premier League afterwards. Let’s hope they are sensible with their expectations and finances, tough line to tread for smaller clubs trying to stay in the big time.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Mind you this has been funded on Russian money…..more of which may be forthcoming to give them a decent chance of staying up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@theotherjonv, great post. The PL hasn’t been too bad for Swansea and after a rest in the Championship Southampton are back in style. If Bournemouth are smart they will make sure they turn a decent profit in the PL and if they can stay up then so be it.

With ‘old ‘arry living round the corner perhaps he can give them some advice

I have to say I am definitely up for a game or two there.

scaredypants

With ‘old ‘arry living round the corner perhaps he can give them some advice

and there’s yer nightmare scenario, friends !

chipsngravy
    Free Member

A very, very happy man.

NSFW

[video]https://youtu.be/nC3ZxYKL1rg[/video]

pete68
    Free Member

If Bournemouth have any sense they’d bar Harry from the ground now. They really don’t need that kind of help. As has been said backed by a wealthy Russian and apparently one of the highest wage bills in the division. Eddie howe seems a good manager though. His sort of progressive style would be great to see at the England national setup.

NZCol

I dunno if anyone else listened to the 5Live commentary last night but I was in stitches. Such classics as “There would need to be a bigger Swing on Saturday than one of those parties you have round your house”
    The interviews with the guys sitting next to the commentary box were brilliant as well. Good work boys.

theotherjonv

True enough Andrew Bird. But I’ll see your Swansea and raise you a Leeds, a Bolton, a Wigan, a Blackpool, a Fulham, and if the season was 3 games longer, us as well.

Serious point. The disparity in money and wages and everything that goes with it gets bigger each year despite whatever FFP is supposed to do to reduce it. It’s like walking a tightrope, as long as you stay steady then it’s not so hard. But once you start to wobble, it’s almost impossible to correct, the wobbles go from side to side, get bigger and bigger, and when you fall you fall hard.

It happens so often it’s not coincidence, a side gets promoted, chucks money at it on the back of TV revenues and sponsorship deals, last a couple of seasons and then go down. Then you have maybe a window of 2-4 seasons to get back in. This time it’s for keeps. If you can stabilise at that point, you can really start to budget on the basis of a prolonged stay. If you go back down again…… then you’re in trouble.

Yet every year, we hope it’s us again…………….

the-muffin-man

That seems to be Derby Counties plan!

5 points clear at the top a few months ago – nah that’ll never do. We need lose all that lead and have to grind a result out on the final day just to stay in the play-offs.

…and Mr Brolly is off to Newcastle at the end of the season.

Oh – good luck to Bournemouth – if I were in their shoes I’d treat to PL as a few months jolly! Spend bugger-all, take the windfall cash and have security for a good few years.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Good luck Bournemouth, doing it playing great football!

Have to say I worry about a club with a large wage bill and tiny ground (<12000*) in the Premier League though. I hope there’s an exit strategy.

*for reference I think the next smallest is Loftus Road at ~19,000.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

theotherjonv – that is spot on

As a disgruntled Bolton fan I hope Bournemouth enjoy next season but it can be a hard slog. Bolton were completely outclassed last night.

Oh, and that Charlton tweet – saw it last night, brilliant.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

As mentioned Swansea have done it . No reason Bmth can’t. UTCIAD!!

chestrockwell

As has already been mentioned, it’s not quite the romantic ‘little club’ story it first seems. They have a billionaire backer, were able to spend 3m on one player last summer and escaped FFP sanctions by the skin of their teeth this season. They did very well to rise from the foot of League 2 to the top of League 1 with very little money but once the money came in it stopped being about luck.

Saying all that, well done Bournemouth. Hope you turn out to be a Burnley/Swansea rather then a Blackpool/Wigan/Bradford.

From a Leeds fan who has just about had enough of football and the crooks in it.

Rorschach
    Free Member

MoreCashThanDash

muffin man – if they’d stopped the season in January, Derby and Ipswich could have gone up automatically, and my dad’s beloved Sunderland would still have been there to greet us – three happy generation in the MoreCash household

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I feel we should commend Rorschach for his commitment.

binners

Next Seasons Burnley. The team everyone would really like to stay up, but in reality……

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Next Seasons Burnley. The team everyone would really like to stay up, but in reality…..

I just want Sean Dyche to stay up. Hopefully he’ll get given the West Ham job, if Burnley go down.

nullpointer
    Free Member

Time to start reminding people of my days playing for AFC Bournemouth in my youth I think!

Rockape63
    Free Member

It’s brilliant seeing a club this small making the big time. They’re probably the smallest club since my team Swansea got promoted 4 years ago in a very similar rags to riches story. Funnily enough there was a film made about that last year called ‘Jack to a King’ – would be an interesting watch for any footie fan whether you like Swansea or not.

Although Swansea were in the big time once before under John Toshack….the Cherries have never been there.

lemonysam
    Free Member

after a rest in the Championship Southampton are back in style.

This does rather gloss over the bit where they dropped to league 1 and went into administration.

Edit: On the Swansea point, the stadium Bournemouth play in is smaller than The Vetch used to be and only just over half the capacity of the Liberty… They’re a tiny, tiny club – by ground capacity they’d be in the bottom half of league one.

mefty
    Free Member

They are certainly the “smallest” club I can think of who have made it into the first tier in my lifetime, Dean Court only holds 12,000. I guess Wigan are a possible as they were elected to the league in my life.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The DW holds 25,000*. Oldham at Boundary Park would be the smallest – though only for the first two seasons of the PL.

*in theory

mefty
    Free Member

That’s why I said a possible, although before promotion to the PL, Wigan’s average gate was less than 12,000.

EDIT: Oldham were in the first tier in the early 20s and as a Huddersfield fan that was a very important era! No obvious criteria for judging the smallest but Bournemouth are certainly in the mix.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Now, I don't follow the round ball game, but…..’ is closed to new replies.