Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Novice Trails near South London
  • gcaster
    Free Member

Hello,

I’ve been away from biking (and the STW forum) for about 5 years now and the OH and I are both buying XC bikes for some weekend fun/fitness.
    Going back to my uni days I did a lot of trail/AM riding including a trip to Morzine doing some heavier stuff. She, on the other hand, has no MTB experience.

Can anyone recommend any trail centres or other good single track trails accessible by car from SW London (thinking Surrey/Sussex/Kent, we live near Wimbledon). Specifically rides that would be suitable for teaching a novice how to ride and keeping me entertained without putting her off?

I’ve been recommended Swinley Forest from guys at work so might give that a go first.

Thanks
    G

Murray

Swinley – Wimbledon to Bracknell is quick – I used to commute Tooting to Bracknell.
    Bedgbury – M25 then A21, probably about the same time
    Surrey Hills – closer, but not a trail centre, so not as suited to a beginner

daver27
    Free Member

Definitely Swinley for a novices first rides out, theres a good mix of singletrack/distance and easy bailout points which makes it not too daunting.

other than that, Surrey Hills are always a great day out

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Swinley +1

Or if you want more ‘XC’ rather than trail centre. Get the train a few stops furhter (assuming you;d use Martins Herron for Swinley) to Reading, then change and go to Pangbourne and plot some routes in the Chilterns with an OS map. The hills are bigger (it’s all relative, it’s still not mountains) and steeper, but the trails are more varied (mostly mud this time of year though) and you get views rather than just endless managed pine forrest.

kilo

Swinley or peaslake Surrey hills you could look for some of the easier trails on Strava : telegraph poles, bits of BKB are quite benign.

gcaster
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. I guess we will try Swinley first and then head into the Surrey hills once she’s getting the hang of it. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Novice Trails near South London’ is closed to new replies.