Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Novatec hubs
  • cchris2lou

Need to change the bearings on some Novatec hubs .

bearings have a number on them and widely available but how do I get them out ?

the axle is threaded and the hub cap screws on the axle . is it just a case of taking one cap off and hammering the axle out ?

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

YouTube, YouTube?

stuker
    Free Member

Novatec are the same as Superstar AFAIK. I recently had to change the bearings on my SS rear hub. The end cap on the non drive side screws off and then the axle and freehub body slides out (might need a what to dislodge it). You can then see the bearings. You will see they are separated by a tube that obscures the race so it difficult to drift them out from the opposing side but you can give it a go. I used blind bearing puller to extract them in the end.

njee20
    Free Member

Novatec are the same as Superstar AFAIK

Some Superstar hubs are Novatec, but not all. So, sort of. Sounds like your one was though, but I can’t imagine a blind bearing puller being the easiest.

Give the axle a gentle tap and see what happens!

stuker
    Free Member

this video from Novatec shows the guy using a blind puller to extract the first bearing and then he drifts out the other one.

cchris2lou

Thanks but it is for a front hub.

jairaj

If the Novatech hubs you have are similar to the Superstar Switch hubs. Then its pretty much the same process as the video just skip part where he takes the freehub off.

Either pull the end caps off if you have 20mm or 15mm through axle, or if using QR use cone spanner to screw the caps out. The QR axle might need a tap with with a hammer to slide out.

Inside the hub you will see there is a metal shelve that sits between the two bearings preventing good access to the inner bearing race. In the video you can see pop out at 1.59. In my Superstar hubs there was a 1mm gap between the sleeve and the bearings allowing a small screw driver or drift to get enough purchase to hammer the bearing out. Once one side is out it will allow better access to the remaining bearing making it much easier.

Then push the new bearings back in either with threaded rods and washers or a proper tool.

cchris2lou

Great thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Novatec hubs’ is closed to new replies.