• This topic has 24 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by nixie.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Novatec hubs?
  • ratherbeintobago

Any good? Contemplating a new wheel set for #1 spawn’s bike; would need 130h spacing and 32h drilling, and Hopes would be a tad above budget…

P20

Yes, work fine. I’ve got one in the back of the full suss and a full set on the gravel bike. Great value

wzzzz
    Free Member

Have them on 3 bikes

1 set XD bought years ago from aliexpress (very cheap on there)
    1 set XD boost wheels from superstar
    1 set shimano rebranded prime r020 from wiggle on ebay

No issues yet.. but you can get spares fairly cheap and the bearings are easy to change. Internet has some people breaking ratchet rings but mine are all fine, only abut a fiver anyway.

Don’t pay too much for them 😉

Northwind

I got one of the higher end sets, from aliexpress so it still cost bugger all. Very pleased tbh. Usually I’m a DT240 fanboy, and those are superb but these work and are light and all that good stuff

chakaping
    Free Member

Which model?

The front ones are all fine but some of the rear have been problematic.

ratherbeintobago

@chapaking Which ones need to be avoided?

chakaping
    Free Member

I had bad experiences with the D642 rear hubs. Two of them.

Surprised because all the rebadged Superstar ones I’d had before were simple and reliable, so now I’d lean towards their more basic offerings I suppose.

P20

I’d have to check but I think mine are 792

pdw
    Free Member

I’ve got a couple of pairs of D791SB/D792SBs, and a couple more of the predecessors (711/2 and 771/2) and they’re all good. One pair has done getting on for 10k winter road miles, the others have suffered general CX abuse. Not had any issues part from worn bearings.

uggski

I believe Hunt wheels use their hubs and they seem to get good write ups.

ratherbeintobago

Looks like it’s 135mm I need rather than 130. Any models to avoid?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Id get the most expensive ones 791 / 792. Still not that expensive.

Mine are on the CX bike so hundreds of miles soaked in mud, subject to shock loads, bashed over rough ground on skinny tyres, high torques/low gears, and they’ve been faultless.

I think ive had cheaper ones OEM on other bikes, they’re heavy and seemed to need more fettling.

Keando

Novatec supplied on my SC Tallboy 3 – nearly 18 months old and no problems so far.

That’s gone and done it now. They’ll go and fail on the next ride.

D0NK

Aliexpress never used it, wow seriously cheap, how reliable is it?
    Do the hubs come with novatec’s own bearings in them or do whoever rebrands them put bearing of their choice in? ie cheap rebrand = cheap & nasty bearings?

zerolight
    Free Member

The one that came on my Hightower seized up two or three times about a month into ownership. Then it righted itself and two years later it’s still working fine and moved to the Ripmo. I’d not choose to buy one right enough, but it’s been fine other than that initial weirdness. I’ve read reports of them chewing up their pawls. I’d probably go Hope Pro 4, despite the racket they make.

ratherbeintobago

If money was no object then I’d be going Pro4

ratherbeintobago

Bumpity bump.

Apparently need 135mm non-disk. Which no-one seems to make any more.

Anyone got any suggestions? Novatec seem to have stopped…

drewd

Bumpity bump.

Apparently need 135mm non-disk. Which no-one seems to make any more.

Anyone got any suggestions? Novatec seem to have stopped…

So long as it’s a 135mm I’d have thought you could use a disc hub without attaching a disc.

Someone above recommend their 791 & 792s, so I’d be inclined to go with those.

chakaping
    Free Member

I think those of you with SC bikes have the same hubs that I experienced problems with. Do you have E13 TRS rims?

Just FYI, they are close enough in size to a Pro 4 that you can swap over without changing the spokes, should you wish.

dannyh
    Free Member

The axles on the rebadged Superstar ones were made of cheese, something a bit crumbly like Wensleydale.

The much better but substantially (relatively) heavier steel upgrade doesn’t cost too much, though.

Don’t know if things have improved.

It bloody hurt when the cassette fell off onto my foot when I put my bike in the car the second time, though…

BoardinBob

The one that came on my Hightower seized up two or three times about a month

Hightower LT here. Original wheels had unbranded Novatec hubs. Freehub pawls disintegrated on me one day. Post incident research suggested this was a common problem

Conversely, I’ve had at least 3 sets of Superstar wheels using Novatec hubs and never had any issues.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

These are the ones I have on the CX bike. From that seller too.

£65/pair is a bargain!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263220864410

wzzzz
    Free Member

I think the santa cruz ones that go bad are the d642 as noted above, the pawls crack

Stick to d791 / 792 no worries

Just get the disc hubs, they will fit and work fine on a rim brake build.

if you 791/2 QR you can get axles for them for £10 if you move to a thru axle frame. bear in mind axles are difference 6 bolt / centre lock. You can get steel axles if you like to break things.

Bearing quality is OK, superstar specced upgraded SKF on some. Mine have lasted OK and replaced with SKF. For the price you cannot complain, just replace with high spec ones when you need to.

wzzzz
    Free Member

£58 a pair https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32564892636.html

For a kids bike you could go d041/2 for £45 a pair, con’t convert these to thru axle though https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967035829.html

nixie

Is it a front or rear wheel you really need? If rear I’ve a non disk bontrager hub and Ritchey rim you can have (26″). Just needs spokes and building.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Novatec hubs?’ is closed to new replies.