Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Notubes Crest vs Arch Ex 29er Rims for a fatty xc rider
  • jorgemrnh
    Free Member

Hi there guys,

So i have a alexrims/slx wheels that are stuck in my garage and as my crossrides are full of play, i’m thinking about put some tubeless rims in the slx hubs.

I weight 94kg in this moment (hopefully less in the future xD) and i ride a BMC Fourstroke 29, a XC bike. It’s a xc bike but i like to shred a little bit (not to much as i try to avoid stairs and big jumps).

This video can illustrate very well what i usually ride. Welcome to Portugal

I did this with the Alex RIms XD Comp, Mavic Crossrides, and for 4 years with some Fulcrum red metal 5 wheels and i never had a problem, even when i weight 107kg.

I want to save some weight as my bike is around 13kg, but above all i want reliability.

Can you guys help me? Will the Crest be stiff enought for me?

nuke

You sound perfect for 148×12 😈

Crest are great rims but I reckon go with arch ex…only 80g more each end

danti

Arch ex for your weight and intended use, if you’re not planning on building them yourself it may work out cheaper to get some 2nd hand hope hoops.

vondally
    Free Member

arch ex for me at 94kgs to 98kgs………………I am really clumsy and they have been great

Can I ask where is that in Portugal?

dobo
    Free Member

Pacenti TL28 as an alternative, they are somewhere between arch and Flows in width and probably about as tough as arch but opinions vary. Less flexy than crests for sure, dont get them at your weight in 29er..

rsvktm

I’m 82kg and use 29er crests for xc racing and sometime trail use but find them quite soft in direction changes (don’t turn that well) but the rims have held up to a fair bit of abuse, use arch for most other riding and would rate them especially as your over 10kg heavier.
    However I’m treating myself to a set of American classics races for next year as they are stiff and light, but spendy.

jorgemrnh
    Free Member

Yeah, maybe it’s better to go with the arch ex. I had doubts just about the weight, because ion total it may be a 150g difference that in a bike can be noticed very very easily.

vondally, it is in Fafe, a city near Guimarães or about 70km distance of Oporto.

Heres one more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJsl76Z6Wic (The best part is after the middle)

By the way guys, between put some arch ex in those shimano slx hubs (qr15/12x142mm) for 150€ and buy some dt swiss m1900 spline for 220€, what would you choose?

vondally
    Free Member

good video/s….sunny Portugal looks a lot like NW UK at the moment 😉

goodluck with the wheels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Notubes Crest vs Arch Ex 29er Rims for a fatty xc rider’ is closed to new replies.