Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Nottingham residents – can you help? (food related)
  • Kit
    Free Member

Yo, I’m staying overnight in the centre of Nottingham next week and I have the choice of being ripped off by paying the hotel £6.50 for breakfast, or sorting something cheaper in town.

If I eat out it needs to be a) open by 8:30am and b) have a gluten free option.

A quick google reveals only Pret-a-manger open at that time, but unless I want a salad there’s bugger all that isn’t made from bread/wraps. I’m sure there must be other wee caffs that open early doors and can do me a boiled egg!

So…any suggestions? Fanks!

Kit

Onzadog
    Free Member

If you don’t mind slumming it a bit, there’s hollies on parliament street near the main marrion way end. Looks like the sort of place that belongs at skegness or great yarmouth. You know, vinyl covered benches and formica tables but it’s cheap and you’ll probably not get food poisoning. They should be open by then.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Had a bit of a think and a look on the net. All the nice places like Homemade and Alley Cafe appear to be closed at that time. What do you want to come to Notts for anyway? It’s horrible… 😉

iain1775
    Free Member

Head to hockey / lace Market area
    From Market square walk down lhs of council house and up a slight hill (pelham street) there is a place on right and another on the left don’t know what they are called (I’m no longer notts local but live in derby) bit I’m sure you will see them I think one on right is called homemade, nice little independent cafe
    Dunno what time it opens but the food is great all local produce and caters for all food allergies/lifestyles etc
    They do some good breakfasts

iain1775
    Free Member

Yeah scratch that homemade opens at 9
    http://homemadecafe.com/
    There is always Sonyas caf in radford 😉

funkynick

For the best breakfast you need to go to Brown Bettys… it’s just off Market Square, you need to find the Bell Inn and go down the wide alley a little to the left. Brown Bettys is just down there on the left.

No idea if they can do gluten free, but it’s a small family owned sandwich shop which opens early for breakfasts. It might be worth giving them a call and they might be able to sort something out for you.

Dammit… now I want to go there for breakfast tomorrow!

Edit: the website is Brown Bettys

iain1775
    Free Member

Oh yeah +1 for brown bettys

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Gingham Kitchen?

KidCragg
    Free Member

Jam Cafe for me!

joemarshall
    Free Member

Greasy spoon by the train station used to be okay if you like that sort of thing. (the one just down towards town on the same side as the road you come out of the station on) You’d be having no toast and no sausages obviously though.

geoffj

If you are ‘intolerant’ rather than allergic, the pret porridge is an option?

Or here http://www.delilahfinefoods.co.uk/take-away.htm

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is the Elbow Cafe still there?

Kit
    Free Member

Gents, thank very much!

What do you want to come to Notts for anyway? It’s horrible…

I’m there for a conference, unsurprisingly. Funny, the last time I was in Nottingham was 15 years ago, almost exactly. I was there for an AD&D tournament at a role-playing games convention, of all things! I distinctly remember waking up on a miserable, grey morning in one of the Uni tower block flats, and turning on the radio to hear that Princess Diana had died. I was only 16 – a very surreal experience!

Here’s hoping I have a better trip this time 😉

ChrisA
    Free Member

hockley cafe is opposite ice 9 is great, brown bettys or if your a bit later, homemade are all good shouts.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham residents – can you help? (food related)’ is closed to new replies.