Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Nottingham council ban all employees from smoking. Good luck!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

No more smoking or p45

Saw this on the local news this morning and just assumed I misread it, how in christs name are they going to make it stick for such people as contractors working away from council property.
    I also wouldnt want to be in an office with a load of suddenly ex smokers needing a fix.
    Bit too nanny state if you ask me!

mcobie
    Free Member

Reads to me as stopping employees from smoking on council property or council owned vehicles – not just banning employees from smoking in general…as far as I was aware it’s against the law to smoke in a workplace (so this will include council vehicles), so it’s not that much of a stretch to then ban it on council owned property in general.

It’ll be interesting to know how they plan on policing the ban though…

Northwind

This is mostly just enforcing the law, surely? Smoking in the workplace is already banned, smoking in company vehicles is banned outright if more than 1 person uses them, and is only allowed with permission if only 1 person uses it…

So the 2 bits which go beyond that, are “on company property” and “while working but not in the office”

MoreCashThanDash

Also extends it e-cigs as well, but otherwise it’s just the current legislation.

irc

“while working but not in the office”

So they are banning smoker from smoking for 8 hours a day. Good luck.

One of my employers is just bringing in a ban on personal mobiles being carried anywhere at work combined with a ban on using work phones for personal calls. As the control room has a track record of taking 4 hours to pass on a message about someone going into labour and the control room phone regularly rings out for 20 minutes at a time I’m interested to see how this one goes. I predict phones on silent and other phones left in the lockers adjoining the office to be ringing loudly regularly during the day.

It follows on from the recent requirement for one class of employees to sign a bit of paper saying they understood they would be disciplined if they parked in the car park reserved for the office employees who start later in the day. I didn’t sign it.

Actually once I get out the base on the road I enjoy the variety of the job and work with a regular partner I get on with. And I only work two days a week so it isn’t all bad.

Northwind

irc – Member

So they are banning smoker from smoking for 8 hours a day

Specifically says it doesn’t include lunch breaks.

TBH smoking breaks are pretty bloody disruptive, and I’d bet 10p that most people who say “Oh I’m using flexitime” just aren’t coming close. I used to work with a guy who’d be away for 10 minutes an hour without fail for a fag, and if challenged reacted much like I’d do if you told me not to do a bloody sugar test- he acted like it was tactless to even mention it 😆 Good scam if you can get away with it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

It will cover non council employees such as subbed etc. So in theory it would apply to a painter working in a school during the summer holidays who would normally have a fag during his morning break. And possibly a building inspector who comes out to site in his own car is also banned from smoking as he’s on council business.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good scam if you can get away with it.

I bet their smoking is less than your internet use 😉

TBH – ex smoker- if you have an employee who is addicted to a substance and its legal to use said substance not allowing them access to said substance wont
    1) work – they will “skive ” to get a fag – they have no choice its addiction.
    2) make them better at their job as they get a bit cranky without a fix

I dont really see why companies try to do this tbh but the fag break every hour is a piss take.

Northwind

Junkyard – lazarus

I bet their smoking is less than your internet use

Yeah but I’m not selfrighteous about it!

footflaps

Our local Hospital is a non smoking site, you see Nurses and Doctors stood in the field next to it having a smoke….

wrightyson
    Free Member

[/quote] you see Nurses and Doctors stood in the field next to it having a smoke….
    But that wont be allowed according to the article, clearly states no smoking full stop unless on lunch break.

nealglover
    Free Member

And possibly a building inspector who comes out to site in his own car is also banned from smoking as he’s on council business.

Doesn’t apply in that case.

y are banning smoker from smoking for 8 hours a day. Good luck

No they aren’t.

It’s almost as though people don’t read the linked article before commenting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Yeah but I’m not selfrighteous about it!

😆

No mention of whether you were addicted though 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Well I read the linked article as I posted it and it will apply to the building inspector scenario.

Try reading again…

Employees working on behalf of the council away from the office are banned from smoking

wrightyson
    Free Member

And I appreciate we are splitting hairs here but HR are going to have a jolly old time of it I’d say.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The council are selling it for the sake of the health of their staff, more likely they’re trying to kerb the unofficial breaks smokers seem to feel entitled to – my last please, 5th floor of an office block no smoking on the grounds which meant every morning and afternoon 3 of the people in my team would waltz off for a fag, for 30-40 mins by the time they’ve got there, puffed and chatted away and walked back,

skids
    Free Member

good luck stopping the bin men, street sweepers

gordimhor

And the the nightwatchmen flame keepers
    Smoking tune

kimbers

It’s gonna screw the council over in pension liabilities, tho, if all their workers love longer they’ll have to pension them for longer too

mattyfez

I suppose it’s fair enough, if they are working then they can’t smoke.. But in the case of people out in the field, they are still entitled to thier break times, presumably they just stop working for 15 mins and go get a coffee or whatever.. There’s nothing to stop them smoking then as they are not on council property and it’s thier own time?

binners

In true public sector fashion, they’ve also banned e-cigs

Genius!

Thus banning the most effective way for smokers to quit! What on earth is the ‘logic’ at work there?

Instead of making a sanctimonious, self-righteous, headline grabbing, health-nazi political statement, in effect forcing everyone to stop smoking, they had an opportunity to support people in quitting in a sensible fashion. But they decided not to do that. They wanted a headline instead

Well done all involved! I foresee no problems at all implementing and enforcing their new policy.

Cocks!!

carlosg
    Free Member

I work for Royal Mail and we’ve already had something similar to this implemented , a number of staff members (10) walked into the yard a few weeks back and just stood around while the temporary manager and a couple of others were having an extra fag break. He them until they said if he was entitled to a fag break then they were taking a fresh air break. Impromptu fag breaks are now banned !

mrsfry
    Free Member

It’s gonna screw the council over in pension liabilities, tho, if all their workers love longer they’ll have to pension them for longer too

I never knew that ‘Loveing longer’ can affect pensions! 😳

hora
    Free Member

I hate smoking, anything to do with smoking. Do you really think those liquid chemicals superheated and sucked into your susper sensitive lung walls is also good for you?

How many people die premature through cancer, heart attacks or other linked diseases due to smoking?

Sorry good riddance death Sticks.

E-cigs are just a method to keep the nicotine addiction going. Prolonging it. Just get off the ****.

Plus… Ecig users always look shifty 😆

Signed, the bloke who mtfu and went cold turkey not being an addict 8) 😀

kimbers

Do you really think those liquid chemicals superheated and sucked into your susper sensitive lung walls is also good for you?

no one knows for sure, what the long term effects of ecigs will be , but short term they are far, far better for you than proper fags, they have the potential to change the health of the nation for the better, legislation should catch up with this.

mattyfez

Ecigs are not good for you, but they are around 1000 times less cytotoxic than tobacco, so make of that what you will. The liquid chemical carrier liquid is vegetable glycerol..

hora
    Free Member

[Foaming anti smoking content] 😀

kimbers

i cant remmber what the numbers were but a talk from CRUK last month they reckoned that ecigs improved your chance of quitting totally better than any other aid out there at the moment

There’s a public school near where I live which has a sitewide smoking ban.
    Problem is that a public footpath runs right through the grounds. Can’t see how they can enforce that one.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham council ban all employees from smoking. Good luck!’ is closed to new replies.