Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Nottingham
  • molgrips
    Free Member

How rough is it? Would you walk around the city centre in the evening carrying a camera?

Jamie
    Free Member

Shottingham? Yup. But then I’m a double hard bastard.*

*You’ll be fine.

BoardinBob

Was down for the UFC a few months ago. The city centre was grim during the day and we walked through it about midnight on the way back to the hotel. It was an absolute riot. Drunken carnage everywhere, saw a couple of fights. Much like a lot of city centres but I felt it was a lot worse than Glasgow on a Saturday night.

sobriety
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, just don’t go wandering round the meadows or sneinton with it. Although there’s not much to photo in either of those!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Like most cities, there are areas tomstay away from, just those are a bit more hardcore in nottingham. Meadows, St Anns and to a lesser degree Sneinton are pretty scary.though Sneinton has a strong community spirit. More likely to be taken care of in a good way there, especially on the dale.

The centre is fine. Big student community, so pretty safe in that repsect. Evening in the centre with a camera, just fine

You’ll be fine, just don’t go wandering round the meadows or sneinton with it. Although there’s not much to photo in either of those!

Sneinton dragon? Greens mill? Bendigo? Do you know sneinton?

wrightyson
    Free Member

What a load of bollocks! Notts has never been scary in the actual centre!

molgrips
    Free Member

I thought city centre was nice earlier this week, in the daytime.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Its fine any time

ChrisA
    Free Member

You’ll be fine in the centre of town, crime wise, it’s no different to any other city.

Legoman
    Free Member

My old stomping ground. Used to be rough as, but city centre is no worse than most others now.
    My worst experience was back in ’89, got turned away from a Forest game so had a couple of hours to kill waiting for mates who got in. Took a wrong turn out of the TBI and wandered into the Meadows…. found a nice friendly local boozer….. never been so scared in all my adult life and I had a local accent!

Forest lost to top off a great day.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Too right, though in fairness, even the UFC guys didn’t go into st Ann’s

timc
    Free Member

same as any other city, couple of rough area’s, mainly fine

ebygomm
    Free Member

Yes, wouldn’t think twice about it

The sky mirror is cool

And the fountains in market square are good for reflections

sobriety
    Free Member

I used to live there! Suppose the dragon would be good. Seeing armed police on a regular basis/cars getting burned/living next door to a smackhead whose dealers turned the house into a drug den while was in prison/finding a knife under my door mat may have clouded my memories somewhat…

It was cheap while I was saving for a house of my own though!

ste_t
    Free Member

The city is fine. The place is a ghost town at the moment anyway so wouldn’t stress.

Edit: can’t wait to get out mind. Place has ruined my riding but the girlfriend insistd we stay here for a year before heading back towards North Wales

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ay up.. ( sorry that’s Derbyshire talk ) its a nice city, but rough in parts but even then it’s not a war zone or anything like..

If you taking your camera go over to where the old Mills are, some nice restaurants there and you should get some nice shots of the old buildings..

Notts is quite a nice place in all.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Ste t. Ruined your riding? It’s not that bad here surely?

molgrips
    Free Member

Just packed the camera, with 9-18mm wide angle. Need to get to grips with that thing, a city might be a good place.

sobriety
    Free Member

I’m going to be moving as well, the lack of decent doorstep riding is definitely a factor, coming from the surrey hills originally and having lived in Sheffield for 5 years spoiled me!

thegreatape
    Free Member

I used to live in Radford. Worst thing that happened to me was when a case of wine got nicked out of my shed.

ste_t
    Free Member

vdubber67 – I moved to Nottingham after 4 years on the North Wales coast, waking up to either sea views or mountain views, so the place does feel a bit lacking.

Happy to meet anyone local who can show me the sights!

mildred

A friend of mine offered the opinion:

“Think of any place in the UK – they’re all pretty much nice places with the odd pocket of shite. Nottingham is just the other way round – it’s shite with the odd pocket of nice”.

I’d have to agree & I live there too.

The council planning dept. or whoever makes the decisions over what can and can’t be built must be blind. They will happily allow ANY monstrosity to be built in ANY part of the city irrespective of the surroundings. So for example you’ll often find a prefabricated square concrete horror next to a beautiful gothic building. Some cities have a sort if iggledy piggledy charm that just works whereas Nottingham does anything but. However, that could be just the reason to pack a camera..!

grantway
    Free Member

Molgrips thought you was looking at the town called Brecon

zokes
    Free Member

Don’t worry molgrips – I thought your camera was small and discrete, so noone will notice it 😉

joemarshall
    Free Member

On moving from a medium dodgy area of London (prostitutes on the street sometimes but never got mugged and not too druggy), Nottingham on a Saturday night was pretty scary. That was 8 years ago though – nowadays it is mostly okay. I wouldn’t spend too much time on Upper Parliament Street or Market Square where all the cheap pubs are late on a Saturday, but otherwise it is fine in all the bits you’re likely to go to as a visitor.

molgrips
    Free Member

Grantway, I am not moving there, just visiting for work.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

I live in Nottingham and always feel very safe here. I walk around the city centre alone at night, feel very safe. I live the other side of the Meadows and work in the centre so have to go through the Meadows every day, several times a week at night and also always feel very safe.
    My running routes take me through all the ‘dodgy’ areas (Meadows, St Anns, Sneinton) but I have always found the scary-looking hoodies very polite when I actually say hello to them!

Hope you have a nice trip!

ste_t – have you checked out natsmtb? We ride every weekend (pretty good pace for a club) and if you come to a weekend ride you will most likely find a few peeps who live near you and can also show you the local night rides.

Megatron

I live and work in the city centre.
    Yes, some of the local inhabitants are ‘interesting’, and it does have possibly more than its fair share of concrete monstrosities… But there are always good and bad bits in each city. Plus I’ve only heard 1 person being shot so it can’t be that bad 😉

Will have to find my bikes and look up natsmtb.. Do they let in singlespeeders?

BoardinBob

Hanging about on a Sunday waiting for a flight home and we ended up in some decrepit shopping mall near the big square. The place had a Wimpy in it! The land that time forgot.

ste_t
    Free Member

LadyAlexMTB – cheers for that. I’ll have a look now. Problem for me is that I work every Saturday and Sunday so confined to weekday rides.

BoardinBob – that’ll be Broadmarsh. A truly horrific ‘shopping’ experience, places like that just shouldn’t exist.

LadyAlexMTB
    Free Member

Megatron – singlespeeders more than welcome. We have several. We even have a couple of fixed riders!

alexpalacefan

ste t, Hi there, I work strange hours too, so could be free for rides in the week, e-mail sent

Alex 🙂

keithb

Handy thread this, given I’ve just moved back to Nottingham after some years away.

Do NATS do local week-night rides?

Cheers,
    Keith

molgrips
    Free Member

Walk from train station to town via scruffy concrete underpass – check
    Dilapidated shopping centre – check
    People having a screaming argument in the street – check
    Scruffy people in tracksuits – check

However aside from all that are some lovely medieval streets done out rather smartly and some really beautiful buildings. Not a bad city centre overall, could do with more consistency 🙂

I am still in possession of my camera.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Walked by a Middle Aged woman at about 3pm on Christmas Eve up through hockley who’d got a huge bifta going. She never even batted an eye lid when one of the kids asked what that smell was 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Is Axeman (Andrew) still floating around?

Edric64
    Free Member

My brother owned a place in the Meadows for about 10 years it didnt seem to bad

molgrips
    Free Member

So if I want to go for a run, from the city centre, where’s a good place to go? I don’t want to run through gangland 🙂

lodious
    Free Member

Out towards Beeston or West Bridgford? Avoid Clifton, Meadows, Snenton, Hyson Green, Bestwood, Broxtowe…

lodious
    Free Member

…st. anns, Radford, Basford

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Nottingham’ is closed to new replies.