Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • not losing any weight despite exercise (lots of)??
  • renton
    Free Member

right i after some help here as im at my wits end!!

basically over the past 2 or so months Ive drastically changed my diet and exercise regime and i haven't lost any weight??

basically ive cut all spoons of sugar( i worked it out at 23 spoonfuls a day!!) and coffee from my diet .

ive also upped the amount of exercise ive been doing to 4 times a week for an hour at a time .

im just not losing any weight??

why is this ?

deft
    Free Member

Have you cut some, y'know, food as well as sugar?

warton
    Free Member

have you lost fat though?

GhostRider
    Free Member

What wieght are you? do you realy need to loose any more ?

renton
    Free Member

yep cut out all the crisps and biscuits etc!!

renton
    Free Member

im 113 kgs which is about 17.5 stone.

need to be 90kgs or 13.5 stone.

6 foot tall btw

Keva
    Free Member

more info needed here…

how would you describe your build ?

how many calories are you consuming per day… roughly ?

what are you doing four times per week for exercise ?

Kev

KINGTUT
    Free Member

im 113 kgs which is about 17.5 stone.

23 spoons of sugar, christ.

You are overweight, I'm 6'2" and 13 stone 10 and consider myself to be 0.5 of a stone overweight.

Simply put, you need to eat less, to be 17.5 stone at your height (unless you are a body builder or power lifter) means you are consuming too many calories.

sc-xc

ive also upped the amount of exercise ive been doing to 4 times a week for an hour at a time .

4 hours a week is not very much.

Be ruthless, cut out all the shit and do something every day to burn calories. And coffee is good fpr weight loss.

oldgit
    Free Member

****ed if I know!

GhostRider
    Free Member

A few years back i went from similar wieght to you and at best got to 12.5st, i'm about 5'10" now i've levelled out at about 13.5st. The thing that make me get fat again is not getting on the bike and basically being a greedy b&st&rd. What worked for me when i was loosing weight was no carbs, very little fat but loads of protien, veg and fruit AND most importantly self control and will power. Good luck

samuri
    Free Member

although all exericse is good, if you're not burning fat, you're not losing weight. What sort of exercise are you doing? Do you work hard enough to start sweating, does it hurt?

renton
    Free Member

also feel quite lethargic in the day and sometimes could do with a nap at around 12.30.

not that unfit mind, did 7.5 round whites level and w2 on saturday .

when i exercise im a plodder , not got much explosive power if you know what i mean??

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Also what is your alcohol intake like, if you have a couple of beers every evening that'll soon mount up.

renton
    Free Member

x trainer for say 35-40 minutes heart rate upto 120-130bpm, get a sweat on alright!!

currently doing a return to running program given to me by my physio to help recover from an op i had in 2003!!

this consists of 12 mins fast pace walking and then 12 mins doing 2 min run, 1min walk and s on!!

light weight lots of reps!

renton
    Free Member

hardly any alcohol in the week and not much at w/end either

deft
    Free Member
    aracer
    Free Member

although all exericse is good, if you're not burning fat, you're not losing weight.

Total rubbish.

samuri
    Free Member

enlighten me then. How do you lose weight without burning fat?

samuri
    Free Member

to the OP, I think you just need to be patient. It'll come. 4 hours a week is a good start, try upping it when you feel able to. As above, keep an eye on what you're eating, if you see something you can cut out and replace with less fatty foods, try that. also look at when you're eating and with what regularity. try not to eat foods after mid evening and try to stick to regular eating times.

montylikesbeer

try this site below. You input your food at each meal and track the calories.

I lost two stone by restricting myself to 1800 calories per day, it worked for me.

food focus clicky

knottie8
    Free Member

read the labelling on food too. Sugar content is high on stuff you wouldnt think .

iDave
    Free Member

Cut out all white foods – bread, pasta, rice etc. Focus on protein, fresh fruit and veg. Don't drink any calories. Lots of water. No carbonated drinks – even 'diet' ones. Coffee is not to be avoided.

Also its sounds like you're exercising at too low an intensity

Intense intervals will shift fat much more quickly than steady low intensity work even if it's for a longer period.

Do some heavy resistance work with weights – squats, benchpress, etc

Fat never turns into muscle.

Forget about fat burning exercise, focus on calorie burning.

Walk/bike instead of driving.

Expect it to be **** hard – which hopefully will help you when it comes to staying slim in future.

Make a decision to do it, no excuses, no pity parties, make it stick.

Good luck.

iDave
    Free Member

Oh, and you don't need to finish every meal. It's as much wasted going in your gut as it is in the bin……… If you're not hungry anymore, the meal is finished.

Also most 'hunger' we think we feel is thirst/boredom – up the water intake….

saxabar
    Free Member

Or… take the longer term view. Gyms don't work for me, too boring. I try to make my exercise riding goal-oriented. I know that if I want to climb faster I have to have more stamina and speed which to me equates to running. If you're not a runner start easy on a mile or two and build up slowly – no need for heroics when we're trying to win the war (not the battle). I intersperse this with free weights and floor exercises at home. These involve a lot of press-ups and a variety and rotation of exercises with weights. The "Official British Army Fitness Guide" is good for this. I'm not as fussed by upper-body strength but I'm sure it helps on the downhill. Of course, all that money saved at the gym pays for a cheap trip for some downhill action to the Alps too!

Foodwise, as above, cut out the crap, but leave room for a little indulgence. This for me is top notch chocolate and I have a small amount every day after dinner or with coffee. Otherwise brown rice and veggie meals with meat (lean) once or twice a week. I rarely have butter, cheese or fat where it is not necessary. Be honest about your alcohol intake as this is where active blokes come unstuck. Interesting you mentioned having an energy drop around 12:30. I used to get this but sorted it by upping my breakfast and eating a little less for dinner. Try having a huge bowl of quality muesli (none of that sugary stuff) and make sure you have a good lunch too (tuna-salad with pulses, that sort of thing). HTH!

Solo
    Free Member

I think Monty, Knottie and iDave make some good points.

My point of view has always been to control my weight by chosing what to eat. Its ok to exercise like mad when you're young, but when you're older, the weight will go back on, unless you have learnt what works for you. You need to find a dietary solution for life.

I exercise for other reasons, not to control weight, but to keep all the important stuff in good working order, heart, lungs, etc and to slow the reduction of muscle tissue.

As MLB writes, I do believe that you need to get on board the calorie thing. I believe its quite simple, and I refer to you to a recent article in the mag discussing "energy balance". Those who consume too many calories could be regarded as being in "positive energy balance", according to the magazine article, hence the accumilation of excess calories as stored body fat.
    Therefore the obvious answer is to run a calorie deficit, as MontyLikesBeer points out. Then the body will get the additional calories it requires from your fat reserves.

As you know, theres a lot of opinion about what we should eat, I believe that you shouldn't cut out any particular nutrient, but should manage them all.
    Again I refer you to another article in the Mag where Pasta was discussed.
    I had always eaten pasta, but had forgotten about it in recent years. The article got me thinking, and I started eating it regularly again. Its certainly helped with that drousiness I use to feel between 12:00 and 3:00pm.
    40g of dried pasta (not egg based pasta), with perhaps a small tin of tuna in spring water and a simple, light, vinegarette type dressing, for lunch, has sorted me out for post lunch lack of energy. Pasta is low in fat, and has very good contents of carbohydrates and protein. Obvously I don't eat that everyday, but very the theme.

At this point I was going to list what I avoid and restrict in my own daily intake, but instead I very much endorse what Knottie8 recommends, which is to take the time, while shopping at the supermarket, to read the label, the nutritional content table.
    Its an eye opener for sure.

Also, very important, do not cut-out carbs and do not cut-out protein. Doing so will see your body getting these from your muscle tissue. The body will "harvest" protein from your muscles, if you don't give it any through your diet, and it will also acquire its carbs from the braking down of bodily protein.

I have a weekly eating routine, I know what I'm going to eat and why I'm eating it. I no longer get hungry between meals, although when the bordem sets in, its still tempting to drift towards the fridge…
    I do occassionally stray as mentioned earlier, perhaps once a month I'll have Fish-n-Chips. But its because I rarely have such food, that when I do, it is such a treat and I enjoy it all the more for that. IT could be Fish-n-Chips, could be a Ruby, whatever. I believe its impotant not to cut these things out entirely, but instead reserve them for rare occassions.

Watch your calories, exercise, do not cut-out any particular nutrient such as protein or carbohydrate, regain control of portion sizes and most importantly, imo, exercise your self discipline. Without that, nothing is going to change.

🙂

Solo.

Stainypants

i'm similar height to you and I've just come down from 17st to 15 1/2 over the past couple of months. You need to be brutally honest about how many calories you are consuming it takes alot of calories a day to keep your weight at 17 1/2 stone. I wouldn't go mad over excessive exercise yet, an hour running is only going to use up about 700 calories. Where as if you stick to 1800 a day you are 700 under the recommended amout for bloke everyday and any exercise you do will then be bonus. I'd stick to your plodding your less likely to do yourself an injury and the lower intensity will burn fat (but less calories overall).

I've not used it but if you struggle with the food labels use something like weight watchers points as they've all ready done the maths for you.

Nick

finbar
    Free Member

if you don't give it any through your diet, and it will also acquire its carbs from the braking down of bodily protein.

The human body isn't that stupid – you'll metabolise fat before you metabolise muscle.

bullheart
    Free Member

Right.

A couple of thing that might help.

Firstly, if you genuinely want to lose fat, walk quickly up hills with a weighted rucksack. The threshold for burning fat is relatively low (around 55% VO2 MAX), and the simple reason that people don't lose fat (not weight; this is different)is because its boring to train at this intensity.

Secondly, do you need to lose fat? What is your bodyfat%? Fat-free mass (muscle, bone)weighs considerably more that adipose tissue (fat)and therefore your weight isn't the important factor; BF% is. According to the Body Mass Index (BMI), I'm morbidly obese, but it doesnt take into account my muscle mass (high; ex pro rugby player) or BF% (low).

So don't panic! There are many factors that affect your weight. Your activity levels seem quite high compared to the ordinary man.

Qualifications:
    Research team, Carnegie International weight-loss Camp, LMU
    PE Teacher

tinribz
    Free Member

x trainer for say 35-40 minutes heart rate upto 120-135bpm,

Assuming your are not age 60 this is hardly exercising. I'd take some of that 'fat burning zone' stuff with a pinch of salt, total calories burned is a what it's really about.

HR should be nearer 150 and still sustainable.

When you (quickly) get bored of that go for intervals of 135 > 165 > 135, watching TV for 45 mins. You'll burn twice the calories in half the time, and get fitter and faster to boot.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

As has been said, to lose weight you need to be imbibing less calories than you're using. This is not fun, if, like me, you like your food.

4 hours exercise a week at moderate intensity is going to probably be between 600 and 1200 cal which isn't really enough. Its reckoned that 1000 cal per day defecit loses 1lb a week

Don't just focus on calorie use during exercise, be more active during the day – walk every lunchtime, take on the garden, walk after work, walk to the gym, walk more! generally being more active in your daily life can all add up.

Forget the hocus pocus and keep it simple. Don't eat what you know is stodge, replace simple carbs with complex carbs and reduce your portion sizes overall (important that one). Do not live like a monk, do not fast. You will only feel deprived and start bingeing. Keep yourself busy and you'll think about food less.

Cutting out potatoes, rice and reducing bread intake really helps me drop a few pounds.

All aerobic exercise will burn fat, its just that 55% VO2 max is the optimum, and as petesgaff says, its boring. That's why it can be better to focus on calories burnt overall.

Solo
    Free Member

Finbar.

Disagree. Rational is that reducing muscle first, then means that there is less muscle that requires energy from your fat reserves.

This is the strategy employed by the body to eak-out your energy reserves for as long as possible. A smaller muscle uses less energy, with the obvious caveats.

In car terms, its like trading in your V10 powered M5, for a Polo Diesel. Less of an engine to feed, means you get more miles per gallon.

Petesgaff, good post.

Solo.

donsimon
    Free Member

Specific heart rates vary from person to person, don't they? So percentages work better than numbers.

renton
    Free Member

see im getting confused now!!

some people are saying cut out carbs like bread and pasta!! and then others are saying have pasta to stop the mid afternoon tiredness!.

i dont suppose anyone would like to make up a good diet for me would they!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

(Mr MC posting)
    agree with solo, not finbar from both personal experience and doing lots of reading around training, and working/training with sports scientists. Muscle is preferentially metabolised before fat, which is why if you stop weight training you lose muscle bulk so quickly but still carry body fat. Currently putting up with a broken leg, and my leg muscles began to atrophy after 10 days of being in a brace 🙁 in line with what the consultant said, but I still have some body fat.

To the OP, agree that your HR is too low.

Whilst fat doesnt turn into muscle, you may be burning off fat and putting on muscle. A colleague of roughly similar build to you started training with me whilst we were at a residential college for 4 months with nothing to do in the evenings. His weight barely changed but he lost four inches off his waist-he'd lost fat and put on muscle.

JulianA
    Free Member

Slimming World

I'm not being funny. It's not just for women and they do seem to talk sense about healthy eating and stuff. The weekly weigh-ins are a help and so is the group stuff, I think.

No, I'm not doing it myself, admittedly, but I know someone who is. Not every week is a good one, but the general trend is in the right direction.

Sorry if this has been posted before, I haven't read everyone's replies.

Keva
    Free Member

Fat will turn to muscle

Are you a magician ?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

There's no need to change you diet drastically (unless you really live on takeaways) just eat less of it and move about more- the faster and further the better. Cut out the crap like sugar, crisps and stickies (but have the occasional treat) and stop eating when you are full. Like previous poster suggested although you are doing 4hrs work out a week its not very high intensity so you won't be burning that many cals. 3,000 calories = 1 pound of fat. 3000 cals is about 4.5 hours of full on mountainbiking.

I've lost half a stone since the beginning of June by doing the above plus biking (mostly road) and running for about 7 hrs a week.

Solo
    Free Member

MC. Good post, get well soon.

Bread, Pasta. Quantity !.

My own experience is that bread hasn't been good for me, espcially when considering what I will eat with it…CHEESE, omg how I love cheese 😕
    rarely eat it, but I LOVE it !.

Also, bread/sandwiches enables quick-feeding, snacking, ime, which may not always be a good thing. Taking time to make something can be a better option, it can help with controlling the urge to instaneously quash the hunger.
    Having to wait while you are hungry (10-15 mins to make a small bowl of pasta), can be a good exercise in self discipline, imo.
    And lets face it, what could be more important than taking the time to feed yourself properly…however that may be.

As stated earlier, I've been eating 40-50grams dried pasta with a small amount of tuna, salmon or pulses for lunch, for quite a while now. On the odd occassion when I can't do this I've taken a sandwich. All I can tell you is that it has made a noteable difference and after eating bread I do feel sluggish in the afternoon, but thats also perhaps because of what I've eaten with the bread, don't forget.

I'm not counting bread out, nor in, thats for you to decide.

Its going to take time, and experimentation, but remember that you're supposed to be learning how to feed yourself for the rest of your life, in order to maintain a sensible body weight, so its going to take time.

Theres been some good pointers given here by some folk, this can be a complex subject, how complex ?, thats up to you.

Not sure about bread ?, then experiment with it, see how it makes you feel after eating and see if it helps with your goal of weight loss.

Same for pasta, for example, cut out the bread for a couple of weeks, have simple pasta dishes for lunch instead, of a controlled size !, keeping an eye on your calorie intake, etc, and then you'll hopefully find your own answer as to its effectiveness for weight loss and PM energy levels.

All some of us are doing is reporting what works for us, and chances are, this has been a path of discovery for them/me to find suitable answers to what we eat and how much to eat.

Right, I'm off out now.

I hope this helps.

Solo.

dr_death
    Free Member

There's an awful lot of bollocks being spouted on this thread about the metabolism of fat and muscle/protein.

Muscle is (and always has been) the last thing that your body will metabolise.

Your body has very complex autoregulation systems for maintaining a constant supply of fuel for your muscles, brain and other vital organs. When you start to exercise it will begin by using the locally stored carbohydrates. once it gets into a steady, medium stress, rhythmn it will begin to mobilise it's fat stores and burn fat, this is more efficiently utilised if there is still a bit of carbohydrate knocking around. If you increase the level of exercise above that which can be supplied it will start to use more of the locally stored carbs again. Once these run out, you bonk. Whilst you are exercising you can still absorb a little extra fuel through your gut (approx 100 calories/hour) but most of your blood supply is off providing oxygen to your muscles.

Only once you have run out of local carbs and fat and the rapidly usable carbs stored in your liver will you start using protein as a fuel source.

Loosing weight is a simple input output equation. Energy in must be less than energy out. The bigger the difference the quicker you lose weight. It really is that simple.

You can go into the pros and cons of complex carbohydrates if you like but to be honest your body is a phenominally efficient machine at converting one sort of molecule to the one it needs. If you eat lots of simple sugars your body will convert them to complex sugars if that is what it needs and vice versa.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘not losing any weight despite exercise (lots of)??’ is closed to new replies.