Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Notifications not showing on android phone…
  • gravitysucks
    Free Member

After recently moving on to android I’m still finding my feet a bit but I’ve noticed a problem I can’t seem to solve.

If i receive a new message in whats app I get a notification come up but it doesn’t give me the usual number in a red box on the app icon to show I’ve something that’s unread.

This was only on whatsapp, I get the number on email, missed calls or sms messages.

Yesterday I moved on to messenger app (the new google one) and this is now giving me the same problem.

Any ideas?? Frustrating but other than that I’m loving the Android based system

Stoner
    Free Member

dont you need to install the widget for inbox numbers on the app icons?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

usual number in a red box on the app icon to show I’ve something that’s unread

That’s because it doesn’t do it out the box.

stumpy01

I’ve never got an ‘unread’ number come up on Whats App like you get with Mail/SMS etc. on Android.

Just assumed it wasn’t available.

Stoner – Member

dont you need to install the widget for inbox numbers on the app icons?

Interesting…..goes off to investigate!!

gravitysucks
    Free Member

I’m new to world of android! I love being able to try different apps for messaging etc and find what seems best to you!

Any idea what the apps called?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Tesla Unread (and Nova Launcher) is what you need apparently

Cougar

Notifications will be app-specific, I’d have thought. I’ve never seen that behaviour on WhatsApp (not that I’ve ever had sufficient messages on it for it to make any odds anyway).

There may of course be third party “notification” apps. EDIT: like those ^^

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Splendid. Thanks all.

Just added Notifier and installed widgets for whats app and messenger. Just need someone to text me now!

Cougar

Shouldn’t take long, it’s a well known fact (to those who know it well) that Android owners have more friends.

gravitysucks
    Free Member

Yeh but I’ve been with apple for 5 years so i only brought one with me when i made the transition!

stumpy01

Just had someone message me.
    I’ve moved the standard What’s App icon to a blank screen and added the What’s App widget to the same screen just to make it clear.
    You can resize the widget to 1×1 and you get what you see below.

So, you have unread notification in the top bar, plus a 1 in the widget, denoting the unread message. Clicking on that just takes you to the ‘chat’ inbox.

Not sure I’ll keep the widget like that to be honest. I normally have the window pop-up to ‘on’ so see the messages straight away anyway. One of those third party notification apps is probably neater.

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Can you manage your notifications from within the app settings?

stumpy01

ohnohesback – Member

Can you manage your notifications from within the app settings?

You can…..but not to show an unread quantity.
    It’s stuff like message tone, pop-up window, colour of flashing light etc.

chapps123
    Free Member

Hi, Do you run Gmail on it? I’ve had the same issues and I read that it’s a bug, so I de-installed Gmail and hey presto all my apps started updating normally, I had to re-install Gmail as it’s my company e-mail system and I’m back to where I started from…..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Notifications not showing on android phone…’ is closed to new replies.