Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Notice Periods & Contracts (as in work, not phones etc.)
  • Sundayjumper

This job is the first time I’ve been a contractor so the answer might be the obvious one but I’m not sure if there’s some convention about how to deal with it.

My current contract runs out end of Dec
    I am on 1 month’s notice
    I’ve been verbally promised an extension (and I’m sure that’s true)
    I’m not entirely sure I want one 😕

Based on previous extensions here, they will wait until the last possible moment to send me the new contract, so probably 30th Dec. In the meantime, if I have a massive tantrum on, say, 23rd Dec and tell them what I think, will I be expected to sign a contract just so that I can work a month’s notice, or is the notice period limited by the end date of the existing contract and I can just walk out ?

Like I said, I think the answer is obvious but I’ve never been in this situation before. And I realise the tantrum/walkout is not going to be a brilliant career move 😆

IHN

Your contract runs until the end date of the most recent contract you’ve signed. You do not have to give notice to leave at the end of your contract, just walk out the door. The notice period only applies if you want to leave before the end date of the contract.

If you don’t sign the extension, you leave on the 30th December.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Check what your current contract actually says.

e.g.

“Clause 43.4 – Throwing a massive benny……”

Cougar

Bloody hell, it’s a while since I heard that.

Sundayjumper

IHN – that’s what I thought, ta.

whitestone
    Free Member

Your contract is to the end of December. If they’ve verbally stated that they wish to extend the contract then they should be providing paperwork to that effect. If you want to continue the contract then a gentle nudge would be in order. If you aren’t bothered then make noises about looking for other contracts (even if you aren’t).

I definitely wouldn’t have a tantrum!

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you are not keen just line up something else. Then when they offer apologies, say you are already booked up but would be happy to work again in the future.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Do not throw a Massive Benny. It looks quite heavy and could do a bit of damage…….

http://www.tesco.com/direct/massive-benny-one-light-studio-table-lamp-blue/642-8154.prd

I want to buy one just in case I ever need to throw it though 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Notice Periods & Contracts (as in work, not phones etc.)’ is closed to new replies.