Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Notice of Intended Prosecution
  • uwe-r
    Free Member

I have a Company car so I got an email today informing me that:

We have received a Notice of Intended Prosecution from Greater Manchester Police regarding your company car. The vehicle was recorded travelling at 37mph on the [edit], on the 09/03/13.

First such thing since passing my test in 1995 🙁

What will I get? Do I have any options?

toys19
    Free Member

was it in a 30mph or 20mph zone?
    If 30mph then I would plead guilty by post and accept 3 pints couple hundred quid fine. If 20mph then you need some actual advice.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Its a 30 road.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

3 points, and last time I had one (3 years ago) a £60 fine. Small or no affect on your insurance but do tell them.
    By far best just to pay up if you did do it, it won’t actually affect you in any way and the alternative will be a lot of hassle.

flatfish
    Free Member

Couple hundred quid fine?
    REALLY?

£60 tops + costs.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Speed awareness course for you.. I actually quite enjoyed mine!

Mintman
    Free Member

If deep down inside you know that you did it then zip up the man suit, cough up the cash and learn from it.

wwaswas

were any childrens faces involved on this occasion?

klumpy
    Free Member

Not bad, 18 yrs clean record.
    The Cyclists on here will string you up anyway.

Pepipoo has advice about making sure the rozzers’ equipment was properly maintained and properly used.

The notice should say what you’ll get, probably 3 points and a 60 quid fine. Might offer the option of a speed safe course, in which case you don’t get points or a fine. But the course costs 60 quid. (sic.)

toys19
    Free Member

Well I got one in 2001 and paid £195 along with my 6 points (I was doing 107 in a 70 though…)

xx

irelanst
    Free Member

Tell them your wife was driving?

wwaswas

The Cyclists on here

bloody cyclists spamming a bicycle web site with their irrelevant posts 😉

unklehomered
    Free Member

Can you go on a speed awareness course without first being caught speeding? Or is it one of those weird irregularities you must first get done? Caught myself being a bit silly recently.

EDIT: Oh it costs money – never mind. I’ll stick to giving myself a firm ticking off. Still interested in the answer though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

+1 for speed awareness course

About £80 but no points.

Mine was for doing 36 aprocahing a NSL limit outside the village. I’m one of those peopel who thinks rules are there to be obayed and consequences faced, but even I had a bit of a “WTF, you put a camea there? Why?” moment.

Can you go on a speed awareness course without first being caught speeding? Or is it one of those weird irregularities you must first get done?

Why would you want to? They’re not that interesting! Lots of “if your stopping distance from 30 is X and from 35 is Y, and the length of a bus is X and a kid walks out the front you’d be able to stop” type stuff.

DrP

…accept 3 pints couple hundred quid fine…

That’ll make things even worse…

DrP

neninja
    Free Member

As above accept it, take the points and fine.

It would be worth a phone call to the issuing office to ask if the option of a speed awareness course is available. Sometimes you have to ask. Still costs you something like £100 but no points.

tmb467
    Free Member

have a read of this

but I’d suggest just paying up and taking the points, as its your first offence. insurance dont really care about the points within the policy as long as its not more than 6 in a year (but you might find the price goes up slightly on renewal)

leave the speed awareness course for the next time (if there is one)

unklehomered
    Free Member

Why would you want to? They’re not that interesting! Lots of “if your stopping distance from 30 is X and from 35 is Y, and the length of a bus is X and a kid walks out the front you’d be able to stop” type stuff.

I wondered if they may do some techniques to stop your eye wandering off the speedo, this is me assuming most speeding is due to slight abscent mindedness rather than flagrant ignoring of speed limits. That said, going through NSL signs already at about 40… guilty in at least a couple of places I can think of. 😳

MartynS

What paper work do you actually have??
    What should happen is the lease company as the registered keepers get an s172 request to name the driver. It is theiresponsibility to fill this in naming you as the driver. You in time will get your own s172 to name yourself. Once you’ve done this you’ll get your own NIP with the options. You will almost certainly be eligible for a speed awareness course.

The company have 28 days to name you, when you get the paperwork in your name you have 28 days to respond. Don’t miss this deadline a failure to furnish conviction is very very expensive on car insurance. I know it’s a company car but they may not be able to cover you…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Ask to see photographic evidence first. Then if you’re satisfied they have enough evidence, accept the 3 points and £60 fine, forget about it and be happy.

klumpy
    Free Member

bloody cyclists spamming a bicycle web site with their irrelevant posts

Mountain biking website, not cycling website. Two completely different things! 🙂

iain1775
    Free Member

and accept 3 pints

Just don’t get back in your car afterwards 😉

MartynS

Ohhhh don’t ask for evidence, they’re not obliged to show you any until/unless you go to court.
    You can ask for pictures to help ID the driver. You can only do this once you’ve got paperwork with your name on. The 28 day deadline still applies here though..

uwe-r
    Free Member

I have nothing yet other than an email.

The wifey had a red light one recently and she was able to go on line to review the photo. I hope I can do the same on mine as there are no fixed cameras on the road so it must have been a sneaky one, I’m interested to know where they were, the buggers!

Speed awareness course looks like it is on the cards plus a heft fee for the pleasure.

wwaswas

it must have been a sneaky one

I can see how you might miss it;

allthepies
    Free Member

3 pints for speeding ?

Must be a UKIP policy.

br
    Free Member

Ask to see photographic evidence first. Then if you’re satisfied they have enough evidence, accept the 3 points and £60 fine, forget about it and be happy.

Were you speeding? Do you often/usually speed in 30 zones? If so, just pay up and stop wasting taxpayers money/time.

bigjim

just as well you didn’t hit a cyclist or child at that speed 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The form/NIP I recieved (I don’t remember two seperate forms, just logging into a website to register for the speed awareness course) went through all the “the camera was calibrated on XX day, to see the records visit www……gov.uk”, type get out’s. Maybe the Police slipped up a few times when speed cameras first appeared but i think you’d struggle with finding a loophole now.

I wondered if they may do some techniques to stop your eye wandering off the speedo, this is me assuming most speeding is due to slight abscent mindedness rather than flagrant ignoring of speed limits. That said, going through NSL signs already at about 40… guilty in at least a couple of places I can think of.

Nothing groundbreaking, recomended sticking to the same gear each tiem you go through a speed limit so that you get used to the engine note so always 20 in 2nd, 30 in 3rd, 40 in 4th (or whatever your car does). And how to guess the speed limit based on the surroundings, for example 30’s and NSL are only marked at the entry/exit as those are mandated in law (the NSL out in the open and 30 in built up areas). Everything else has to have repeater signs, so you can’t say “I thought it was a 40” as if it was there would have been repeater signs, ditto 20 has repeater signs.

That’s pretty much the 6 hours in a nutshel.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Were you speeding? Do you often/usually speed in 30 zones? If so, just pay up and stop wasting taxpayers money/time.

I genuinely have no idea what speed I was doing. I don’t even remember driving down that road on Saturday but its where I live so I am not questioning it. I drive at the same speed as everyone else, I don’t drive like a dick which is probably why I have gone 18 years without incident. As for wasting peoples time, this is STW where people congregate to collectively waste their time, it’s the sole reason for its existence, its raison d’être. 😆

patriotpro
    Free Member

Is this aimed at moi? 😕

bland

Wasnt one of these was it

sbob
    Free Member

uwe-r – Member

I genuinely have no idea what speed I was doing. I don’t even remember driving down that road on Saturday

Then you should request (as already mentioned they are not obliged) to see the photographic evidence so you can ascertain whether it was you or not.
    The speed camera partnerships do make mistakes and it would be folly to presume your own guilt.
    It may not be you driving, it may not be your car, you may not have been speeding. 💡

It’s alright saying “bend over and take your punishment”, but only once you know you are guilty.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Around here the threshold at which you still have the option of attending a speed awareness course and saving yourself the points, is 42mph in a 30mph zone. (Not me, before you all reach for your pitchforks)

johnellison
    Free Member

What will I get? Do I have any options?

Assuming you choose not to contest the notice, most likely 3 points and a £60 fine. Your licence will be endorsed with code SP30. This will stay in force for 3 years from date of conviction.

You must declare this to your insurance company. Given your record it should have no effect on your premium.

Couple hundred quid fine?
    REALLY?

£60 tops + costs.

Not necessarily. £60 is a starting point, assuming the OP chooses to accept the conviction and not contest it. It can also depend upon the circumstances surrounding the conviction, and how the evidence was gathered.

they’re not obliged to show you any until/unless you go to court.

Not true. The notice will state this but in reality, if you are notified of a pending prosecution, the accused has the legal right to see all evidence that will be presented to bring the prosecution.

Just as an FYI, not being aware of a speed trap or “not seeing it” isn’t a valid defence – there’s a speed limit so you should be within it and its tolerances.

There are Home Office guidelines which state that speed traps must be plainly visible and set out in a certain fashion with adequate signage. In practice this rarely happens, but again it cannot be used as a defence. If you feel that the trap was unfair or badly laid out the only recourse you have is to write to the Home Office about it. They will then consult with the authority responsible, slap their wrists and tell them not to do it again.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’m renewing my insurance at the mo and all the companies are asking the usual about points etc but now ask if you have been on a speed awareness course.

So presumably if you have your premium gets loaded as if you had the 3 points? (I have a clean license and never speed in my family RS6) 😉

MM

Harry_the_Spider

I got one from GMP too the other week. 38 in a 30.

You will get a Speed Awareness Course (£79.50) and no points, or a £60 fine and points.

stumpyjon

Yep some insurances companies have now cottoned on and have every right to ask if you’ve been on a speed awarness course. Can still be worth doing, keeps the points of your licence and you might learn something.

nealglover
    Free Member

Do they normally contact you by email ??

I would have thought they did these things by post normally. Seems a bit odd.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Notice of Intended Prosecution’ is closed to new replies.