Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Not the same old 29'er debate…
  • jamj1974

Are a lot of the debates on various wheel diameters really about the size of the wheel? I’m not so sure…

Among a few bikes, I own a rigid 29’er and like it and also own a full-suspension 26’er and love that too. I sit both sides of the fence but I still have a wheel size problem! My problem is that a newer standard now being pushed very hard by many manufacturers may make a couple of my well loved and high-performing bikes obsolete. They perform as well as ever – yet I can see a time when high-quality components are no longer available to suit.

This makes me resent somewhat the huge marketing push behind 29’ers – especially outside of their original cross-country/trail application.

What do you think/how do you feel?

J

khani
    Free Member

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think 26 will become obselete tbh. There’s too much of it about.

grum
    Free Member

Wow these issues have never been raised before. I was bored of the endless 29er debates but this is a whole new paradigm.

Junkyard
    Free Member

scotroutes

Not the same old 29’er debate…

It sure looks like it from here

scotroutes

It sure looks like it from here

cookeaa

Fix your thread title!

jamj1974

Not the same – this isn’t about which is better!

I am wondering if at least some of the anti-29’er feeling is about resentment of bikes being made obsolete because a new standard is being strongly marketed?

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it’s because people object to their perfectly good bikes being derided as poor and obselete.

nigelb001
    Free Member

26ers were just a flash in the pan and would never have caught on anyway. 🙄

jamj1974

How did you know that was a favourite film of mine Junkyard?

cookeaa

Sorry what has become “Obsolete”?

I’m pretty sure all of the 26″ wheeled bikes in my Garage still work and I can get tyres and rims for them, Obsolete would suggest they were in some way superseded overnight.

Still lets not allow minor facts to prevent us from waving our arms and shouting “Conspiracy!” because someone put slightly bigger wheels on a few bikes, and MBUK told you it was the inevitable way of the future.

One of the main gripes in all the other 26″ Vs 29″ threads seems to be panicked cobblers spouted about 26″ wheels suddenly becoming an unsupported standard, So yes this is the same tired old bollocks as all the other threads…

jamj1974

One of the main gripes in all the other 26″ Vs 29″ threads seems to be panicked cobblers spouted about 26″ wheels suddenly becoming an unsupported standard, So yes this is the same tired old bollocks as all the other threads…

I have read most and they seem to spend a huge amount of time arguing which is best… You might be right though!

I too don’t think they are or should be obsolete – quite the opposite in fact…

mduncombe
    Free Member

Is this obsolescence fear more about no longer owning the “latest and greatest”? (note the inverted commas as it might not be the greatest depending on how you like to ride)

As far as I can tell my 26er rides and handles just as good as it always has. I can still buy 26″ bikes and components for them and by the time I cant we will all be riding around on hover boards!

26″, 29″, 650b… I can now choose the wheel size that suits my riding best.

Why the fuss with wheel sizes? Did FS make HT obsolete? Of course not.

BTW I just added a 29er to my colelction and am very happy with it.

jezandu
    Free Member

Perhaps we should be discussing the mentality as to why these threads are started in the first place. Both arguments of which is best and manufactures forcing a ‘new’ standard have been done to death!

jamj1974

Perhaps we should be discussing the mentality as to why these threads are started in the first place

Not sure how my ‘mentality’ would be best described!

Apologies to those who thought this too much of a needless rehash.

b45her
    Free Member

your in the wrong place to discuss bikes mate, this place is more of a chatroom for bored middle managers to have 14 page threads on what colour dustcaps would work best on the latest cotic they’ve bought.

ndthornton
    Free Member

I reckon there must be an inverse correlation between the length of time spent arguing about something and the size of any actual advantage.

e.g.
    Joplin seatposts Vs Reverbs – pretty short lived I would imagine.

I feel the need to trawl through previous threads now……

jekkyl

I’m Brian and so’s my wife.

Paceman
    Free Member

26ers will not become obsolete, particularly in the UK, there are too many of us riding them.

jamj1974

I sincerely hope 26’ers stay. I don’t like the idea of only having low-end components as replacements. I tend to keep my bikes for a long-time and keeping them as high-performance bikes really matters to me. I don’t want to run out of a choice of great forks, tyres and wheels…

tazzymtb

right i warned you lot last time about this and the fact that I would post more and more disturbing Pictures until it stopped.

Maggoty infested cock or video of large cyst being drained and acres of puss. Your choice!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

There is no obsolete. There is only difference and choice.

richieokeefe1
    Free Member

Can we have a lets see your Cotic soul thread now

iainc

Can we have a lets see your Cotic soul thread now

……no, mine’s not ready yet, so I’ll just have to look at everyone else’s orange ones 🙂

Rorschach
    Free Member

jamj1974

right i warned you lot last time about this and the fact that I would post more and more disturbing Pictures until it stopped.
    Maggoty infested cock or video of large cyst being drained and acres of puss. Your choice!

WTF…?

jamj1974

I can start a Cotic Soul thread if you like – although it’s not mine! My bro is just building one up….

garage-dweller

Cyst please. You can go too far. 😯

singlespeedstu

Can we have both please tazz.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Not the same old 29'er debate…’ is closed to new replies.