Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Not the North Coast 500
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

In the rudimental planning stages of a bike tour in the North West. So far pencilled in is..

Kinlochewe to Ullapool via the coast(Poolewe etc).

Ullapool to KInlochbervie, talking in the Stoer peninsula

Kinlochbervie to Altnahara with a detour out to Cape Wrath.

It looks like there is 3 options to Altnahara, past Loch Hope, past Loch Loyal or using the Starathnaver road. Any suggestions?

Also any thoughts on the first two days? Any diversions? Possible trip out to Sandwood Bay but is there any other bits that are must visits?

Still to plan from Altnahara back to Kinlochewe, again any suggestions welcome.

scotroutes

All three roads to Altnaharra have their attractions. Strathnaver is probably the easiest gradient, though it will be one long gradual climb.

The road from Hope is the quietest (you might not see another vehicle) and passes the substantial ruins of a broch.

I prefer the Tongue road. Ben Loyal fills the view, looking very Cuillinesque and you’ll have a good descent to Alltnaharra. It also means you can stop to eat in Tongue and you get to see the Kyles of Tongue, one of the most spectacular views in the Highlands.

There are coastal diversions at Gairloch and Laide that are worthwhile if you have the time.

Sandwood Bay is a must do. You can cycle to within a mile or two on a rough track.

Make sure you do the Wee Mad Road of Inverpolly, possibly visiting Achiltibuie on the way.

How are you getting to Kinlochewe?

skirlbear
    Free Member

Take care at Sandwood Bay…don’t go off the path and definitely don’t visit during the full moon.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

There are coastal diversions at Gairloch and Laide that are worthwhile if you have the time.

Do you mean diverting off the A832 at Gairloch and Laide out to the coast? The first leg was going to be along this road.

Make sure you do the Wee Mad Road of Inverpolly, possibly visiting Achiltibuie on the way.

Can you go Ullapool> Inverpolly> Stoer> KInlochbervie? Is this the route you mean?

How are you getting to Kinlochewe?

From Altnahara? Haven’t really fleshed this part out yet.

Take care at Sandwood Bay…don’t go off the path and definitely don’t visit during the full moon.

😀

crazy-legs

Only ever done Altnaharra heading north on the Strathnaver road. Stunning road but it’ll be one hell of a long draggy climb going south!

Did Ullapool to Unapool last year on the coast road, that was amazing. Wish I’d had more time to stay up there. I’d love to visit Cape Wrath although I’m not sure how willing the ferry is to take bikes. Timing is rather critical on that one and the ferry works in conjunction with a minibus to take people out to the lighthouse.

felltop

Agree with Scotroutes. Diversion from Laide to Mellon Udrigle well worthwhile (I’m biased, if you want a cuppa,ask at Laide Post Office where the postie that cycles lives!).

Loch Hope Road is sublime. Worth looking at heading towards Strathnaver from Altnaharra, then cutting over to Kinbrace.

I happen to know that the cycling blog on the North Coast 500 website will have an article on this section around the end of the month.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I watched a vimeo vid recently and there didn’t seem to be a problem with the ferry. Will double check though.

Long draggy climb, I expect no less 😀

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers felltop, I’ll look at those, the problem with diversions is its eating into the distance comfort zone for each day. We’ll need to make some calls on what to do and what to miss this time.

scotroutes

I was meaning all the little roads out to the likes of Redpoint (good pub/food at Badachro), Rubha Reidh lighthouse, Opinan etc.

Turn off the A835 at Drumrunie to get through Inverpolly (climb Stac Polly if you have time?) then to Lochinver, Stoer, Kylesku, Kinlochbervie.

I was meaning – how are you getting to Kinlochewe to start your trip?

At the end of your trip, investigate the train between Lairg – Dingwall – Achnasheen. I’m not sure if it will all connect at a reasonable time though.

There’s also a bike “taxi” service based in Inverness (I work there) that could connect you up but I reckon it would be a bit spendy for that trip as there are no shortcuts. And these guys have just started up in Kinlochewe – I’d definitely see what they can do for you https://westcoastbiking.co.uk/logistics/

And I assume you’ve already done the Bealach na Ba or can you just not fit it in this time around?

The Durness-Cape Wrath ferry is usually OK with bikes but best to let him know in advance and sometimes it’s just the wee boat that’s running, so no bike on that one (weather dependency applies too). Of course, you could always take a packraft 😉

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB7i2T0JBIE[/video]

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers, excellent stuff, I’ll need to go through it all. Getting to Kinlochewe will probably be a drive, we would be coming from Ayrshire so a day travelling by train and wotnot is a day wasted.

Ideally we’d cycle back to the car but not averse to public transport back if it means some more time exploring the coast.

We did a mini tour last year, across the Corran ferry and along the coast to Skye, then over the Bealach and round to Sheildaig. Slightly different route on the way back. And the previous year we made our way up from Ayrshire via Arran to Fort William along the coast. Although its not terribly important this is why we’d be starting around Kinlochewe.

The main idea is enjoyable tour and see a bit rather than just covering the ground, so all the wee knooks and crannies are perfect.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cracking vid that, the descent onto the beach around 16mins is spectacular!

ian martin
    Free Member

Really enjoyed the video, thanks for posting. Myself and a couple of pals are heading to Cape Wrath in June, I’m really looking forward to it. Old school, croix de fer with panniers, I’ve bought a touring shirt that I’m planning on riding in with the sleeves rolled up. Panniers = plenty of room for layers, good bad food and rum.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Can I ask for any recommendations for places to eat and possibly stay? Good food will be worthwhile detouring for.
    I’m also thinking of changing the route slightly and heading from Ullapool to Crask Inn on day 2, making the route more of a figure of 8. Does South to north on the Altnahara/Loch LOyal road work and more importantly travelling north to south down the coast?

towzer

Hi

the road to Cape Wrath took a hammering in winter 2014(I think) and is/was (*May 2015, so this may be out of date) a pothole frenzy, on a road bike I’m not sure it would be enjoyable (imho and the boat guys told a drop bar skinny tyre racer not to bother as the road was so bad). I’d deffo take lots of puncture kit stuff if you go for it.

Crask Inn – we loved it BUT I’m not sure it’s full time open anymore so check.
    We also liked the Garvault hotel but again check.
    Great we riverside café in Lairg.
    Do have a hot chocolate at the chocolate shop in Durness craft village.
    Pub at Durness seafront campsite was ok for food.
    We did not like the Kinlochbervie hotel.

Wee shop in Drumbeg recommended, hotel not – really scenic road (but we were in a motorhome)

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Cheers towzer, exactly the stuff I was after.

kcal

re Crask Inn — will still be run as a pub but also a church. As it happens I know the incoming folk — good folk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-39078827

sangobegger
    Free Member

Ullapool to Stoer and KLB would recommend going round by Inverpolly as well. Bit up and down, but avoids **** in Lambos, Porches and Maclarens who think the NC 500 is their personal racetrack (most of them can’t reverse, don’t know how to drive on single-track roads and are frankly a PITA). Sandwood is beautiful but is a bit of a hike off the main road and if you are going to Cape wrath, then Kervaig beach is nicer, quieter and the bothy is closer.
    The Cape road is now shocking, so forget it on anything with skinny tyres. John the ferryman on the Kyle is always happy to take the bike across, so I wouldnt worry about that one. In terms of Durness to Altnaharra, Id take the road along Loch hope. No-one uses it and its a cracking ride with great views.
    You could also skip the Altnaharra bit by crossing over from the south end of Loch Hope on the Hill road to loch Merkland.Its only about five miles and even a loaded road bike could cross it. Its been partially upgraded for a hydro scheme and offers a nice wee descent to the head of Loch Merkland. From there its virtually flat to lairg and the train station (or you could scoot over into Glen Cassley on the tarred Hydro road as a wee diversion and take the train from ardgy)

richardthird

Timely thread 🙂

Could I ask about open access. Looking on maps there are obvious and numerous estate tracks, some Scottish Water/Electric etc. Some are gated. Are all these accessible?

scotroutes

Yes. The only thing to watch is that some dams aren’t legally supposed to be crossed.

richardthird

Fantastic, thanks

scotroutes

Scotland doesn’t have “Open Access” as you might understand it. Basically the rules are; go where you want but don’t be a dick. That applies on foot, on a bike, on a horse, skiing/boarding or even paddling.

richardthird

Don’t be a dick is a good rule. One that I always fail (given my name) 🙁

charliemort

Anyone have a suggestion for a 5 day itinery? And road bikes or cx type things?

Muchos gracias!

paton
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/CCwQewcydg8[/video]

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/ncn/map/route/route-78

paton
    Free Member

One of many books on the subject, but a good read.

From the Mull to the Cape: A Gentle Bike Ride on the Edge of Wilderness
    by Richard Guise

coconut
    Free Member

just out of interest :D..Whats a good time length to do the whole 500+ mile route. Half considering it on a 29er hardtail with off road tires, very fit and would carry light gear in rucksack. How does 100 miles a day sound ?

scotroutes

Sounds slow if you want to be doing it quickly. Sounds fast if you want to be doing it slowly.

The main thing is to ask yourself why you’re doing it and how much you want to enjoy being there. I’d be tempted to add a couple of days to that so I had time to explore off the route a little and sit on a beach/under a tree/on a hilltop for a while.

500 miles riding with a rucksack though? Nah.

felltop

Say down to have breakfast and read through this thread. I seem to have ended up planning a trip from Dornie to the north coast. Oh well!

scotroutes

That’s all good well, but what about that new blog article we were promised?

felltop

Sent off a while ago, NC500 say it will go online this month….

scotroutes

Another good read for folk looking for more cycle-friendly alternative routes in the area..

http://www.northcoast500.com/blog/blog/march-2017-(1)/nc500-cycling-blog-march-2017.aspx

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

A couple of bits to add that may help:
    The Smoo Cave Hotel in Durness does very decent food and beer
    The Old School at Kinlochbervie was great for an evening meal and I assume it would be great as a daytime stop as well
    The Kylesku Hotel does great food and beer, but not cheap and definitely needs booking for the evening
    The Lochinver Larder does the most brilliant pies and is also a great place to eat and drink

whiskyandwheels
    Free Member

[Panniers = plenty of room for layers, good bad food and rum. ]

I can’t believe anyone didn’t pick up on the “and rum” comment from Ian Martin. Come on man you are going to Scotland. Whisky or at a push Gin…but rum?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Not the North Coast 500’ is closed to new replies.