Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Not the best day today – really rather broken bike content
  • matthew_h
    Free Member

Had a slight off today when out on my road bike. Coming down a decent stretch of road but maybe trying to go a little bit too fast, I locked up coming into a bend and like an idiot didn’t get back off the brakes. Straight lined into a nice grassy bank and ended in a full OTB moment.

GPS plot shows a fairly quick deceleration from almost 48mph to nothing at the end of the ride:

Bike has gone from this (photographed at the Bespoked Bristol show earlier this year) :

to this:

It was the lugged 953 frame that I custom built over this winter. I’m a pretty big lad at 6’4″ and about 18.5 stone so pretty impressed that that was all the damage. The front wheel is still absolutely true (pretty good advert for my wheel building I guess)

Thankfully, due to the lugs/brazing construction, with luck I should be able to remove the knackered tubes and rebuild it.

wwaswas

Sticker?

unknown
    Free Member

Gaffer tape and zip ties will sort that.

ton

mate, you need a surly. 😐

whatgoesup

That’ll buff out

tmb467
    Free Member

A spoon and some tape will fix it – dont use zip ties tho

whatgoesup

Oh, I forgot so say – considering the alternative outcomes, a crash @48mph resulting in a only a bike repair = probably THE best day ever !

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yeah, really could have been a lot worse. I got stung by nettles and a few small scratches from brambles but other than that I’m totally fine.

MussEd
    Free Member

OH YA FKR!

simondbarnes

Oof! Lucky escape 🙂

benji
    Free Member

Wow, that could have been a lot worse, how’s your injuries or is it more one of annoyance that you didn’t let the brakes off.

garage-dweller

So long as you are ok that is the main thing

matthew_h
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m fine. Just a bit annoyed with myself for being stupid but other than that nothing wrong.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Oooft! Well done on the lucky escape. I’d be tempted to take her apart and keep the frame as wall art.

chrishc777
    Free Member

lucky there mate…

sbob
    Free Member

Well you’ve done that properly. 😯
    Glad you’re alright, here’s to getting her fixed. 😀

bigyinn
    Free Member

Think the op needs to buy a lottery ticket!

avdave2

Thankfully, due to the lugs/brazing construction, with luck I should be able to remove the knackered tubes and rebuild it.

You built a bike with a crumple zone! if that’s not foresight I don’t know what is. Glad your ok.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

**** hell matt – are you ok? What road?

mrchrispy

LOL @ GPS

You swerved a big one there mate, count yourself lucky.
    LooksLooked like a nice bike, rest of the kit seem good so get rebuilding

legend
    Free Member

The OP earlier….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhem48fnP1c[/video]

bol

Gusset next time..?
    😀

RustySpanner

Never mind his gusset, I’ve ruined mine just looking at that photo.

And not in a good way.

chiefgrooveguru

You’re lucky to come out of that unbroken yourself! I remember that feeling of massive stupidity only too well after almost breaking my neck/back eight weeks ago – the bike was absolutely fine and I escaped without longterm damage but almost ruined my life. Still not quite fixed but been back riding (slower than normal) for about a month.

The joy of a nice steel frame is it’s usually repairable and you can even do it yourself! (Are you sure that such a pretty frame wasn’t self-harming in an attempt to get some more aesthetically pleasing cranks? 😉 )

JCL
    Free Member

Don’t ride that until you get it checked over. You might have damaged the frame.

maxray
    Free Member

Ah conner cummins at the TT. He was a very lucky boy!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Bike Insured?

Northwind

On consideration, I reckon it’s a just punishment for putting those cranks on such a lovely bike.

hora
    Free Member

What 953 frame is it?

Fantastic that you walked away. No I’d hang up that front wheel too.

lambo

Glad you’re ok – very lucky escape. Gutted about the bike it was a work of art, hope you can sort it.

shortcut

Those forks look like they are still OK. Will you be reusing them?

Davesport

I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but your chain’s come off too. Maybe consider fitting a chain device to prevent this happening again !

D.

Edric64
    Free Member

I think his frame wanted Campag cranks ,they are much prettier.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

If it was slammed you wouldn’t have had that problem.

On a serious note, well done (I don’t know what you say to someone who has survived a bad crash, congratulations?)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Not the best day today – really rather broken bike content’ is closed to new replies.