Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Not the best, but your favourite guitarist
  • corroded
    Free Member

Keith Richards and Jack White. Just love R&B and they both walk the walk.

Kevevs
    Free Member

depends on my mood. but… hendrix. Machine Gun is just a killer!

mikey3
    Free Member

freebird the worse song ever,cmon ,so you dont like it but to call it the worse song ever you have to be a bit of a knob and have very limited musical knowledge imho

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Coincidentally stumbled upon this just now.

_tom_
    Free Member

Yeah I was a bit harsh but I absolutely hate how overrated Freebird is, haha.

Trampus
    Free Member
    khegs
    Free Member

Bob Fripp, hands down, especially with Adrian Belew, although Randy Rhodes and Robert Cray are right up there too.

plumber
    Free Member

Tim Pierce

Chris de Garmo is an excellent call but you'd have to include Michael Wilton too

Naranjada
    Free Member

Django Reinhardt and the many gypsy jazz guitarists that emulated and improved on his style. Oh, and don't forget to check out Jimmy Rosenberg.

MSP

John Squire
    Johnny Marr
    Flea (no one said they had to be lead guitarists)

Guitarists that go well beyond the three chord trick, but still realise that their in a a group and not a solo.

Joxster
    Free Member
    maxray
    Free Member

Hmmm probably for sheer energy and presence Angus young or Kerry King.

Tricone
    Free Member

John Fahey

yossarian
    Free Member

Ron Asheton

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Tony Iommi. He had ALL the riffs.

Plus whole genres simply wouldn't exist without his influence.

big_scot_nanny

Kyle Glass (Dude, where's my f**king schnitzel?!?!)

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Angus is the most entertaining.

Zappa for being so creative but that's more than in his guitar work of course.

lister

Bob Mould can thrash louder than most and also do beautiful acoustic numbers.
    Watching him play his flying V a few years ago in Sheffield was the most intense guitaring (?) I've ever seen, he didn't stop for an hour and a half.
    Couldn't hear for 2 days 🙂

nickegg
    Free Member

Tom Morello from Rage Against The Machine.

TheTompy
    Free Member

Alex Lifeson of Rush. Probably the most talented but overlooked of the three members. Listen to the solo on Limelight, it's sheer genius.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwXjnVICb3I

Also very partial to Andy Summers, Fripp/Belew and Vernon Reid (of Living Color). And whoever the guy was in the Spin Doctors – his rhythm guitar work was really nice.

DezB
    Free Member

_tom_ – Member
    Yeah I was a bit harsh but I absolutely hate how overrated Freebird is, haha.

Harsh, but fair.

Fave:
    Andy Gill. So original, so copied. His playing gives me goosebumps.

also Matthew Ashman, Townshend, Hendrix, Keef, Jack White, Steve Jones, John McKay, Julian Bream, Paco De Luca, Ry Cooder, Daniel Ash, J Mascis… I'm sure there's more..

(Freebird is still shit)

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member
    hitman
    Free Member

John Martyn
    Davey Graham
    Mark Knopfler
    John Renbourne
    Martin Simpson
    Peter Green
    David Gilmour
    James Taylor
    Ali Farke Toure

etc, etc 🙂

RustySpanner

Wilko Johnson, innit?

Although Tom Verlaine gives me the shivers and Clive Gregson is a bit special too.

greyman
    Free Member

yep, John Martyn – bless him, RIP

and from me yoof, James Patrick Page, however Jeff Beck's been amazing over his career …

DezB
    Free Member

Wilko – good call 🙂
    forgot Marc Bolan and Mick Ronson and Neil Young!

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you like Django Reinhardt then this guy is pretty good. He's actually an old school friend who even at the age of 16 was something very special on the guitar and used to teach us budding guitarists some of his licks.

greyman
    Free Member

oooh, Tom Verlaine

good shout

RustySpanner

Oh, both Frank and Dweezil Zappa were/are superb too, as was Lowell George.

donks
    Free Member

Dave navaro (Janes Addiction)
    Another for Jonny marr
    Kim Deal (pixies)
    Sly Stone
    Sly (of Sly and Robbie)
    and another for Angus Young.

anagallis_arvensis
    exilegeordie
    Free Member

For me? Billy Gibbons – excellent rhythm guitarist with such a laid back style.

nixon_fiend
    Free Member

+1 Frank Zappa

+1 Ali Farke Toure

Also, Ry Cooder & antonio Forcione ( http://video.mail.ru/mail/ememe/386/391.html )

Donks.. Kim was on Bass.. You don't rate Joey Santiago?

chiefgrooveguru

Of the more recent crop, I rather like John Frusciante. Versatile yet very soulful and musical.

I love the simplicity and feel of the great funk guitarists – from Catfish Collins playing the same deep in the pocket riff over and over again on Sex Machine to Eddie Hazel's tripped out lead wailings on Maggot Brain.

The 'Oreo Cookie' trio on many of the great Motown records were quite something – one skanking the backbeat, one finding a perfect arpeggio or counterpoint, one playing the lead hooks or licks: Robert White, Joe Messina and Eddie Willis.

And Tom Morello just rocks, yet never loses that deep groove.

chiefgrooveguru

For me? Billy Gibbons – excellent rhythm guitarist with such a laid back style.

La Grange, oh yeah!

tiggs121
    Free Member

Martin Taylor

Jaco Pastorius

Robin Trower

Mark Knopfler

chiefgrooveguru

Jaco Pastorius

I don't know if Jaco would approve of being in this list – he always said he didn't just play bass, he played bass guitar, but as a bassist he certainly doesn't feel like a guitarist to me!

tazzymtb

Dave Navaro – Jane's addiction (anyone that uses a vibrator to get mental "wibbly" sounds from guitar pickups whilst going bonkers get my vote)

RustySpanner

If we're having bassists them Lemmy is yer chap, along with Keith Th'Bass from Here & Now. Paul McCartney is a bit of a bass god on the sly as well.

Oh and for the guitarists, I forgot Rory Gallagher.

LS
    Free Member

Rory Gallagher for me, ta.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Not the best, but your favourite guitarist’ is closed to new replies.