Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Not the best, but your favourite guitarist
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sticking neck out: Randy Rhoads

Such great compositions on Blizzard of Oz, they don't come across as "solos", just parts of the song. And he shreds them too.

Cougar

Really enjoying Joe Bonamasa at the moment. Bit of a change of pace to my usual wirepounding.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

He is probably up there in any of the best lists too….

But Eddie Van Halen has always been the king of ten fingers and six strings for me. From the solo of Eruption to the rhythm guitar on Big Bad Bill is Sweet William Now his playing is just great.

benji_allen
    Free Member

Dimebag Darrell. Shame to go in such a horrible way.

MartynS

i keep coming back to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I don't listen to him loads and have to be in the mood but he really was amazing. He just hit the guitar SO hard and seemed to play rhythm at the same time as playing a solo!

neverfastenuff
    Free Member
    saladdodger
    Free Member

Johhny Marr / Garry Moore imho

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

wilko Johnson when he was younger – total psycho 1000 yard stare.

and perhaps john Martyn

Edric64
    Free Member

Slash from Guns n Roses

_tom_
    Free Member

Probably Michael Schenker (when he's not being an alcoholic or whatever). Strangers in the Night influenced my lead playing a lot.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Listened to loads over the years, but still enjoy Mr Blackmore's style the best
    Not even sure why, but just seems to be different to anyone else

binners

Another vote for Johnny Marr. A completely unique style. An absolute legend!

big-chief-96
    Free Member

newton falkner,joe satriani (he is the best though)

metalheart
    Free Member

Skip James, Stirling Morrison, D Boone or Teenie Hodges.

MrNutt
    Free Member
    buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Enjoying Bonamassa on youtube right now – ta.

Crag
    Free Member

John Squire everytime. Although his solo album was shite.

cinnamon_girl

Currently Joe Bonamassa whom I saw (again) on Sunday. 8) He is so brilliant!

Overall, it's difficult cos I also love Hendrix, SRV, Gary Moore, Neil Young. I better stop now. 🙄

Actually at the moment I'm more into rock than bikes!

DannyLeigh
    Free Member

Another one for Dimebag Darrel here.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Love Gary Moore doing RandR: Walking by myself

Only he isn't walking 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Brian Setzer

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

John McGeoch,Prince and another one for Johnny Marr.

muggomagic

johnny marr for me too. such a great sound.

matt bellamy is a favourite too

souldrummer
    Free Member

Has to be Richard Thompson. Such a variety of playing styles and song writing.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I really like 'edge'. He's not the best by some way, but gas come up with some truely awesome stuff. Has a lot of tiny detail and flair.

Hendrix for me is the all time great. The stuff he was doing, at such a young age is mindblowing

nbt

Walter Trout. Technically competent rather than outstanding but nonetheless he makes that guitar sing.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Tommy Emmanuel.
    His is my fave (and the best) acoustic guitarist in the world! FACT!! 😀

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhR04kmcSXU

renton
    Free Member

Dave gilmour.

end of ….

flyingfox
    Free Member

Brian May. Simples.

MrsToast
    Free Member

Another vote for Dimebag.

tyger
    Free Member

Mark Knopfler – saw him last Thursday in Brighton – fantastic 🙂

Zoolander
    Free Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free bird.

mudpup
    Free Member

Chris De Garmo

Northwind

Matt Bellamy. Unfairly talented, but with Edge-like command of the whole FX/weird noises side of guitar to boot. He can be a wee bit fretwanky but usually it works as part of the songs. I just love the way he takes on influences. "I like Steve Vai. I'll learn to play like him. OK, done. Next? Tom Morello. Next? Buddy Guy. Next?" It's taken Tom Morello all his life to learn to play like Tom Morello, it took Matt Bellamy about 2 years. Then he got bored of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ4QshsTE3U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPWHazb4hDM

And then he goes and does this

Not enough being a damn fine guitarist, he can fairly wail on a pipe organ too. I've never heard or felt anything like it in my life :mrgreen:

Having said that I've got a lot of time for Simon Neil from Biffy Clyro. Not the best guitarist in the world- though no slouch- but I remember the first time I heard them thinking "Hey, that lead guitarist's pretty good. The rhythm guitarist's not bad either. Hey, where's the rhythm guitarist?" and then realising it was just him.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My absolute favourite player is Django Reinhardt (link with some outstanding violin from SG). Contemporary players like Dorado Schmitt and Biréli Lagrène (link) are thrilling and a joy to listen to, but Django just seemed to exist on a different level altogether. In terms of pure expression, no player has ever exceeded Django Reinhardt's ability. In my opinion, of course!

In a more popular arena, Jimmy Page never ceases to amaze me. Another player with similar attitude, approach and groove is Jack White. Nowhere near as accomplished as Page was at his age and nowhere near the repertoire, but one of a very few guitarists who have "it".

JamesH
    Free Member

Paul Gilbert. (just can't get over the immense precision and technicality of his work)
    Currently trying to learn this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES1RypBww_g

and failing…

muggomagic

northwind, going to see muse in sept. if they don't play citizen erased i'm gonna bumrush the stage!

chewkw
    Free Member

John Denver the best in the world.

🙂

_tom_
    Free Member

Lynyrd Skynyrd – Free bird.

This is seriously the worst song ever. A solo (which isn't even that good) doesn't make a crap song good.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Not the best, but your favourite guitarist’ is closed to new replies.