Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Not sure if my Hope hub is rescuable?
  • thegreatape
    Free Member

Pro 2 Evo rear. Took the cassette off today as it was a bit wobbly. Then took the freehub off. And saw a terrifying grey paste with lots of little balls and shards of metal in it, which once upon a time was a bearing. The freehub, ratchet ring, hub shell and spacers have gouges in, varying from lots to a few. The freehub is beyond repair because I broke it getting the pawls out, but I think it was probably screwed anyway. So do I get a new freehub and bearings and reassemble it, or does that sound like it’s shagged? I’ve emailed some pictures to Hope to see what they think, but it’s 2016 so I need an answer before tomorrow obviously 🙂 It’s 2 years old but nothing ever felt wrong 😕

Liftman

I’m a sure hope will sort you out

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS man you dont have more than one set of wheel to put another freehub on to see…..I feel for you
    Essentially borrow a free hub from someone and see if it still works is

Hard to tell without pictures tbh and even then you will just need to try one to see.

thegreatape
    Free Member

No JY, not all of us are super rich 🙂

I’ll see what Hope say…

Junkyard
    Free Member

How about you go round to a friends house who has said wheel and either
    1. Ask to try
    2. Says its been reported stolen and you are taking it back to the station for “further investigations”

Me rich – mine are XC 😉

edge85

I had the exact same thing earlier this year. The freehub bearing closest to the hub collapsed. Hope asked me to send it in and they returned it a couple of days later all fixed.

thegreatape
    Free Member

The only person I know with the same wheel has just bought it and it’s brand new and therefore a Pro 4 anyway, is it the same freehub, even if he’ll let me disassemble his brand new wheel!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hub

I can’t seem to post pictures from Flickr any more, but there are some up there now, albeit not the best pictures ever taken 🙂

EDIT – That’s good to hear edge85

benpinnick

Seen that happen a couple of times. Hope will fix it for you for the cost of sending them your wheel.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Splendid, thanks Ben.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Hope reckon (from the pictures) that the hub shell will be fine with a bit of a tickle with a file, and are replacing the freehub FOC.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

sounds pretty damn reasonable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Not sure if my Hope hub is rescuable?’ is closed to new replies.