Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Not sure I get this – fining people too poor to have somewhere to sleep
  • tinybits
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-37693295

I mean – how the hell is someone who can’t get enough money together to get a roof over their heads going to be able to pay the sodding fine?!
    NIMBYism?

Drac

Good luck fining someone with no income or fixed abode

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Where will they send the bailiffs and what will they take?
    Poor sods, and I mean the one’s with willies so small they have to pick on the week and vulnerable to make themselves feel good.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Yeah, thats about as stupid as stupid gets.

br
    Free Member

Good luck fining someone with no income or fixed abode

It’s not the initial fine that is the problem, but not paying the fine is then a criminal offence.

Same approach has been used for years to ‘criminalise’ folk, TV licences anyone?

chewkw
    Free Member

You guys don’t get it …

The Rushcliffe Borough Council has followed the rules as dictated by their computer system.

Computer says … issue fines.

Then once that is expired the computer will say “eviction”.

Finally “arrest” if previous actions do not improve the matter.

MSP

If someone is sleeping rough something has gone wrong in their life already, but if they are lucky they may find a path back, that is now being made much less likely by some **** prick in authority criminalising their already sad life.

RustySpanner

Yeah, but it makes me feel like the sheriff in Rambo.

fin25
    Free Member

My wife does a lot of work collecting for charity. She went to a local church last week in quite a well-to-do village. One of the parishioners stated that she doesn’t want to help the homeless as “they are usually better off than I am”.
    The system that rewards that woman with a million pound house and a Porsche whilst punishing those at the very bottom disgusts me.

People disgust me.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If someone is sleeping rough something has gone wrong in their life already, but if they are lucky they may find a path back, that is now being made much less likely by some **** prick in authority criminalising their already sad life.

Yet someone will be along shortly support this vile action.

frankconway

I volunteer with a homeless charity and was disappointed but not surprised by Rushcliffe council.
    Brain dead policy; issue fine – can’t pay – increase fine upto £1k max – still can’t pay – go to court – then what?
    They should look at integrating with the city and county council homeless policies and services instead of acting unilaterally and victimising those who are already holding the shitty end of the stick.
    Local councillors influenced by ‘wealthy’ residents – two groups of incompetents and each with a sense of ‘entitlement’.
    I wonder if Ken Clarke, the local mp, will be attending the homelessness debate in the commons next thursday?
    If anyone reading this is a constituent of his, why not email his office and ask the question.

mickmcd
    Free Member

britain becoming more like NAZI germany each day…….

andyfla
    Free Member

hmm, so a criminal record and the bailiffs after you if you ever get to the stage of being able to turn your life around,

I can’t see the problems here …..

maccruiskeen

Rushcliffe Borough Council is using powers introduced in 2014, called Public Spaces Protection Orders (PSPOs).
    The powers mean councils can ban certain activities if they have had “a detrimental effect on the quality of life of those in the locality”.

So could the same bans and fines be levied on odious residents?

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

But they are so untidy 😉 What business owner wants to be turfing tramps out of their doorways of a morning? What we need is more expensive housing and a poorer hand-to-mouth desperate workforce to exploit, it’s the fewchure.

Disclaimer: I in no way endorse the vile repugnant behaviour of your average two faced British twatbag who believes for every problem there is a punishment.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

What a great world we live. It seems everyone in society who needs help, now gets a kicking instead.

TheBrick
    Free Member

This together with the guy who wanted to make it treason to not support brexit shows how usless local councils are. The fact that this got past some nut jobs proposal and was passed. Unbelievable levels of idiocity.

footflaps

What a great world we live. It seems everyone in society who needs help, now gets a kicking instead.

You’re forgetting, there’s no such thing as society….

5thElefant
    Free Member

You should have paid more attention at school.

maccruiskeen

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-FgNH2V3xY[/video]

maccruiskeen

In so much as the trains are getting more punctual

[edit] that was Mussolini. Wrong fascist. Damn.

csb

No one is going to be enforcing these fines, it’s just to legitimise harassment that persuades them to leave the nice areas and go somewhere else.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Makes no sense, considering they haven’t got any money to start with!

They should fine them with “community service” time instead; Rushcliffe ends up cleaner and tidier and the homeless get given a sense of worth/purpose. Everyone benefits.

nach
    Free Member

Growing up in Nottingham I never heard “bread and lard island”. It is a bit like the story says though. If you carry on south to Edwalton, you get to streets where houses were built with gardens much bigger at the front than the back.

Shame, Nottingham used to have an amazing homelessness charity that achieved a very low number of rough sleepers at one point. I think it was 2011 they were handed a 50% funding cut, and probably more since.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

They should fine them with “community service” time instead; Rushcliffe ends up cleaner and tidier and the homeless get given a sense of worth/purpose. Everyone benefits.

That’s great and I think you should lead by example.
    Well done.
    That takes some courage.

pitduck
    Free Member

Csb..”its just to legitimise harassment.” Nail head interface!

aracer
    Free Member

Brain dead policy; issue fine – can’t pay – increase fine upto £1k max – still can’t pay – go to court – then what?

Paupers prison I presume. That has to be a cost effective way to get them off the streets.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Well you could get a load of fines and then go to prison as you can’t pay – you’ll have a room over your head.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Paupers prison I presume. That has to be a cost effective way to get them off the streets.

Or invest in a hostal. 💡

AdamW
    Free Member

Idiot on the East Midlands Today FB page: “We should send them back where they came from”.

St Anns? the Meadows? Radford?

I did some work with a Christian group many moons ago giving soup and fags to the homeless. The ones we met were all locals with either drink or drug problems, or in one case an old lady who had run away from her violent husband.

The world is turning into a nasty bigoted place. 🙁

garage-dweller

So let me get this straight. We spend public money issuing someone who has nothing with a £100 fine that would see them fed for a month (possibly more) and then when they don’t pay it we spend more public money to increase it to £1000 and give them a criminal record so their chances of getting back on their feet become even worse and maybe just maybe we issue an arrest warrant (using public money again) and lock them up for a few days to teach them a lesson when they don’t pay the fine.

End result we spend a whole heap of cash to give them a night or two in a bed with a couple of hot meals.

If that’s the end position why not give them £100 to stay in a low cost B and B and have a meal or two at the local pizza place? Same net effect but only costs us £100.

I am of course being flippant but really how is criminalising people in this situation of any humanitarian, societal or financial benefit.

Better to look for solutions to the problems that put and keep them there.

funkmasterp

Words fail me. Some cockwombleness of the highest order going on. Basic version seems to be person sleeps rough because of various reasons, person two (who probably lives with their partner in a four bedroom house) complains. Answer is to fine person with no income or assets. Farcical.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If that’s the end position why not give them £100 to stay in a low cost B and B and have a meal or two at the local pizza place? Same net effect but only costs us £100.

That sounds like the “cashback scheme” that they’re going to try in Toxteth…..

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Lily Allen should sort it out.

MoreCashThanDash

“We should send them back where they came from”.
    St Anns? the Meadows? Radford?

Bloody hell, man, do you not think these people have suffered enough?

I work in central Nottingham, and use the canal towpath to ride in if I commute by bike. Always been an issue of homeless and alcoholics around the towpath, but this last few months there has regularly been people living in tents between the marina and the retail park. It’s definitely getting worse as an issue.

As plenty have said, these people need help, not criminalising.

jamj1974

The system that rewards that woman with a million pound house and a Porsche whilst punishing those at the very bottom disgusts me.

Agreed and the people who defend that system have blood on their hands – plain and simple.

cinnamon_girl

Watched this earlier:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0803b8x

Very sad and how on earth did this country get away with treating people in such a demeaning manner. 🙁

Ken Loach’s new film “I, Daniel Blake” has already won an award at Cannes. No doubt it will be as hard-hitting as “Cathy Come Home”. Will definitely watch.

yunki
    Free Member

heh… there’s a few on here that orgasm over the situation

cinnamon_girl

Undoubtedly yunki.

Northwind

…and you know fine well some people on this forum are reading this and going “bloody lefties”

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Not sure I get this – fining people too poor to have somewhere to sleep’ is closed to new replies.