Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Not so ghetto tubeless inflator…
  • dee2hig
    Free Member

OK, admittedly not as ghetto, therefore not as cool as the pop-bottle version, but as I had one of these Ronseal creosote-sprayer hobbies in the garage, and a very stubborn Conti X-King that just refused to play, it got cracked out…

Bit of 6mm internal diameter tubing and a pair of mole grips, job’s a good un…

The beauty of the Ronseal (other varnishes are probably available) thing is that it has a built in pump and a pressure release valve set at 45psi. At 5L capacity that’s enough stocked energy to pop the beads on most tyres, I reckon.

Less fun than pumping a Coke bottle up to 100psi, granted.

oldnpastit

Cool! And the valve and logo are aligned!

TiRed

Stick a presta valve on in place of the pressure valve and it will go higher than 40 psi. Then add a proper track pump tube and chuck and you have my set up.

jonba
    Free Member

Have something very similar myself. Works very well and was cheap and simple to make.

Min had a trigger on it for the spray so I added the tubing after that so no need for the mole grips. I roughly checked the safety on mine using a track pump and it was about 60psi. A 3L sprayer got a 2.2″ 29er seated comfortably. I’m sure someone could figure out the sizes and pressures that would work (Ideal gas/Boyles law) but got for about 5L and it is probably going to work unless it is a fat bike.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

That’s a really flippin good idea!

dee2hig
    Free Member

^oldnpastit^ ‘course the valve lines up with the tyre label! Whaddya take me for?

^jonba^ now why didn’t I think of that? Doh!

enfht
    Free Member

Shirley if the tyre wont inflate with a basic floor pump then the fits too loose and needs more tape? Fooling the tyre into inflating with a high pressure pump will leave the tyre prone to burping?

Cool set up though.

Nobby

Go high pressure

120psi will seat & inflate 2 tyres easily. 🙂

jonba
    Free Member

Shirley if the tyre wont inflate with a basic floor pump then the fits too loose and needs more tape? Fooling the tyre into inflating with a high pressure pump will leave the tyre prone to burping?

For me I use standard tyres. I find a short sharp blast of air is needed to seat some tyres – particularly if they’ve been on and off a couple of times. I’ve never had a problem with burping. Some tyres I managed with the track pump but this is 100% effective with no soapy liquid etc. so minimal faff which is great.

jonba
    Free Member

dee2hig
    Free Member

^enfht^ as the trye beads actually seat on the ‘shoulders’ of the rim and not in the well, not convinced that more rim tape would help a lot. Annyhoo, these are Mavic Crossmaxes with the snazzy Mavic UST sealed box-section rims, so no tape involved.

I think the issue is how well the rim/tyre combo match up – for example I have never had the least problem with any tyre from Hutchinson or from Maxxis with these rims – they all seal with the least puff from a track pump, regardless of whether they are tubeless ready or not. Schwalbe – massive PITA, really hard to get ’em to pop. These Contis were a real struggle too until I broke out the Ghetto inflator 🙂

Remains to see if they are more burp-prone in action….will report back.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Not so ghetto tubeless inflator…’ is closed to new replies.