Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)
  • not riding trail centres
  • rOcKeTdOg

Does anyone never ride the groomed trails & is 100% natural only? Thinking of an armoured surface mtb motorway free 2015

miketually
    Free Member

I rarely ride trail centres, but that’s because I rarely ride.

When I do ride, I tend towards Swaledale more than Hamsterley (the two local options) which is ‘natural’ in the sense of being mining, farming and quarrying tracks and not made specifically for MTBing.

ads678

does it really matter where you ride if you enjoying it?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve never been to one, well unless you call Stainburn one that is. But then Stainburn is just over the fields from the Farm and too close for me not to occasionally play on it innit.

But no, never been to one and I have no intention of going either. I know some might think I’m missing out, I don’t.

The thing that puts me off, they all seem the same, geared towards uplifts for the uninterested in climbing types and pajamas wearing.

Mebbies they scare me, the pajamas that is 😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

I last rode a UK trail center in 20082010 I forgot a trip to Swinley. I do ride some of the official Surrey Hills trails but most of it is unofficial.

EDIT: I will be doing more riding at QECP in the future but overall I would say I will be 80% natural.

dunmail
    Free Member

I was thinking of asking this myself. I’m sure there’s a continuum between those who only ride at trail centres and those who never ride at trail centres.

This year I’ve ridden at a trail centre just … twice. I’ll average between two and three rides a week so that’s something like 80 rides not at trail centres. If it’s a wet year I’ll ride at centres more but the last couple of years have been so dry (and the trails are still dry) that I haven’t seen the need.

andysredmini
    Free Member

My friend and I tend to go to them a couple of times in the summer and always enjoy it but are never in a rush to go back.
    Having been to a fair few over the years I think I would give up biking if trail centres were the only option as I find them very dull, boring and the riding always seems forced.
    Luckily we have much better riding locally to choose from including kinver, clent and the wyre forest.

wwaswas

I’ve never been to a trail centre.

Not even somewhere with ‘natural’ bike trails you have to ride a certain way round.

RustySpanner

I like both.

Rude not too.
    😀

But no, never been to one and I have no intention of going either. I know some might think I’m missing out, I don’t.

The thing that puts me off, they all seem the same, geared towards uplifts for the uninterested in climbing types and pajamas wearing.

Nah.
    I much prefer natural stuff, but I’ve never been to a trail centre that wasn’t fun.

Limiting the possibility to enjoy yourself because of some daft prejudice is a little silly, isn’t it?

And try The Marin or Penmachno and tell me there’s not got enough climbing.
    🙂

Northwind

I’ll keep on riding what I feel like on any particular day rather than put any restrictions on my fun.

faustus

I rarely ride trail centres, but wouldn’t ever discount any terrain from my riding. All riding on all surfaces is all good. Too much of one thing probably isn’t, so why not mix it up more, or just ride what you fancy riding – freedom of choice is key.

I have fun at trail centres when I go, but would get frustrated with their particular formula and crowds if I rode them a lot.

mattjg
    Free Member

I last rode a UK trail center in 2008.

You’ve missed a few treats then. If you’ve not ridden Labyrinth @ Swinley your life is poorer for it.

Trail centres can be fun, ‘natural’ riding is brill, it’s all part of the experience.

nealglover
    Free Member

Having never been to one, you will understand why this opinion isn’t right 😉

I’ve been to a few, non of which where geared towards uplift at all.
    Or wearing pyjamas.

moonboy
    Free Member

both! Just riding really…

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ve never been to one…

The thing that puts me off, they all seem the same, geared towards uplifts for the uninterested in climbing types and pajamas wearing.I’ll agree with that… You’ve never been to one. 😆 no idea how you formed that opinion

I ride both. Both are good.

ads678

Bikebouy – Stainburn is a trail centre and the rest of your post is pointless as you’ve never been to a trail centre and have completely missed the point of them.

They are handy for a quick blast and usually good fun as you can blast around them without fear of walkers or dogs getting in the way.

I like to just ride whatever i feel like at the time. The trail centre haters should really get over them selves.

Northwind

bikebouy – Member

I think there’s exactly 1 trail centre in the UK that meets this description. (not counting innerleithen, ae, nevis range etc because they’re basically separate trailcentres and downhill venues, the uplifts access different tracks). Most trailcentres are incompatible with uplifts and not really suitable for a pyjama party.

So, yeah, you might want to give it a go, it’s nothing at all like you think, you might be missing out.

rene59
    Free Member

Both, trail centres in winter, natural trails for summer. Mostly.

Mbnut
    Free Member

Ok i’ll bite but only gently.

‘Armoured surfaced mtb motorway’ suggests you are tarring many places spread over the entire country (including Scotland) with the same brush.

I enjoy trail centres but there are some that I do not much care for and there is a particular type of trail that doesn’t appeal.

So in part I get what you are saying as I avoid the surfaced trails but there are plenty of excellent trails that have been around a long time and were craved from the terrain rather than dumped on top of it.

As for the pj type centres they are still in the minority but have a place and I enjoy them when I am there.

Did a stunning trip up to the Borders this summer, some trail centre stuff and some natural, worked well for me.

Be happy.

dunmail
    Free Member

I have fun at trail centres when I go, but would get frustrated with their particular formula and crowds if I rode them a lot.

This for me too. I enjoy them but I enjoy natural trails more.

There is a surety about them in that you know you are going to be able to ride whereas with a natural trail you might come across a missing bridge or similar and have to turn back. I’ve done both day and weekend trips to trail centres so it’s not as if I’m not prepared to put the effort in to visit them. It’s a bit like grabbing a takeaway, nice now and again but I couldn’t eat them every day.

I don’t know how many trail centres there are in the UK these days but I’ve been to quite a few and to be fair I haven’t come away from any thinking: “Well that was carp, not going back there”. Whether I have gone back is another matter 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

The last time I rode Hamsterley was on a cross bike, in the middle of a longer ride.

retro83
    Free Member

wtf is a pajama trail centre? I feel like I am missing out on something important

flyingmonkeycorps

I was gonna say both, but actually I don’t think I’ve ridden a trail centre this year. Not our of choice, I’ve not done much riding in general the last few months, more out of circumstance.

Oh wait, I tell a lie, I did ride at Parkwood for an afternoon.

rOcKeTdOg

Ok i’ll bite but only gently.
    ‘Armoured surfaced mtb motorway’ suggests you are tarring many places spread over the entire country (including Scotland) with the same brush.

Was only meant in the way that the surface is man made & everyone travels in the same direction

deadkenny
    Free Member

All depends on the trail centre, but some in particular I quite enjoy riding, but I wouldn’t want to be riding the same official trails on a weekly basis.

I prefer to roam and explore, mix it up and do different things, and there’s so much variety available with so called natural trails (most are actually worked on by pixies to some degree so no entirely natural, but they feel it). Trail conditions also vary throughout the year which makes it a different experience each time. People make changes, good and bad, which makes it more interesting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Depends how you define “trail center” though doesn’t it?

On the one hand a former roman road on the yorkshire moors isn’t ‘natural’. But neither is a bit of Singletrack at Tunnel Hill (but it it rooty/bumpy/twisty/all things good). You could formalise Tunnel hill just like Swinley was (if the army wasn’t there).

Basicly, it’s all good fun, and frequently the ‘trail center’ is more fun. The USP of ‘natural’ rides to me isn’t that they’re better riding (frequently they’re crap, boggy, too flat, too rocky, too steep, or overgrown), it’s the getting ‘out there’ or exploring a new route, seeing a view, acomplishing a challenge. Having said that I don’t travel very much for MTBing, I ususaly just ride whatevers on my doorstep at the time.

Mister-P
    Free Member

And try The Marin or Penmachno and tell me there’s not got enough climbing.

That’s my weekend plans. Never ridden either so I am quite looking forward to them.

dang100
    Free Member

I’m based in Spain and trail centres don’t really exist here in the same way as they do in the UK. We have bike parks – with ski-lifts and woodwork on the trails and all that – which are more DH oriented. Also, there is the odd trail with home-made berms and jumps on an otherwise natural trail but other than that its pretty much all natural. Last time I went to a trail centre was Coed y Brenin in 2001. I must say I really enjoyed it but I also enjoyed getting out into the wilderness.

amedias
    Free Member

everyone travels in the same direction

not at night 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

You’ve missed a few treats then. If you’ve not ridden Labyrinth @ Swinley your life is poorer for it.

@mattjg
    I actually edited my post to say 2010 as I had forgotten a trip to Swinley. TBH I thought it wasn’t worth the drive (40 mins to Bracknell vs 15 to Peaslake), I rode Labyrinth which was indeed OK but I find Swinley to up and down whereas Surrey Hills is more consistent climb then descend.

martinhutch

everyone travels in the same direction

not at night

Thread sidetrack – which trail centres and sections are the best ones for a bit of reverse-direction fun?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I think the last thing in the world I’d ever do is take time out of my life to purposely think “I’m not going to ride man made trails next year”, especially since man made trails offer so much fun per mile. I live in what I consider to be one of the best areas for natural riding in the UK and yet I love going to trail centres.

moonboy
    Free Member

^ deserving of it’s own thread? I mean the bit about riding in reverse. not backwards mind.

mattjg
    Free Member

@mattjg I actually edited my post to say 2010 as I had forgotten a trip to Swinley. TBH I thought it wasn’t worth the drive (40 mins to Bracknell vs 15 to Peaslake), I rode Labyrinth which was indeed OK but I find Swinley to up and down whereas Surrey Hills is more consistent climb then descend.

I’d never swap Swinley for BPSH but it’s fun to have both: speaking as someone who’s close enough to Peaslake to ride there.

You’re right Swinley is more rolling, it’s pretty tiring actually!

jools182
    Free Member

I’ve never been to a trail centre

nothing against it, but all my rides are from my door

although now living in Glossop, there isn’t much riding straight from the door

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

What P-Jay said.

Why the hell wouldn’t you want to go and ride somewhere thats purpose built for mountain biking?!!?

IHN

I don’t like them. To be honest, I understand why people do more than I understand why I don’t, but I don’t.

Why the hell wouldn’t you want to go and ride somewhere thats purpose built for mountain biking?!!?[/i]

For exactly that reason.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

How odd.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Why the hell wouldn’t you want to go and ride somewhere thats purpose built for mountain biking?!!?

Because some of us are looking for a scense of adventure, it’s not something you’ll find at a trail center apart from perhaps the first visit or two.

The riding is just a part of the overall experience imo.

ampthill

While we fill a thread of tired old arguments

Does anyone never ride the groomed trails & is 100% natural only?

Surely there are no natural trails? well maybe the Slick Rock trail, but that really feels like a trail centre

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 143 total)

The topic ‘not riding trail centres’ is closed to new replies.