Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Not ridden my bike for past 3 weeks because I've been…
  • mikeyd
    Free Member

…building this;

If you’re interested check out the build thread;
    http://www.grainsurf.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5057

If you want me to make you one, e-mail in profile!

Mike

cloudnine
    Free Member

Nice craftsmanship but wont it be just like surfing on a door?

batfink
    Free Member

Read the build thread…. VERY nice! Finished board looks amazing – I’d love to have a go at something like this, but I have nowhere near the skills/patience!

boblo
    Free Member

Awesome! 🙂

Sandwich

What cover are you using for ironing? 😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nice work, amazed at how thin the balsa you’ve used is on that. How did you know it would be fine to use such thin wood or is a bit of trial and error. Either way top marks though.

mikeyd
    Free Member

Thanks for the comments,

ref surfs like a door – that’s what I thought when I first saw a ‘mini simmons’ style surfboard – check out http://www.minisimmonssurfboards.com

The main strength comes from the glass/epoxy, the wood is basically a former for this (but does impart some strength). I decided thin wood with a thick glass job would be cheaper to make… I haven’t used it yet so hopefully I’m not wrong!

Matt_SS_xc

Looks superb. I aim to make 1 sometime! Let’s hope there is some swell again soon! Update on how it rides would be awesome I’ve always fancied a stubbie- I’m guessing skatey? More so than a lil fish?

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Awesone workmanship but sorry mate, the way the pic is composed with all the daisies, it just reminds me of a grave stone. Also is that 5mm or 7mm laminate flooring you have used?

stuarty
    Free Member

I thought some one had nicked my worktops

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Longevity..? How much for 1?

mikeyd
    Free Member

lol, yes, it does look a bit like a grave stone made from a kitchen worksurface..

It’s 3.2mm balsawood with 2 x 6oz fibreglass/epoxy, should be pretty solid.

Longevity? should be a decent amount of time since it has a tough glass layup on it. The main thing with these boards is to make sure they get wet on the inside, and if they do dry them out properly and repair.

Price? I’d probably knock one out for around £600 depending on size and options etc.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Not ridden my bike for past 3 weeks because I've been…’ is closed to new replies.