Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 'Not quite winter' gloves…
  • BadlyWiredDog

I’m looking for a glove to replace the latest in a series of pairs of outdoordesigns Cycleflex glove, which unfortunately are no longer available. They have a windproof Powershiled, soft shell back and fake leather palms with light padding. Not a huge amount of insulation, but warm enough for anything short of proper winter thanks to the soft shell back.

I’m looking for something to replace them that gives enough weather protection, but without having fat, insensitive palms or some sort of awful slippery insert that moves between your hands and the bars.

So far I’ve spotted the Gore Alp-X 2.0 Windstopper Light gloves and the non-light standard Alp-X 2.0 Windstopper, which look promising. Also wondering about the Specialized Deflect? Any feedback or other ideas welcome, thanks!

scotroutes

I’ve just bought a (replacement) set of Endura Strikes for the conditions you describe. Not a full-on winter glove but too warm for 6 months of the year. The last set lasted 6 years before finally giving up on me.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks, but I refuse to give money to Endura. Everything I’ve had from them bar my original MT500 tights from years ago has simply fallen apart.

MSP

I run quite hot and love my pearl izumi pro softshell lite gloves, I find them good for around 0-5 degrees, above that I have some casteli roubaix backed gloves and for below zero I have some insulated pearl izumi gloves, but I hate insulated gloves.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pearl-Izumi-Mens-Softshell-Glove/dp/B009A9OH1U

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-lightness-full-finger-gloves/

jimw
    Free Member

I have the Alp-X 2.0 and they are very good for all but the coldest/wettest days. Excellent feel yet good protection from wind.
    Edit:
    My first pair lasted three years of fairly intense use over autumn-late spring before wearing out at the finger seams that touch the brake levers. I bought another pair exactly the same as I liked them so much. Now on their second season and still wearing well

Jamie
    Free Member

Specialized Deflects?

[img]http://i.imgur.com/fjyVz49.jpg[/img]

Edit: Should learn to read, really.

Anyway, I have bought some, but not used them yet as not got cold enough. Stitching/layup seems quite agricultural, but sure they’ll work ok. Went for slightly bigger size than usual, so I could get some liner gloves in there.

FWIW: The liners are these ones off eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130456612114

njee20
    Free Member

Assos Factory Outlet had some of their Insulator gloves cheap a few weeks back, picked up a pair and very impressed. Got some merino liners to go underneath if it’s really cold.

goodgrief
    Free Member

Royal Celsius, I have 3 pairs now to make sure I don’t have to look for a replacement for a while.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Pearl Izumi Cyclone

They do change the design each year so you need to check. I’ve had 3 pairs over many years of daily commute wear through all but the coldest winter days. Middle pair had bulky gel, most recent don’t – much better.

richardthird

DeFeet Dura. (The people who make woolie boolie socks) All I use until it gets warm again.

raisinhat
    Free Member

Scott minus gloves – windstopper back, all one layer, 0 padding with thin palm (possibly clarino?). I tend to get very cold hands, and have found these to be really excellent. They do fit very snug. so size up if you want to wear a liner glove underneath for proper winter.

boxelder

Planet X Flanders – I use them more than my Endura, Spesh etc.
    £10 – got to be worth a try?

Haze

Castelli Lightness?

wiggles
    Free Member

100% do some semi-winter gloves for £20

lunge

2nd the PX Flanders glove, really good for the money.

stumpy01

I got some of the older Specialized Deflect and they are perfect for the weather/temp you describe.

Not too thermal, and with a windproof layer. They do alright in a bit of rain too.

BadlyWiredDog

Thanks all, much appreciated – I shall do some mulling. The Flanders sounds like it’s worth a look at any rate.

boxelder

The Flanders sounds like it’s worth a look at any rate.

z1ppy

Those Flanders are a bargain, very happy with mine (recommended here), just go a size or 2 up! As the fitting chart is nonsense

theotherjonv

Altura night vision. But if those PX ones are anywhere near good at that price, I’m all ears.

medoramas
    Free Member

DeFeet Dura. (The people who make woolie boolie socks) All I use until it gets warm again.

I love these gloves. If it’s above freezing and dry they are great! Around 10° they are nice even when soaking wet.

Mind that they “work” the best when you work hard – not the gloves to wear in cold when standing still 😉

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘'Not quite winter' gloves…’ is closed to new replies.