Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Not quite what I intended.
  • colournoise

Inspired by this old thread – http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/rat-look – I thought I’d build a ratty pub/shop bike. Envisaged some kind of MTB/cruiser mutant from the bits I had, but got carried away and seem to have built a vaguely rat look MTB/hybrid cafe racer. Rides OK though and with a 40t ring coming from the ‘bay should be quick enough for pub runs.

bikeneil
    Free Member

That looks like a terribly uncomfortable riding position.

yunki
    Free Member

that’s beautiful that is 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Every single thing about that bike is wrong.

I like it.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I take it your spine has a big hinge in the middle? Even in my flexible salad days that would have looked uncomfortable…

colournoise

Has some MTB heritage – frame is an early 90s Peugeot steel MTB frame, and the forks are from a 1989 Muddy Fox Pathfinder.

colournoise

Only had a quick spin on it so far. Not really uncomfortable, measured the reach and its only 20mm shorter than my Alpine. A bit more hunched obviously but didn’t seem horrendous. Will never be used for long rides anyway.

To be honest, it ended up being built a bit for the looks rather than the ride. To many yank car makeover shows on Discovery!

munrobiker
    Free Member

It should be rubbish but I love it.

boblo
    Free Member

Well you succeeded. That is one ratty bike 🙂

jasonwinder123
    Free Member

That’s pretty cool!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Needs mismatching tyres and odd grips for the proper uglies. The paint job however is awesome.

scaredypants

looks good

… but the pink cables are a crime against humanity 🙁

matt_outandabout

Your bricky was keen with the plastic inserts then…

loddrik
    Free Member

That’s pimpable, start with an XTR chainset.

colournoise

Think I agree with every comment!

Definitely got a bit of a love/hate going on myself with it.

wordnumb – Member
    Needs mismatching tyres and odd grips for the proper uglies. The paint job however is awesome.

Cheers. Might not believe it, but the ‘paint job’ took two days. Layers of old paint and hammerite, rust, various bits of gaffer tape and stickers, paint stripper, drill and wire brush, blowtorch, sandpaper and finally a couple of coats of clear to seal it all. Was just going to strip it back to bare metal, but the art degree instinct took over and everything went a bit abstract expressionist on me.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I like that a lot.

everyone
    Free Member

That’s amazing! I want one now.

timbur
    Free Member

Do you not have a pair of cable cutters?

😈

stevied
    Free Member

Looks like it’s got 2 saddles, one on top of the other 😮

colournoise

stevied – Member
    Looks like it’s got 2 saddles, one on top of the other

Yeah, the saddle’s a bit of a failed experiment that still needs some work. Had an old 24seven saddle that had a separate base and pad, so tried to re-cover it with bits of old inner tube to fit the aesthetic of the bike. Got the cover a bit too thick underneath and it doesn’t sit quite right on the base anymore.

Jef Wachowchow – Member
    I like that a lot.

everyone – Member
    That’s amazing! I want one now.

Thanks. Half tempted while I have the time (school holidays) to source some old parts and build up another similar thing to stick on the ‘bay etc. See if there’s any small demand for ‘custom’ not-quite-rat bikes.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Not quite what I intended.’ is closed to new replies.