• This topic has 92 replies, 54 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by hels.
Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Not putting the clocks back. Is this a good idea ?
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

sorry, i’m being childish.

i did early mornings for 3 years. never again – if i have a choice…

igm

So the answer is change the clocks so everyone has to get up earlier?

I’m not buying it.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dear god people, get a grip. It’s light at 4am in the summer, and at the same time it’s light until 11-12 at night, do you want to go to bed in the light?

At the end of the day it’s the switching around that causes most of the confusion. I wonder what number of people are injured due to having forgotten to change the clocks and rushing to work late?

Just stick with one time and accept that its entirely NATURAL that the daylight hours vary with the seasons – we’re divorced from nature enough as it is. If it bothers you that much, get a job where you can work flexi-time and get up/go to bed with the sun.

gordimhor

Thank you coffeeking some sense at last. I am all for sticking to one time all year round – GMT:-)

igm

Coffeeking & Gordimhor +1

ononeorange

Haven’t read all of the above but for me would rather stick to changing. This morning I actually saw a little bit of daylight on the way to work, and will have it (hopefully) for a few more weeks. It means a lot. Without it, the only daylight I get to see at all until next April (apart from through tinted quadruple-glazed windows on the other side of the office) is at weekends. Can’t be healthy.

hels
    Free Member

Time is not a fixed concept (unlike lunchtime) except in relation to how others have fixed it, if you know what I mean.

The farmer is a classic example – the cows will want milked at the same time whatever the clocks say.

So why don’t we just all work an 8-4 pattern in winter and a 9-5 in spring and autumn and 10-6 in summer ? Shops open and close earlier/later.

Don’t move the clocks, move our work patterns.

ononeorange

Hels, what job do you do that involves 8 hours a day?! Can I have one?

Rio

Don’t move the clocks, move our work patterns.

Not necessarily as easy as it looks, amongst other things if you rely on public transport you’ll find all the trains go at the wrong times so timetables would have to change according to the time of year. I don’t actually see what the need is to have a different time in summer, choose a time that works for winter and stick with it all year.

Just found 3 cameras that need their time changing. At this rate I may get all the clocks right by spring in time to change them back again…

Edit: Make that 4 cameras – forgot about my helmet cam. 👿

hels
    Free Member

ononeorange – actually our core hours are 7.24 per day, so with 30 mins for lunch its more like 08.05 – 16.00. I thought that was quite normal in this country ? Seems cushy to me too !

And sorry but we aren’t hiring.

ahwiles
    Free Member

one more time.

coffeeking is correct. fiddling around with the clocks won’t stop it being dark all the time in winter, or light all the time in summer.

but, in spring/autumn, it’s quite light long before almost everyone gets up. i for one would like that light ‘moved’ to the evening.

on friday i came to work in the light (7:30am). and left from work in the light (5pm). today i will be going home in the dark – how is this an improvement?

ononeorange

Please let me know when you are. Ours are early o’clock until you finish, which is of course, never. The idea of fixed hours is out of this world. And what is this “lunchtime” you speak of?!

Sorry, feeling sorry for myself this morning. Will shut up now.

hels
    Free Member

Douglas Adams: “time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so”.

So that clears that up nicely then.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Not putting the clocks back. Is this a good idea ?’ is closed to new replies.