Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)
  • Not paying your TV Licence
  • Ferris-Beuller
    Free Member

Folks,

After a lunch time blast on youtube i came across a couple of videos on people putting forth a case on getting away without paying your TV licence.

I personally could live without my TV, i rarely use it and tend to watch films / TV series from Netflix.

Has anyone on here has the ‘old town halls’ just not to bother paying it and stand there ground? I believe and it looks like they can start to harass you with home visits….

redpanda
    Free Member

What’s a ‘tv licence’?

tomhoward

They can come round, but you dont have to let them in.

grum
    Free Member

We don’t have one, and we only watch Netflix/iPlayer/downloads etc.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what i find hard to believe is that the fines for not paying it are more than the penalty id get for speeding and driving without insurance.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I didn’t have a TV for 18 months, you get gradualy more threatening letters and jobsworths coming round trying to trick you into saying you use iPlayer to watch live TV etc. But nothing actualy happens.

If you have a TV you need a licence. If you have a 52″ monitor on your PC then you don’t, unless you watch live TV on it, although I’m not sure where non-BBC streams like RedBull covering the Ammericas Cup would fit into that.

kimbers

^^^ tax avodiers

redpanda
    Free Member

^ Massive assumption maker.

dabble
    Free Member

For 3 years as a student i didnt have one, told em to do one whenever they came to the student flat. Now i do have one (i’ve caved!), wish i didn’t. it reall boils my piss when i see some of the crap the BBC spends the brass it takes from us on. I reckon the Beeb should find its own funding, if that means adverts then so be it, the programming is not worth nearly £150 and i’ve only got one cos i cant afford a grands fine if they do turn up and catch me.

Torminalis
    Free Member

the programming is not worth nearly £150

Radio 4 is worth that on its own.

dabble
    Free Member

I’d rather buy 150 quids worth of music and films/ programmes i want to listen to/ watch. A netflix and spotify account together wouldn’t be much more and the choice and convenience would far outweigh anything the beeb offers. But aunty says i must pay and the budget doesn’t stretch that far.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Radio 4 is worth that on its own.

^^This!^^

Not to mention the BBC website, their sport coverage (6N, world cycling, track cycling, TMS etc). Add in a smattering of Attenborough and Cox, all manner of fascination on BBC4, the plethora of comedy on the 1830 slot* and on Radio 4 Extra, etc. etc. etc.

*Although, I demand a refund for “Fags, mags and bags” or whatever it’s called. Utter pish.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If you have a TV you need a licence.

Only if you watch Live TV. You don’t need one if you TV is only plugged into an Xbox or a PS3 for example.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Before Jan last year I wrote to the BBC saying ‘keep it’, wrote to the licence people saying ‘don’t need it’, TV is put away and I don’t miss it. There’s now so little that I want to watch that I can do so on i-player or whatever, about once a month. And since then the licence people wrote an automatic reminder, and that’s all.

No problems, no doorstepping, no nothing. Though maybe they’ll visit my small town sometime, and check on me: they haven’t in twenty months.

Note that you can legally watch stuff on i-player >24 hours after broadcasting.

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m happy to pay the TV license as it pays this guy’s wages:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/sep/18/bbc-presenter-broadcast-paper-ipad

The other stuff he’s done is pretty good too 😉

bigtimebones
    Free Member

Plus the Olympic coverage we had last year was superb. On digital there was about 15ish dedicated channels, the yanks had one, which only showed highlights.

Also I would gladly pay £150 a year to remove adverts from ITV etc. Do my bloody nut in adverts do.

Then again if you barely watch TV then I see £150 a year for something you dont use could be annoying.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

“Fags, mags and bags”

Would that be East Enders?

gonefishin
    Free Member

Nah it was set in Glasgow.

I liked it, but then being brought up in a similar part of the world I could probably relate to the characters and situations a bit better than CFH.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Never had a TV. Never had a TV license. Still get rude letters, but haven’t had anyone knock on the door for a while now. Which means I haven’t had to tell anybody to foxtrot oscar for a while now.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Have akways paid my TV licence and for the following reasons:

Proper News
    BBC RScotland football and Bryan Burnett/Vic Galloway
    R4
    R2
    R6M
    5live
    BBC 2
    The website.

No institution is perfect and alternative forms of entertainment are available, but none are so broad, comprehensive or reliable, they do get it wrong sometimes but the alternative is worse. Have you seen French/Italian/American TV (delete as appropriate) The BBC is why the “other” channels/providers are good at what they do, without the BBC frankly it might go Pete Tong, another reason for the BBC.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

You have seen the fuss about the beeb throwing money at executives, haven’t you?

johndoh
    Free Member

If you have a TV you need a licence.
    Only if you watch Live TV. You don’t need one if you TV is only plugged into an Xbox or a PS3 for example.

My understanding of it is that you have to pay it simply if you have a television capable of receiving live broadcast. (ie, you would have to remove all decoding hardware from the set before you could claim it is only a monitor).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No institution is perfect and alternative forms of entertainment are available, but none are so broad, comprehensive or reliable, they do get it wrong sometimes but the alternative is worse

Well put.

LHS
    Free Member

I’m pretty much in agreement with all above. TV – not worth it, Website and Radio 4 – worth it.

johndoh
    Free Member

What if Radio 4 did a play based around the life of a sausage in a school canteen?

I quite like BBC4

Also I would gladly pay £150 a year to remove adverts from ITV etc. Do my bloody nut in adverts do.

Amen

Last time I tried to watch anything at peak time it was 5 minutes of adverts in every 15.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Top Gear doesn’t pay for itself you know.

euain

My understanding of it is that you have to pay it simply if you have a television capable of receiving live broadcast. (ie, you would have to remove all decoding hardware from the set before you could claim it is only a monitor).

You understand wrong. It’s only if you use it to watch live broadcasts.

nealglover
    Free Member

Top Gear doesn’t just[/i] pay for itself you know.

ftfy.

mangatank
    Free Member

Without getting too David Cameron about this, the BBC,(and queue Vaughan William’s Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis here), is the great cultural jewel of British civilisation.

*Gazes across the green fields, over the white cliffs and out to a sea stained red by the setting sun*

footflaps

We don’t have a TV, but we have a license as occasionally we watch iPlayer. I’m happy to pay for the BBC as without it there’d be no serious competition and we’d just have Sky News looking like Fox news in the USA, which is just a branch of the Republican Party. Spend 5 minutes watching the news in the US and you realise how amazing the BBC is.

mt
    Free Member

@ cfh

“*Although, I demand a refund for “Fags, mags and bags” or whatever it’s called. Utter pish.”

I think it’s laugh out loud funny, especially last weeks.

Have some sympathy with those that suggest the BBC is getting a bit pricey, biased, trendy liberal but every now and again they redeem themselves with some great tv or radio.

somafunk

I’ve never owned a TV and yet the onus is apparently on myself to prove that i do not need a TV license WTF?, I don’t own an HGV but i do not need to prove i have no need for an HGV license…….I don’t own a dangerous wild animal and i do not need to prove i i have no need for a dangerous wild animal license…. I could go on but hopefully you get the point – they have called at my door and received a curt response and i get letters on a regular basis addressed to “the homeowner” with threatening statements on the front but i return them as “not known at this address”.

I would be quite happy to pay for a radio licence as i generally only listen to BBC Radio programming, R4 is a fav despite being only 41 and apparently i am 15yrs below the mean audience rating, Radio Scotland has a few good shows and i’m partial to the World Service as i used to listen to them on my SW radio when in Africa years ago and the World Service is one of our success stories around the world and should be celebrated more, but i would only choose to pay a radio licence fee if it was guaranteed to be spent on radio broadcasting alone.

mogrim

Have you seen French/Italian/American TV (delete as appropriate) The BBC is why the “other” channels/providers are good at what they do, without the BBC frankly it might go Pete Tong, another reason for the BBC.

That’s what I used to think: heading back to the UK for a visit I’d be looking forward to spending a couple of hours stuck to the sofa, enjoying quality UK programming. And it didn’t happen. UK TV is just as crap as the stuff Spain puts out – and I include the BBC in that.

I don’t listen to the radio, though – so maybe you get your money’s worth there.

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve never owned a TV and yet the onus is apparently on myself to prove that i do not need a TV license WTF?

It’s hardly a massive inconvenience though is it ?

i get letters on a regular basis addressed to “the homeowner” with threatening statements on the front but i return them as “not known at this address”.

By returning the letters (if you actually do) you are just making it more inconvenient for yourself.

Why not just throw them straight in the recycling with all the other junk mail.

(Unless you secretly enjoy the whole process obviously)

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Rachel Burden, iplayer say no more !

2tyred

What if Radio 4 did a play based around the life of a sausage in a school canteen?

😀

One of the dinner ladies would be Eastern European.

There’s an Eastern European female character in every R4 play, I reckon its in the BBC constitution.

I think the BBC is amazing in a great many areas, and a total bargain into the, er, bargain. An institution of that size providing something as entirely subjective as culture cannot please everyone, and is bound to make mistakes, but the idea of a BBC-less future is not a pleasant one at all.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

We have a ‘big monitor’ plugged into the PC. Live in a listed property that needed planning permission for a TV aerial, so never actually bothered.

We watch stuff on iPlayer rarely, but never live, as we’re too busy in general & dabble occasionally with Netflix etc.

Had letters for the last 6 years of varying different tones, but that’s all. I’ll continue to ignore them.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

wordnumb – Member

Top Gear doesn’t pay for itself you know.

I wish it did. It’s garbage these days. The licence payer foots the bill for 3 old men to fulfill boyhood fantasies of ever increasing ridiculuosness while they spout contrived jokes, and bank fat cheques for the priviledge.

bails

Isn’t Top Gear one of the shows that sells so well abroad that it makes a profit for the BBC, thus lowering the price of the TV Licence?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 132 total)

The topic ‘Not paying your TV Licence’ is closed to new replies.