• This topic has 151 replies, 59 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Aidy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)
  • Not paying the TV Licence fee.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

Basically when my TV licence is due for renewal next year, I’m not going to pay it. My Wife and I don’t watch TV. We have a TV but it’s only ever on late in the evenings during the winter months and then it’s either a DVD or something from LoveFilm streaming.

So, my plan is to disconnect the aerial, pack away the aerial in the attic space so the TV can’t pick up a signal and simply use it with the DVD player/PS3. We only have one TV in the house.

So, my question is when the TV licensing people come knocking (I assume they eventually will) who is the burden of proof on? Me to prove I am not receiving a TV signal or them to prove that I am? Should I be scared? Will I die?

I’m legitimately not gong to be watching TV, so it’s not just a case of me not wanting to pay up.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

From experience from friends nothing happens. One guy I know hasnt had a TV license for about 5 years, just goes round in a loop of red letters, warning letters, then back to the standard letter. So far no other action has been taken.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The burden of proof is on them, you aren’t obliged to let them in but if you do and can demonstrate you don’t need a licence they will stop hassling you (for a while).

wombat

AIUI the license is for the posession of equipment capable of receiving a TV signal so even if your TV is disconnected and in a box in the loft you still have to have a license for it.

IIRC The only way round paying the license (legitimately) would be to dispose of your TV and replace it with a monitor (without a tuner) and watch DVDs on that.

kimbers

do you listen to the radio, use iplayer?

scratch
    Free Member

The website allows for this no?
    You just tick using it for games / dvd’s?

alfabus
    Free Member

both things which don’t require a license.

scratch
    Free Member

It’s not required for i-player unless your watching live, and it’s a TV license not a radio license, I don’t have one for my car?

tracknicko
    Free Member

AIUI the license is for the posession of equipment capable of receiving a TV signal so even if your TV is disconnected and in a box in the loft you still have to have a license for it.

doubt it. it’s a viewing license not an equipment license.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

That’s not true.
    From the TV Licensing website:

You don’t need a licence if you don’t use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they’re being shown on TV – for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD.

What I wanted to know was who has to prove what to who and how forcecful are these inspectors?

xiphon
    Free Member

I don’t have a TV license.

I wrote to the TV Licensing people, inviting them to come round and inspect – but only if:

1. I received 2 weeks written warning of their intention to visit – for security.
    2. The name and badge number of their inspector – for security.
    3. The inspector visited at a weekend – as it would be unreasonable to expect me to take annual leave for them.

I also stated that if an inspector randomly knocked on the door (and I happened to be in), they would be shown the letter and refused entry.

Sent recorded delivery to their address (and I have printed of the tracking code webpage showing as delivered).

That was 12 months ago – not heard one thing from them (no letters, no visits, nothing).

Seemed far less hassle than just ignoring them.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Let me google that for you;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_licensing_in_the_United_Kingdom

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/

You could even contact them and ask;

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/contact-us/index.aspx

Already done all of that thank you kindly Wiziwig. I just wanted some advice on how much hassle you get from these people.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I don’t have a TV license.

I wrote to the TV Licensing people, inviting them to come round and inspect – but only if:

1. I received 2 weeks written warning of their intention to visit – for security.
    2. The name and badge number of their inspector – for security.
    3. The inspector visited at a weekend – as it would be unreasonable to expect me to take annual leave for them.

Sent recorded delivery to their address (and I have printed of the tracking code webpage showing as delivered).

That was 12 months ago – not heard one thing from them (no letters, no visits, nothing).

Seemed far less hassle than just ignoring them.

Excellent. Doesn’t sound like much to worry about then as along as you are forthcoming with the information.

woody74

I would not be an A hole about it and not let them in if they turn up. They will just come back with the Police. My understanding is that they just look at the database of houses with out a licence and then come a knocking. Why not just write to them and tell them what you are doing and that you will have no way of receiving live TV and say they can pop around to check at any time. Clearly state that if you do not receive a reply in 14 days then you will proceed with your plan. Its then on them to explain the legal position. Pack away the arial and see what happens. The problem you have is if you watch live tv through the iPlayer. When we got caught years ago when I was a student they just said go and get a licence, send us the details, we will check at our end and if it all matches up then we will call is quits. Not really in their interest to prosecute.

wwaswas

Already done all of that

and the answer was?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They will just come back with the Police.

Doubt it. It’s not a criminal matter is it? Like riding a bike on a footpath, the cops won’t be interested.

xiphon
    Free Member

We have a sky dish on our house (it’s a rented property) and a TV in full view of the front window.

Just looking at our house, you’d think we’d need a license.

Don’t worry about the Police kicking your door down – it’s a civil matter, not criminal.

If an inspector turns up, just be polite and nice to them explaining you don’t need one.

tracknicko
    Free Member

PP +1

Police isn’t their style.

more likely to get threatening letters changing colour to indicate how serious they are!

wwaswas

It’s not a criminal matter is it?

It’s a tax so evasion is a criminal offence. Whether they’d bother to get police around os another matter.

traildog
    Free Member

Why not get ride of the TV all together and use a monitor or projector instead?

LHS
    Free Member

haven’t paid for a TV license since i’ve lived in the uk. Don’t watch BBC, only Sky channels so not paying for the crap TV i don’t watch.

Such an odd concept having no choice of what you pay for!

xiphon
    Free Member

It’s not a tax evasion, it’s a fee to a business.

EDIT: According to Wiki, it is a tax. I stand corrected.

compositepro
    Free Member

What I wanted to know was who has to prove what to who and how forcecful are these inspectors?

About as forcefull as ??

They are a private company using wording on letters to cause distress
    I have a pile of letters from them each one more intimidating than the last threatening legal court etc …criminal conviction

ER innocent till proven guilty Im sure!!! but then these are the same halfwits that took a blind man in hull to court despite overlooking the watching bit even after it was pointed out in front of the beak that if your blind its very difficult to actually watch a great deal they still carried on trying to get the poor sod

depends if you like to settle things with the minimum of fuss or just really wind them up last visitor I had to my door actually got a cuppa out of it and asked to inspect my setup, could he **** get a picture on it and noted on his little pad living in area with no tv reception

didnt stop them continuing to send harrasing letter to the same address

ignore them or charge them for your time everytime you have to respond to their toothless waste of paper

kimbers

alfabus – Member

both things which don’t require a license.

afaic its just a tax to fund the bbc

which is fine because its got some good stuff going on; tv, radio, internet

cant see why people would begrudge it tbh

jota180
    Free Member

Watching live TV without a licence IS a criminal offence
    Doubt the police would be interested though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kimbers, +1

I’d happily pay it for Radio 4 alone! Especially now Bleak Expectations is back! Harrumble!

Add in to that Radio 3, 5LSX, the news, the website, the sport, etc, etc, etc.

LHS
    Free Member

cant see why people would begrudge it tbh

If your licence fee went to the shopping channel or Dave or yesterday, to fund them, would you be happy?

You shouldn’t be forced to pay a tax for something you have no intention of watching.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

My mum hasn’t had a TV for years, and for a couple of years the licensing people would regularly get in touch and I think came round a couple of times- whether this was with previous arrangement or not I don’t know. They did eventually get the message though and she’s not heard from them for a few years now.

tracknicko
    Free Member

You shouldn’t be forced to pay a tax for something you have no intention of watching.

but there’s no segregation. your argument is akin to not paying vehicle exise duty because you only drive round b roads, and dont like motorways.

wwaswas

You shouldn’t be forced to pay a tax for something you have no intention of watching

Possibly, but anyone who consumes content from the BBC websites, iplayer or listens to any of the radio output has a moral obligation not to freeload off the rest of the population who pay a fee to do so.

LHS
    Free Member

but there’s no segregation

so then there should be.

your argument is akin to not paying vehicle exise duty because you only drive round b roads, and dont like motorways

Not really, you pay VED for using all public roads.

jota180
    Free Member

I don’t use the local library, I think I’ll make a deduction from my council tax payment

davidjey
    Free Member

We haven’t owned a telly for four years.

For the first 12 months tried to play along with the shouty letters and notify the TV Licensing Agency that we didn’t have a TV. After three months (as the lady on the phone admitted!), they ‘reset’ things and just start chasing you again.

We’ve had an inspector round once in four years. My gf invited him in to check we didn’t have a TV, he declined (!). Even after that, the whole cycle of letters started up again after a few months.

My advice is therefore just ignore everything they send you.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I wrote to the Beeb and their licensing people telling them I wouldn’t be watching TV any more (and why) back in January. I put the TV away, it was too expensive just to bin it. I haven’t heard from anyone since. I guess a lot more people are doing the same.

You can look at iplayer and the others after 24 hours, but there’s really not much I chose to watch.

Part of this attitude comes from having been slightly involved with a BBC programme, and seeing how it was shifted downmarket and distant from reality. Part comes from a dislike of silly money paid to people like Mr Clarkson.

v8ninety

You know, I dont think that TV licensing authorities do themselves any real favours with the tone of their letters, but when I see some of the attitudes on this thread I understand why.

No, you dont need a licence for watching iPlayer or listening to BBC radio; well done you clever person for getting one over on us people who think that its actually the right thing to do. I bet you get a kick every time you dont let a fellow motorist filter in a queue, as well. Admit it, you are that person who refuses to make eye contact but has a smug little grin, aren’t you?

I second that Radio 4 is worth it alone, as well as not having to sit through endless commercials on TV. Ever watched American TV?

zippykona

Pay your licence. Its a fraction of the cost of a sky package.You get stuff that the commercial channels would never show and the only decent radio there is.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I second that Radio 4 is worth it alone, as well as not having to sit through endless commercials on TV. Ever watched American TV?

I must admit to using my VPN when I’m in the US, almost entirely to get R4!

irc

Watching live TV without a licence IS a criminal offence
    Doubt the police would be interested though

The police don’t have to be interested. The police are not the only organisation that can report people for criminal offences.

Anyone convicted of watching TV without a licence is fined. If the fine isn’t paid they risk imprisonment.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/courts-jail-845-for-not-paying-tv-licence-fines-1428836.html

That said I would think it is a very difficult crime to prove unless you let them into your home or make any admissions to them.

rwc03
    Free Member

Pay your licence. Its a fraction of the cost of a sky package.You get stuff that the commercial channels would never show and the only decent radio there is.

Agree entirely

BBC Olympic coverage online and on TV was worth the license fee alone this year

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 152 total)

The topic ‘Not paying the TV Licence fee.’ is closed to new replies.