Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Not paying in a restaurant
  • Zukemonster
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody can clear up where I stand? Or maybe this is just a rant!!!!

Had a 'nice' meal tonight with Mrs Zukemonster that was completely spoilt by a group of guys swearing loudly at the table next to us through out our meal (I know I should MTFU, but its hard to be have a nice chat with some drunk gits sitting behind you)

I made a small complaint at the end of the meal which seemed to escalate with them basically telling me it was my fault and that they were only there to "give us food and take our money" This wasn't a cheap meal by any means and was in quite a posh Curry place (if you can imagine such a thing!)

I offered to pay half, they refused and then they called the police when I left and stood at the doorstep. I spoke to the police on their phone who said it was a civil matter, and nothing to do with them, but I should just leave my address and let the restaurant sort it out via a civil claim, where I could make my case. Restaurant refused to take my address so that my leaving would be criminal (in their words). I ended up waving down a police car that happened to be passing and getting their support in leaving (threatening restaurant staff following us)

I can't believe that a little minor incident could be escalated so badly by the staff basically being rude to us (previously quite regular customers). The other customers left there, were all very supportive and on our side, offering to be witnesses (accused of being criminal accomplices by the staff….) I know if I ran a restaurant that's not what would happen, sort of can't believe anybody could think that way.

Anyhow rant over!!

saleem
    Free Member

so did you pay anything in the end??

cb

did you ask to move tables?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody can clear up where I stand?

Pretty much what you were told by the police – it is a civil dispute.

Had you just got up and legged it then it would be criminal, and if you refused to give your name and address it wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that you might just be trying to evade paying.

Where you stand is that you offered to provide your name and address and they refused it, that's their problem, not that they'd bother suing you anyway.

MSP

Do you think that the staff would have had any better a time than you with the drunken louts? and then you really make their night by refusing to pay full price for the meal, just because the police didn't want to get involved and allowed you to leave doesn't make you any less of a prick.

{This post earned him a two day ban – Mod}

LHS
    Free Member

You did exactly the right thing and what the police told you was correct.

I have paid what I thought a meal was worth rather than the full price about 5 or 6 times over the last 10 years or so. If the food is shit then i will tell them so and leave what i think it is worth along with my name and address. Never been followed up on once.

MSP

Zukemonster – Member

Had a 'nice' meal tonight

basicly he didn't like the other customers, nothing to do with the meal.

Coyote
    Free Member

Do you think that the staff would have had any better a time than you with the drunken louts? and then you really make their night by refusing to pay full price for the meal, just because the police didn't want to get involved and allowed you to leave doesn't make you any less of a prick.

Nice.

Restaurants problem to control customers. Customer is paying for goods, service and surroundings. If any don't come up to scratch then the customer is perfectly within their rights to dispute it.

johnners
    Free Member

You should have left as soon as it became clear the other table was going to spoil your meal, not after you finished eating it. I think that undermines your case for witholding payment somewhat.

LHS
    Free Member

Have to say, if it was solely down to the table next to you spoiling your meal then i would have been asked to move or asked the waiters to sort the other table out. If they then did nothing then you have more of a case for not paying.

Jamie
    Free Member

I'm guessing MSP works in a restaurant.

nbt

johnners – Member

You should have left as soon as it became clear the other table was going to spoil your meal, not after you finished eating it. I think that undermines your case for witholding payment somewhat.

If I'm hungry, I'll finish my meal first.

myheadsashed

If they don't have your name and address what's the problem?
    I agree with Coyote wholly you didn't get what you paid for.
    MSP typical British attitude the staff should have sort out the louts or rather they wouldn't because they were probably spending a fortune on booze and could probably wangled a big tip out of a bunch of drunks. The other customers are part of your surroundings….

You should have asked for a different table though and any sane person wouldn't have sat next to those guys in the first place if it was just you and the missus.

MSP

You guess wrong, loadmouths at another table is not the establishments fault, if you heared some bad lanuguage in Asda would you demand to pay half price at the checkout. **** grow up. You just looked for an excuse to rob a small business who was probably suffering more from the drunken antics than you were.
    I did work as a waiter for a while while at uni, and two things made life hell, loudmouth drunken yobs and pretentious middle class pricks.

LHS
    Free Member

loadmouths at another table is not the establishments fault

maybe, but your enjoyment of your meal is their responsibility.

I think the mistake the OP made was not to ask to move tables or for the restaurant to tell the yobs to STFU.

MSP

How often has anyone gone over to a bunch of drunken yobs abd told them to shut up? How successful do you think that course of action would be? Do you think waiters are invincible and don’t feel pain?

LHS
    Free Member

How often has anyone gone over to a bunch of drunken yobs abd told them to shut up?

Every single day.

What the hells wrong with you? Glad i wasn't been waited on by you, you would have been REALLY helpful. 🙄

Jamie
    Free Member

sparkster71
    Free Member

Agree with thegreatape on this one – its totally civil, no criminal offences to speak of unless you did one from the restaurant without disputing the bill, or taking steps to sort out payment. Its up to the restaurant to sort out their guests, but are they likely to do that when the noisy ones are spending stacks of cash on ale. Ordinarily, Police are called to a 'rowdy group' or 'refusal to leave' and that gets a bit noisy too…

At the end of the day, the restaurant are the losers, as they will probably not get repeat custom from yourselves and possibly others. As a consumer, you shouldn't have to put up with behaviour like that in a restaurant, and this can be reflected in the price you pay at the end…

hora
    Free Member

The only time I'd refuse to pay for a meal would be if the food was cold/bad. At that moment I would make the staff aware of this discreetly.

Not at the end. Sorry, for many reasons you are not giving the business a chance to rectify/cancel off the bill or amend. It comes across as you are trying it on.

At my favourite Chinese I have brought up a dish once in a while and said it wasnt right (taken away and cancelled off the bill).

Plus- people swearing next to you- if it bothered you that much, why didn't you say something to them yourself?

Its a curry place. In the majority of them you can get loud/brash customers.

MSP

LHS – Member

How often has anyone gone over to a bunch of drunken yobs abd told them to shut up?

Every single day.

Unless you a copper, BULLSHIT!!!

freddyg
    Free Member

When you said you had a quiet word with the staff, what was it with reference to? Negotiating a discount or encouraging them to sort this kind of thing in the future?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

OP should have complained during his meal, not at the end. Given the restaurant a chance to do something about, in much the same way as you should if a meal came out cold…..

….meals always taste better after spin in the microwave and a spattering of chef spit.

LHS
    Free Member

MSP, do you just go through life cowering away and being shat on from every direction?

Good luck with that! 😯

LHS
    Free Member

Not at the end. Sorry, for many reasons you are not giving the business a chance to rectify/cancel off the bill or amend. It comes across as you are trying it on.

think i agree with Hora on this one, unless you asked to be moved or complained about the swearing.

myheadsashed

MSP unfortunately that's life in a restaurant been there done that, thankfully many many years ago.

You don't go to Asda for romantic shopping experience though do you unless your abit weird 😳

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

MSP you seem like the epitome of internet user cowering behind the anonymity of the forum, are you scared of the outside world?

MSP

LHS your full of shit,

hora
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti, nevermind all this just sell me your VRS 8)

hora
    Free Member

If you approach/word it right you actually get given extra stuff.

Its all about being able to see all angles in life 😀

myheadsashed

MSPs last customer – it had to be posted. 😆

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

2002, 51 plate, 91,500 miles, slight damage to the underside of the front bumper… talk to me, what are you offering, how many camels, talk to me…

MSP

Yeah so many people claim they would confront troublemakers on the internet, yet it never happens in the real world, it looks like everyone else is hiding behindf their internet hardmen personas.

hora
    Free Member

2002, 51 plate, 91,500 miles, slight damage to the underside of the front bumper… talk to me, what are you offering, how many camels, talk to me…

You've had it since new (which is good). How many stamps, belt (and the pump) done yet?

So far its just the wheel bearing?

ollie
    Free Member

doesn't make you any less of a prick.

oudmouth drunken yobs and pretentious middle class pricks.

Unless you a copper, BULLSHIT!!!

Is all this shouting and swearing really necessary, Your spoiling my morning browse on stw. I think that premier account I was thinking about should be half price because of this. 😉

Drac

Yup complaining at the time of the problem is the answer not at the end. Done it with wrong orders, slow service, poor or cold meals. Usual out come is starters for free or drinks bill wiped.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Not quite since new, it was owned by Skoda for a few k. Have kept up to date with all services, couple not with skoda, but that just meant it was done every 12k rather than 17k for a couple of years. Had some pipes replace last skoda service 2 months ago, wait a minute… It's not for sale!

Jamie
    Free Member

You don't go to Asda for romantic shopping experience though do you unless your abit weird

Dammit!

*cancels date near the frozen chicken aisle*

LHS
    Free Member

MSP,

MTFU. You might actually start to enjoy life rather than live in fear.

If you were in a restaurant with your Mum/Dad/Gran/GF/BF and some tool next to you was swearing

e.g. "….f***ing this, and f***ing that, and he was a right c***".

You would just sit there and smile politely?

Jeez. 🙄

PiknMix
    Free Member

Drunken noisy people in a curry house!!!!! what is the world coming to.

I cant remember the last time I went to a curry place and had a quiet meal (even the posh ones)

It seem like you have got away with paying so regardless of weather its right or wrong take your free meal and never go back there again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Not paying in a restaurant’ is closed to new replies.