Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Not Paying Back Student Loans After Emigrating?
  • walleater

Soooo…..firstly I earn under the set amount whereby I HAVE to pay the loans back anyway (going back to around 1993), but I am so fed up of having to find my pay slips, send off deferment forms, deal with lost post etc every year. I live in Canada now so…..what can Student Loans Company actually do? Send me a few angry letters? Can they try and get a CCJ against me when I don’t live in Britain? I’ve not lived in the UK since 2007 and never intend living there again. The bank account that I had linked with them closed 10 years ago.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah that’s right, you just skip off and ignore the debt that we paid for in our taxes, we don’t mind.

Take take take.

Grow some and cough up.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

They stopped writing to my wife shortly after she paid off the last installment of her loan. Strange that.

br
    Free Member

PP – but he says he’s never earned enough to pay back, so not really.

Have you thought of actually asking them?

walleater

I guess I could ask them! And yes, I don’t qualify to pay it back anyway.

mrmo
    Free Member

similar boat, pisses me off to have to apply for a deferment each year just to see the debt ballooning, not helped that inflation and wage rises are no where near each other, they do right it off after 25years, so the way things are going i will never have to pay it back.

mind you i cancelled the direct debit when they choose to ignore my deferment application. According to the T&Cs I was in the right they just chose to steal my money.

They occasionally write to me saying i am in breach for not having a DD in place, i just choose to ignore and keep sending in my deferment each year.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

How do you get a degree, and then not earn enough to pay the fees back??

I thought the whole point of getting a degree meant you should be earning more than those of us who never got one?

😐

mrmo
    Free Member

quite simple really,

Briefly,

most jobs pay less than the average salary, most jobs outside london pay far less than the average, if you earn less than average you don’t pay it back.

I thought the whole point of getting a degree meant you should be earning more than those of us who never got one?

Depends on why you do a degree i guess, a job or for knowledge, whether you decide the degree leads to a job you don’t actually want etc.

I should point out the government changed the rules, i suspect they realised how many were never going to pay back hence they changed the earnings threshold to c£15k, rather than mine which is c£26k.

CHB

teeto +1

thejesmonddingo

i bet he studied one of those mickey m ouse subjects,like science or engineering.

magowen100
    Free Member

I may be mis-quoting but IIRC the average graduate earns 100k extra over thier working life than the non graduate. So if you factor in that the working life is at least 3 years less (so call it 45-60k for those three years) its actually pretty easy for the degree not to make a lot of difference.

Ewan
    Free Member

I have no idea what will happen, but as a counter some of the points made above I will say that even as a (substantial) tax payer, it wouldn’t bother me if you defaulted on it.

Education should be free.

mrmo
    Free Member
    walleater

I got close to having to pay back (mine is set to around 26K income IIRC, not 15 or whatever it is now) when doing a boring office job in the UK, but now working in the bike industry there’s not a hope in hells chance of paying it back ha ha.

So it would appear that the loans will get written off in between 5 and 7 years time anyway. I just don’t know if as under the Consumer Credit Act, whether I could get a CCJ as I now longer reside in the UK? I could of course just get off my ass and send the damn forms off for the 18th time….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I got a smallish loan when they started the scheme, for my final year. It was three years post graduation that I earned enough to start paying. The interest rate is very low so I took the full seven years to pay it off. But I paid it. Although she talked about doing it from time-to-time, my Mrs never earned enough at any point in her life to warrant paying off hers.

@OP: it’s an unethical question don’t you think? it’s a matter of conscience that if you feel you can repay it at some point, than perhaps you should.

walleater

@OP: it’s an unethical question don’t you think? it’s a matter of conscience that if you feel you can repay it at some point, than perhaps you should

Not really to be honest. As per the terms and conditions, it will be written off anyway. My senior tutor was an alcoholic (came into lectures drunk many a time…) and the course was largely a waste of time. With hindsight, I wish I’d just left 6th Form and got a job. Student Loans also started the year I went to uni so everyone before me got a free ride anyway. My conscience is pretty clean to be honest.

sobriety
    Free Member

The people I know who’ve gone abroad (and have no intention of coming back) have all stopped paying. I pay mine because I’m still working in the UK.

I too have no problem with those who stop paying, as above, education should be free.

donsimon
    Free Member

I went to the student loan demo, say no more.

bruneep

say no more!!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

bruneep – Member

[video]http://youtu.be/jT3_UCm1A5I[/video]
    Posted 6 seconds ago # Report-Post

Educational standards have deifinitely been slipping since the introduction of…

bruneep

😉

donsimon
    Free Member

😆

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – but he says he’s never earned enough to pay back, so not really.

Don’t give a toss. It’s a loan. Save up and pay it back like the rest of us do. Chances are most of it was pissed up the wall anyway.

Personally I’d be more likely to have some sympathy if he was paying some tax in the UK. But he’s not so I haven’t.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!

oh where to begin…

walleater

I paid tax in the UK since around 1989 and also paid into the national pension scheme that I will never see a penny of. Seeing that my loans only equal around 3k, the UK Govt probably owe me money if we are going to be pedantic 😉

Oh and re. pissing it up the wall, partly but I also worked all the way through my post 16 education. Daddy didn’t drive an Audi etc…..

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t give a toss. It’s a loan. Save up and pay it back like the rest of us do. Chances are most of it was pissed up the wall anyway.

He signs a contract, abides by the contract and you’re pissed off, why?

mrmo
    Free Member

Don’t give a toss. It’s a loan. Save up and pay it back like the rest of us do

It may be called a loan but it isn’t a really a loan, you don’t have to declare it, it isn’t on your credit file. etc. There are quite specific rules about when it has to be paid, you have to be earning c£26k before you start paying. If you want to pay tax at 50% just to feel good feel free, personally i pay what i am meant to pay.

Personally I’d be more likely to have some sympathy if he was paying some tax in the UK. But he’s not so I haven’t.

what is the current UK unemployment rate? how many vacancies, how many jobs? would you rather pay benefits or have people working over seas?

Does the UK pay the Philippines government compensation for all the nursing staff we poach?

Globalisation for you.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Teetosugars – Member

unklehomered – Member

oh where to begin…

well, in my case:

thejesmonddingo – Member

i bet he studied one of those mickey m ouse subjects,like science or engineering.

pretty much covers it.

Sandwich

Plus one

mudshark
    Free Member

Well maybe not everyone who gets a degree is worth as much as they’d like to think to employers? 🙂 Lots of graduates means lower salaries to the less capable as loads to choose from; back in the times when going to Uni was for the bright salaries were much better – and the country could afford to pay for their education. Blair did this.

CHB

Agree: education should be free and based on ability, not wealth.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

education should be free.

But it isn’t.

Personally I’d be more likely to have some sympathy if he was paying some tax in the UK. But he’s not so I haven’t

This, +1

Taff
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter if you have a degree and pay over the threshold. You don’t always pay back a massive amount. My mrs earns under 20k and pays off £1 over the interest. I have several mates who have left the country and don’t intend paying it back.

convert

education should be free.

To be fair – if this was circa 1993 – the education was free, the loan was to help cover subsistence for those that didn’t work enough to earn the cash for themselves.

I got a grant and then worked some stupid hours in term time jobs and in the holidays and never took up the loans – looking back on it I’m not quite sure how I managed it alongside the course and training. I wish I had that much energy now.

Kids these days have is so much harder – can’t imagine leaving uni with that much debt 😥

ahwiles
    Free Member

Kids these days have is so much harder easier – the monthly repayments are tiny

mrmo
    Free Member

I got a grant and then worked some stupid hours in term time jobs and in the holidays and never took up the loans – looking back on it I’m not quite sure how I managed it alongside the course and training. I wish I had that much energy now.

I guess it depends on the person, the workload etc. I was doing best part of 40hour weeks, lectures and labs, plus reading essays etc. Worked holidays though.

Mind you a friend graduated a couple of years ago, foreign student so no financial assistance from government or family and higher fees than domestic students. She got a first in accountancy, worked 40-50hours a week doing 3 part time jobs on top of the degree with its lectures, essays etc.

How i haven’t a clue!!!!

walleater

IIRC the grants were slashed from previous years / generations and the loans were a top up mainly for people who didn’t get a nice cheque from mummy and daddy every few weeks 😉 I spent many an hour sitting in a car park kiosk surrounded by the smell of p!*s due to an incontinent old guy also working there, when ideally I could have been studying. Those were the days ha ha….

convert

I guess it depends on the person, the workload etc. I was doing best part of 40hour weeks, lectures and labs, plus reading essays etc. Worked holidays though.

I think to be honest it was how much day time telly you were prepared to miss and how many nights you HAD to go out! I was lucky in that I was a handful of years older when I went to uni and had done some fairly serious partying so that side was not massive for me (and I was at Loughborough so no great shakes anyway!). The course was fairly full on though (and I got a first) and I was just breaking into the national triathlon scene so the training was pretty mental – just somehow managed to find time for 20hr pw paid work too plus the holidays and kept a tight reign on the cashflow. I think my grant was £1.5K pa – so I guess that must have been the accom covered just about.

mrmo
    Free Member

I seem to remember my grant covered hall fees in the first year, nothing else, no books, nothing! grant spent on day one loan applied for on day 2.

I also know some who took the loan out invested it and then paid it back on graduation, the advantages of having parents funding you.

Edric64
    Free Member

Well worth getting a degree if you are still earning sod all after all thia time then

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Not Paying Back Student Loans After Emigrating?’ is closed to new replies.