Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Not looking forward to the commute home…
  • piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

yep

greenbikerider
    Free Member

After a tough day, I really hate commuting home on a nice bike, only to then cross paths with some smug envious youngster who blurts out “Eer mate, ‘ow much did that thing costya then?”

Answer too low a price, you will be branded a cheapskate!
    Answer too high a price, you will be branded an upperty bike snob!
    Fail to answer at all, you might be branded ‘rude’!

The joys of cycling home from a hard days work earning a modest wage…
    Tusk! :o)

GBR.

greenbikerider
    Free Member

I often cycle commute, using trains (in South West England).
    As a cyclist who has used trains in every european nation except three in eastern europe, I’m sorry to say that our British trains are almost THE worst for cyclists in europe!! I think the UK government has a real nerve to suggest that it is backing the needs of british commuting cyclists, who often need to take bikes on trains. And it would be so easy for most trains to provide one whole bike coach to carry say 30 or 40 bikes, like they used to in the old days before privatisation. There’s plenty of old disused rolling stock still in good condition up to the job! Sorry to moan here, but I know ALOT of local people who would all commute with bikes on trains, encouraging more everyday cycling, if only facilities were much much better with more space.

British commuting cyclists deserve better!!

(this has been a non-political broadcast for the sick-of-suffering-like-sardines-commuting-cyclists-of-bristol-party!!)

edhornby

Mudguards, fresh socks and plastic bags if your shoes are soaked and you can’t get them dry, spare pair of aldi gloves for the home journey, cycling cap can go under the helmet to keep the dazzle away and keeps rain out of your eyes. Waterproof gilet can go in rear pocket really useful things

garage-dweller

GBR +1

The guards around here are quite tolerant of overloading with bikes but I see were probably one torn stocking from a hard line approach from the train operators

jeffl

Well due to work moving I now have a the joy of either driving into sheffield each day or walking to the train station and getting in the train. Prior to this I was commuting by bike 3 days a week. I’m REALLY missing the cycling and am turning into a grumpy old sod 🙁

HansRey

jeffl, there are some nice routes into Sheffield. Where are you departing from, and where in Sheff do you work?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Lovely ride home last night, a few foggy patches on the moor but nothing major.

And another nice ride in this morning.

What he said, there really isn’t a need for 1200 lumens of bunny toaster pointing straight ahead on a single lane cycle path

There is if the cycle path is pitch dark, but its easy enough to put your hand over a bright light if someone’s approaching.

People with flashing lights on a segregated cycle path is more annoying.

gonzy
    Free Member

my commutes are pretty uneventful which is how i like them
    2 lighta on the back of the bike and an extra one on the camelbak in addition to some reflective bands hanging off it
    one flashing light on the helmet and a 1200 lumen light on the bars i also have spoke reflectors to avoid SMIDSYism
    if i get soaked on the way in i can dry the stuff out on the radiators in the office and the shower room so its not too bad
    its the same for me though that some of my colleagues think i’m mad for tackling the manchester city centre traffic in the dark
    they always ask me why dont you just drive in? erm cos my wife needs the car for the school run
    then why dont you get on a bus? erm cos it takes over an hour to get in and to go home
    7 mile journey coming in with the car takes 45 minutes and up to an hour on the return trip
    on the bus it takes 70 minutes coming in and longer going home
    on the bike it takes 25 minutes coming in and 30 minutes going back

i wouldnt have it any other way….even when its lashing it down and the wind is hurricanesque…
    the cold doesnt bother me that much either…i just peddle a bit harder to warm myself up

though if it does eventually snow this winter….it should be interesting!!

Pz_Steve

I’m very lucky with my commute. 13 miles along rural back-roads , or 15 if I fancy the coast road (and avoiding the one deeply unpleasant climb on a loaded bike). Thing is it’s relaxing to drive, too, so when the weather is a bit iffy there’s less incentive to ride.

Last night was lovely round here. About 5c and really starry. The alarm at work malfunctioned when I tried to set it, which meant that I spent an extra hour at work waiting for the engineer to dial in and sort it out.

I was a bit grumpy after a long day, but it meant that there was practically no traffic by the time I left and I was bouncing round like an endorphin-fueled Tigger when I got home!

This is why I don’t mind the low pay and lack of shops and transport links round here!

trail_rat
    Free Member

“There is if the cycle path is pitch dark”

and your touting for some of wembleys business

Mister-P
    Free Member

I don’t understand how people can ride with a single high power front light on flash mode on dark country lanes. I can see that having one to supplement a normal light is advantageous as they do get you noticed. But I think the flashing in front of me for anymore than a few seconds would drive my eyes bonkers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I have a friend who does his commute the opposite way to me, we see each other once or twice a week. He has a dim light on his head on flash mode for 12 miles across the moor, either that or no light at all on the front or back. He’s mental.

lemonysam
    Free Member

“There is if the cycle path is pitch dark”

Nope still don’t get it. I ride on pitch black cycle paths every day at the moment and turn down my 300 lumen torch because it seems antisocially bright – that’s also a much more focused beam than most mtb lights.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m sorry to say that our British trains are almost THE worst for cyclists in europe!!

Tried taking your bike on the TGV?

There is if the cycle path is pitch dark, but its easy enough to put your hand over a bright light if someone’s approaching.

The cycle path I use is pitch dark. There is no need for a light that bright, or anything like it. A “proper” B&M road light is perfectly adequate to see by, and doesn’t dazzle everyone coming the other way.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Nope still don’t get it.

That’s fine, I’m not bothered.

There is no need for a light that bright,

Did I say how bright my light is? Its quite possible some people are jumping to conclusions.

lemonysam
    Free Member

That’s fine, I’m not bothered.

I’m not that bothered by driving round with my full beams on to be honest, this dipping malarkey seems pointless when they could just look somewhere else.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Back on it today. Cold & Dry. Lovely!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’m not that bothered by driving round with my full beams on to be honest, this dipping malarkey seems pointless when they could just look somewhere else.

Yeh because that’s exactly the same thing isn’t it 🙄

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yeh because that’s exactly the same thing isn’t it

Yeah, pretty much.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Why don’t you compare the amount of lumens and beam position from a car headlamp with the lumens and beam position from the light on my bars.

Oh hold on you can’t because the only facts you have are that I like to be able to see. Crack on with your assumptions if it makes you happy though.

teamslug
    Free Member

Wimped out last night cos it was horrible but gonna have to get a grip and do it tonight even though so far its not much better. Wish I’d fetched MTB though cos roads look horrible. solastorm front light, Flashing LED x2 on helmet. 2 x Flashing LED on back of bike 2 x white flashing LED on end of drops facing outwards. Takes me 5 minutes to power down when I get home!!!

MoreCashThanDash

First cycle commute of the week into my office in Nottingham.

Tuesday it took me 3.5 hours to drive 55 miles into the Birmingham office. 12 miles in the drizzle and dark this morning, dodging impatient drivers and suicidal bunnies was absolute bliss!

molgrips
    Free Member

Why don’t you compare the amount of lumens and beam position from a car headlamp with the lumens and beam position from the light on my bars.

Because, from lots of experience, super bright MTB lights are more dazzling than car lights…? So the numbers are not relevant?

Gary_M
    Free Member

You’re missing the point. As lemonysam doesn’t know what kind of lights I have, he’s just jumping to conclusions.

ransos
    Free Member

1. Bike lights (with very few exceptions) are not dipped.
    2. You do not need 1200 lumens to see your way down an unlit cycle path.

Next!

Gary_M
    Free Member

You do not need 1200 lumens to see your way down an unlit cycle path.

But its nice to have that as an option. Its also nice to ride at proper daylight speeds all year round rather than slowing down because you can’t see far enough into the distance.

ransos
    Free Member

But its nice to have that as an option. Its also nice to ride at proper daylight speeds all year round rather than slowing down because you can’t see far enough into the distance.

It’s not “nice” – it’s completely unnecessary, and in any case most of your lumens are completely wasted unless you use a proper road light. I have no trouble riding at speed at night (though on the road – doing so on cyclepaths is often a bit dumb), and I’ve done plenty of overnight centuries, so might just know a thing or two about it.

29erKeith
    Free Member

I can’t cycle for the moment on Dr’s orders, I seriously can’t wait to even start commuting, even in this weather.

I’ve just begrudgingly had to buy a second family car and I’m fed up of the traffic already (2 months now), the traffic getting out of town is mental! The first 3-4 miles of my 7mile commute takes twice as long as on my bike most days if I leave anywhere near 5, thankfully I’m on reduced hours at the moment.

You’ll never hear me whine about the cold wind of rain. MTFU 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

toby1

You do not need 1200 lumens to see your way down an unlit cycle path.

No I may not, that’s why I have my light on low and physically dip it when someone is cycling towards me.

It was dark, damp and misty on the way home last night, visibility was all of 50m at times, so then the light was useful, I still kept it on low though, I hope that’s ok with you. It’s a traffic free cycle path by the way, I just occasionally fall out with bus drivers on the busway who insist on driving along with full beams on despite being in a gulley with the steering done for them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s not “nice” – it’s completely unnecessary, and in any case most of your lumens are completely wasted unless you use a proper road light. I have no trouble riding at speed at night (though on the road – doing so on cyclepaths is often a bit dumb), and I’ve done plenty of overnight centuries, so might just know a thing or two about it.

You don’t know the cycle path I ride on so saying riding at speed is ‘often a bit dumb’ is pretty pointless, 12 miles of segregated path where I may see 1 other cyclist in winter, no one walking and few cars on the road. Well done on your centuries but I’ve ridden a 20 miles each way commute year round for the past 8 years so like you I also know a thing or two about it – I know what works and what doesn’t and have the right kit for my situation.

ransos
    Free Member

Well done on your centuries but I’ve ridden a 20 miles each way commute year round for the past 8 years so like you I also know a thing or two about it – I know what works and what doesn’t and have the right kit for my situation

No, you have over specified kit which presents an unnecessary hazard to other users of the path.

No I may not, that’s why I have my light on low and physically dip it when someone is cycling towards me

If you have it on low then it’s not 1200 lumens, is it? I do the same thing when riding back from the trail…

Gary_M
    Free Member

No, you have over specified kit which presents an unnecessary hazard to other users of the path.

Really, what am I using then? And do you mean the one other user who I see once or twice a week?

I do the same thing when riding back from the trail…

So you use an MTB light on the road? pot/kettle

Looking forward to my journey home from work tonight, how about you trail_rat?

ransos
    Free Member

Really, what am I using then?

1. You said there is a need for a 1200 lumen lamp if riding on an unlit path
    2. You said you ride on unlit paths.
    3. You said you have the right kit for your situation.

I conclude you use a light of at least 1200 lumens. Are there any bike lights that a) run at 1200 lumens and b) have a properly shaped road beam pattern?

So you use an MTB light on the road? pot/kettle

Set to 100 lumens. Please explain how that is “pot/ kettle”.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Set to 100 lumens. Please explain how that is “pot/ kettle”.

With all that light washing all over the road?

I conclude you use a light of at least 1200 lumens.

I do, but I didn’t say I ran it at 1200 lumens.

Are there any bike lights that a) run at 1200 lumens and b) have a properly shaped road beam pattern?

Dunno, but I’m not on the road.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My emergency backup light is 1200 lumens.
    My main is far more 😀

neilwheel
    Free Member

Working from home…………miss the extra miles. 😥

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Not looking forward to the commute home…’ is closed to new replies.