Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Not looking forward to the commute home…
  • Conan257
    Free Member

Not many windows at work, but had to nip outside… It appears that a nice mix of low temperature, rain and fog has set in…

Yay… At least it’s only a few miles.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Quit your jibber jabber…

stevied
    Free Member

Could be worse, you could spend your journey home looking at this:

trail_rat
    Free Member

or worse – that.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I can’t wait for my commute home, yes I will get soaking, yes I will get blinded by Mr million lumens at the same spot I do everyday, but I love my rides in and out of work.

gonzy
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAPXGuRIXsA[/video]

binners

Just go to the nearest pub, drink until you fall over/last orders (whichever comes first) then sleep under your desk

ton

your rain cannot harm me…………… 😀

lemonysam
    Free Member

Just go to the nearest pub, drink until you fall over/last orders (whichever comes first) then sleep under your desk ride home

PMK2060

I have had several colleagues comment that i must be dreading the ride home because of the weather. I do not mind rain (its heavy wind which make me leave the bike at home).

Pik n Mix – I know what you mean about excessive lighting. I had 4 riders together on the trans pennine trail yesterday and had to stop as i could not see. 3 of them had 2 lights and 1 had 3 lights.

doris5000

was so foggy on my way home the other night i had to slow right down going round the lake in case i just went straight into it 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

As long as it’s not biblical on the way in I don’t mind the commute. Putting damp kit back on for the journey home makes my heart sink.
    The folks at work think I am mad for cycling in in the cold and wet but it’s not that bad really.

g5604
    Free Member

Anything is better than sitting in a car/bus/train during rush hour.

simon_g

Proper roadie kit has been a revelation. Roubaix bibtights, windproof, neoprene gloves, overshoes and I’m quite happy.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The problem with the riders and their bright lights isn’t the lumens, it’s the fact they have them pointed straight out, parallel to the ground!.
    I like my commute, just long enough (14k) to feel it makes a difference to my fitness, but not so long as to be a trudge. Nice crisp day today, not much wind, I’ll be off in 10 minutes.

Although I do admit to struggling to motivate myself to go back out on MTB for a nightride after commuting back and forth that day, but I’m for out tonight.

hatter

As long as it’s not biblical on the way in I don’t mind the commute. Putting damp kit back on for the journey home makes my heart sink

Ditto, not a huge fan of commuting in the rain, more due to the lack of emergency braking traction and the drivers not being able to see as well but I tolerate riding home in the wet as you can then spend the evening warming up, getting soaked on the way in is miserable though.

user-removed
    Free Member

Sometimes, on days like today, I’m very glad to be working from home, sat in a comfy chair in the office, gazing out at the mizzle collecting in the corners of the window and the encroaching gloaming enfolding the trees and fields in its dusky embrace.

Got ****’ soaked out with the dog earlier though.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

dusky embrace

I’ve seen that film

scaled
    Free Member

Ride home, change, grab mountain bike, head to Marple.

The rain holds no sway over me 😀

torsoinalake
    Free Member

dusky embrace

I’ve seen that film😀

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looks alright in Glasgow, bit chilly though but thats fine. Bit of ice this morning though.

The problem with the riders and their bright lights isn’t the lumens, it’s the fact they have them pointed straight out, parallel to the ground!.

Or people looking at them rather than just averting your eyes slightly.

I like to be able to see a good distance in front of me you know the way car drivers can

grenosteve
    Free Member

A bit of rain and dark isn’t that bad really. The thought of it is much worse than actually riding in it.

Agree on wind though, that sucks!

bigyinn
    Free Member

When the weather is poor and its murky, Im more concerned about not being seen by the morons in their tin boxes.

rascal
    Free Member

There was a huge crash on the M1 last night between 21-22…about 30 mins after I’d gone through there as I do every other day 🙁

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Another one here about to put on damp kit for the return home and I too wouldn’t have it any other way.

I get the haters for bright lights too, if I’m ever in the car they’re a menace. Antisocial and more importantly bloody hard to judge distance or perspective to them possibly making the owner more likely to be involved in an accident.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I chickened out today, first time in months.

Mainly because I had a late night & the bike has seemingly acquired a flat tyre at some point between getting home & this morning.

Back on it tomorrow. The round trip is quicker by bike over car 🙂

lemonysam
    Free Member

The most annoying thing is that I had to get the train in yesterday when it was glorious and was riding today, on my usual day off the bike, when it was piddling down.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or people looking at them rather than just averting your eyes slightly.

I like to be able to see a good distance in front of me you know the way car drivers can

Which is fine on roads, as I’m the full width of the road away from them, but on the cycle track going through Troon, It’s about 4 feet wide, and can’t really avert my eyes tbh!.

garage-dweller

Nothing wrong with the train unless going in our out of London at peak time. Currently trundling along the south coast listening to alice in chains and posting on here. The route choices for a bike commute from home to work are very unappealing 17 miles of urban sprawl, endless traffic lights, minor junctions, schools, traffic punch points and exhaust fumes. Even on an empty road school holiday day its not an especially inviting option.

noltae
    Free Member

I commuted when I was banned from driving – thus I had no choice – as soon as I was driving again I have never once bothered – I hated it.. It was a 20 miles each way and I did it single speed .. The worst days were full on hurricanes and torrential rain and two punctures on one journey – blocks of ice for fingers – God knows how the puncture repair kit managed to glue in the rain . Horse throat too from all the swearing into the wind and rain … But God damn hot showers feel good when you get home !

rOcKeTdOg

Just been for a quick 10 miler after work, it’s drizzley, foggy but not cold (5 degrees) & I have a bad back, graceful on the bike but shuffling like an OAP off it. Just MTFU & ride

mickolas
    Free Member

Rule #9

lemonysam
    Free Member

Which is fine on roads, as I’m the full width of the road away from them, but on the cycle track going through Troon, It’s about 4 feet wide, and can’t really avert my eyes tbh!.

What he said, there really isn’t a need for 1200 lumens of bunny toaster pointing straight ahead on a single lane cycle path (or on the road IMO).

It was actually a pretty pleasant ride home apart from the little scrote in lemmington trying to steel the anti-motorbike bollards

monkeychild
    Free Member

You are joking right? It’s only about 10 pedal revolutions to your house 😉 MTFU princess 😛

10 mile commute home and enjoyed every second of it 🙂 Even got a cheers from some dude who was drafting me (God knows why as I wasn’t rushing lol) also had courteous car drivers when it came to the cycle path crossing a busy dual carriage way. It was a good ride 😀

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Loved my commute home, cold, but in a fresh way, light rain that was refreshing and traffic was stationary on the road sections so I managed to breeze through that at the start

Home warmed up and smiling with a small whiskey here

Mister-P
    Free Member

Even a puncture didn’t upset my ride this evening. 40 miles into work and 25 home again as you have to take advantage of no wind days. Rain and cold are easily defeated with decent clothing. Wind is just rubbish

spooky_b329

At 32 and riding all my life, I bounced off a car for the first time today.

My commute is less than 10 minutes, due to the mix of rain/darkness/general miserableness I did the first couple of minutes on the cycle path and then onto the road to avoid a cold five minutes at a level crossing.

I’m using road legal lights plus helmet with an oldish (i.e. not a million lumens but still bright) AyUp light, and a long sleeved hi vis (the proper highways one)

I had a car stop and look directly at me and then pull out. Didn’t have time to brake, all I could do was stick my leg out, bounced off the wing with a satisfyingly loud bang, and then somehow stayed on whilst I wobbled into the next lane and then slewed round into my lane facing the wrong way. Luckily I was slap bang in the middle of the lane as otherwise I’d have had even less chance to react.

Stayed on and not a bruise to show for it, but sobering that the expected and relatively predictable sprawl over the the bonnet actually turned into a swerve into the next lane without knowing what might have been trying to pass me…

She tried to apologise whilst holding back the tears so I told her I was OK and buggered off, but perhaps I should have ‘exchanged details’ seeing as I potentially left a foot sized reminder in her front wing?!

Mister-P
    Free Member

As long as you’re ok then her car is her problem.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Bike, train bike for me as usual.

was the usual squashfest

[url=https://flic.kr/p/pfNFMu]26th November 2014[/url] by -Cheesyfeet-, on Flickr

garage-dweller

Liverpool Street?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Not looking forward to the commute home…’ is closed to new replies.