Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)
  • Not just what you ride…..Best AM Frame??
  • leggyblonde
    Free Member

I disagree tracknicko. If 35lbs is too heavy you need to up your fitness game!
    I spent a long weekend in the lakes for the first time recently on my beefed up Reign and climbed those hills no problem. Coming down them was ace too

Rickos
    Free Member

Who's the bigger troll on this thread – Cynic-Al or tracknicko. I like them both, but there's only one way to find out…

FIIIIGHT!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

damn. have I chomped?

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP my point is that your question is subjective and also depends on what terrain you ride and how you ride it.

Therefore the question, and any answer, that don't take into account these factors, is meaningless. I know I'm happy with my bike, but I'm intelligent and honest enough not to purport to have authority to put forward any answer to your question, and I would say the same even if I'd ridden lots of "AM" bikes, which I haven't.

END OF THREAD.

RepacK
    Free Member

Carbon Nomad
    Titus El Gaupo
    Yeti 575

I dont have any of them but they have all good reviews (except the Nomad but hell its not going to be a duff bike..)

Rickos
    Free Member

cynic-al – Fair point, well presented.

si-wilson
    Free Member

al, to sugest we only discuss things with which can be answered with a definite answer seems silly, no? 🙂

0pt1cal
    Free Member

Cove G-Spot FR – will get one later this year
    Tracer VP – best climbing bike I've had but hit limitations on the downs
    Uzzi VP – currently loving this bike and will use it at the Mega
    Nomad – had a hire in Moab two weeks ago and it was amazing
    Nicolai AM – thought this would be great, but wasn't

Rickos
    Free Member

OK, OP – where/what do you ride?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Indeed my good friend si – it's just a poke at the question/answer thing.

tracknicko
    Free Member

35lb is too heavy. 6 inch is too much.

you know it, i know it.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Come on Al, remember at the end of the day it all boils down to whether you have a Chris King headset or not.

convert

Al – well put. However…..

Whilst it would be foolish to say that there is one bike out there that is best for EVERYONE, it would not be unreasonable to suggest a bike that is particularly good for a particular subset. e.g. good for shorter/larger/lighter/heavier riders; good for rocky locations; good for stronger out of the saddle type riders; good for spinners.

I guess the problem is that the permutations of subsets is endless which is in the end why there are a plethora of bikes on the market that sell in profit making numbers.

toys19
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member

you know it, i know it.

Might be too heavy or too much for you but I'm in this for fun. I like the going down, and I like my bikes to be oriented for that, for me AM is any burly full suss bike that can have the saddle high enough for pedalling up and enough gears to suit steep climbs. Some peoples idea of fun is climbing, fair enough but for me its a means to end.

I guess the problem is that the permutations of subsets is endless which is in the end why there are a plethora of bikes on the market that sell in profit making numbers.

Indeed. I only really got involved in this post because I felt like posting some piccies of my bikes..

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not nearly as scientific – lots of mfrs do very slightly different things, market them in certain ways, folk buy into that, buy whatever their dealer has or mates/stw recommend, decide it's good or rubbish, decide they need this years next new thing etc etc

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

you know it, i know it.

This guy knows it

Cedric Gracia was racing his 7inch full suspension bikes on world cup downhill courses only a few years ago.

If you need 6 inches of travel to go out and ride xc then your either lazy/shit/kidding yourself

Rickos
    Free Member

This is getting quite philosophical!

tracknicko
    Free Member

yay! someone onboard.
    here's how i see it.

i have a trance. i love going downhill – hell i race DH all summer long… i sold it and got a reign to have these magical 2 extra inches.

you know what? even though they were essentially identical, with the same kit on…
    the reign was just that wee bit heavier/taller/bigger and never felt as fast up OR down.

i'd rather have a shorter travel bike and rag the crap out of it, replace a few bits every now and then, than lug around a 'hardcore/freeride/AM/huck machine' just so that i could 'enjoy' the downs…

toys19
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

you know it, i know it.

This guy knows it

Cedric Gracia was racing his 7inch full suspension bikes on world cup downhill courses only a few years ago.

If you need 6 inches of travel to go out and ride xc then your either lazy/shit/kidding yourself

Ohh harsh. I'm not Cedric Gracia, I'm just little old me and lazy/shit/kidding myself is probably about as accurate as it gets. I wonder if you posted that to make yourself seem amazing, I'm sure you can fly past me up and down on a fully rigid single speed so **** what. Are you s good as Cedric Gracia, I've never heard of you, maybe you are kidding yourself?

toys19
    Free Member

i'd rather have a shorter travel bike and rag the crap out of it, replace a few bits every now and then, than lug around a 'hardcore/freeride/AM/huck machine' just so that i could 'enjoy' the downs…

Cool, thank heavens the bike manufacturers have cottoned onto this and make a bike for you and a bike for me. What lovely happy world we live in.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

let the e-riding begin

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I was just adding fuel to the fire. Im shit, but I ride a hardtail so its ok.

Dirtynap
    Free Member

The debate comes up again.

Frankly there is no such thing as an all mountain frame or bike. All bikes can do everything. They can and they have, just with different degrees of success.

Ultimately an all mountain style bike is actually one massive compremise, because it does not excel at anything. They jump ok, climb ok, and descend ok. None of them climb amazingly, non of them descend amazingly and none of them jump amazingly, sorry they just don't.
    However they are able to jump, climb and descend well enough to mean you can use them for doing all those things without breaking the bike or yourself, and therefore only need one bike, in theory, especially if you have adjustable suspension.

Given that your are talking about 5 to 6.5" travel frames then I would go for a Nicolai AM, yeti 575, Orange 5/apline 160, intense 6.6, gaint trance X/reign X, Turner 5 spot. In that order.

Owned them all, stuill got one of them but will be advertising on it here this weekend, as I have gone back to what I used to ride when I lived in Canada.

toys19
    Free Member

davidtaylforth – Member

I was just adding fuel to the fire. Im shit, but I ride a hardtail so its ok.

yeah and me (fuel to the fire that is). I'm shit and I am apparently overbiked, which appears to be a massive crime against something..

The other day I took the estate car out for drive without filling it full of luggage or driving around the estate, I must have been overcar-ed.

tracknicko
    Free Member

look. getting aside from any possible im better/your better type thing…

for me its as simple as tyres and wheels.

if you want to genuinely go downhill fast, i think you need a stronger wheelset, and ideally 2ply ST tyres. these things make the difference far more than a couple of inches of travel.

for me, going downhill fast is ALL about grip.

but fitting these make the bike SO much harder work to drag around. so you dont and then you have a halfway house. with capable frames, and sketchy pumped up hard fast rolling tyres slipping out on every root/rock…

toys19
    Free Member

I think me and Mr Taylforth were having a comp to see who was the shittest…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

And also geometry. You can ride a hardtail fast down a hill if the geometry is right.

But your right, good tires are key. My bike feels a bit shit with single plys cos i have to run them at about 45psi. Dual plys are so much better.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ultimately an all mountain style bike is actually one massive compremise, because it does not excel at anything. They jump ok, climb ok, and descend ok. None of them climb amazingly, non of them descend amazingly and none of them jump amazingly, sorry they just don't.

I can tell you're not a Spesh Pitch owner…… 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

speccy pitch with xc tyres still wont descend that well. maybe better than other bikes. but still not properly fast…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

It wont jump well either, full sus bikes are shite for jumps. Thats one of the reasons i went back to a hardtail.

Nothing more frustrating than having a good day riding the glentress xc on your full susser. Then going and having a go on the freeride park, nowt worse than wallowing about in inches of rear travel trying to do jumps

tracknicko
    Free Member

TS. but i think a lot of peoples ideas of a bike jumping well might be different to yours…

take a pitch to a bmx track. they (like all full suss bikes) DO NOT jump well.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

cynic-al – Member

OP my point is that your question is subjective and also depends on what terrain you ride and how you ride it.

Therefore the question, and any answer, that don't take into account these factors, is meaningless. I know I'm happy with my bike, but I'm intelligent and honest enough not to purport to have authority to put forward any answer to your question, and I would say the same even if I'd ridden lots of "AM" bikes, which I haven't.

cynic-al – if you had answered the question in anyway, I would have been happy to listen to your opinion/ experience – however, you didn't? You just poke fun as normal? With silly pictures & comments that puts the thread into some sort of spiral downwards – thanks.

I currently ride a Heckler & ride all sorts of different terrain – for example: From Dartmoor, to Les Gets, to California single track – the bike needs to be the true meaning of 'All Mountain' and cover ALL terrain.

I was merely looking for a wide range of 'opinion/ experience' led suggestions, from here I would investigate further as to which best suited – as I too have the intelligence and the experience of riding for many years too both, decide & research the best bike for me – but opinions & experience are great to have in your armory when deciding.

Once again, thank you to all those that have replied – I am just an MTB enthusiast that wants to build a great bike for myself to enjoy.

tracknicko
    Free Member

boo hoo. read some magazines then if you cant take a bit of light hearted banter.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What he said, with a dose of "get over yourself".

Anyway I will reveal my answer:

I ride a Heckler and IT IS TEH BE5T BIKE IN TEH WURLD INNIT. Gets ridden old school and gnarly, long and short, in the air and on the ground, Scotland and elsewhere, with my average skilz, I've even overtaken GLupton.

I tried something else then just bought another one as I missed it so much. So I say stay with the H.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, the fashionability of Lapierres didn't last long, did it?!

Zesty or Spicy, depending on your All Mountain requirements… (Swinley and AM?? 😕 )

ltheisinger
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member

boo hoo. read some magazines then if you cant take a bit of light hearted banter.
    Who the **** asked you? It isn't the banter I have a problem with….I can take that….it's the first quote of 'why bother to answer the question' and the insinuation that I was a spotty 12 year old, which I am clearly not!

cynic-al – Member

What he said, with a dose of "get over yourself".

Anyway I will reveal my answer:

I ride a Heckler and IT IS TEH BE5T BIKE IN TEH WURLD INNIT. Gets ridden old school and gnarly, long and short, in the air and on the ground, Scotland and elsewhere, all my average skilz, I've even overtaken GLupton.

I tried something else then just bought another one as I missed it so much. So I say stay with the H.

As for the "get over yourself" – what are you talking about? I do not need to…I am in a forum looking for advice and it seems that it is not always that easy because people ruin your thread and quite frankly it can be majorly annoying! I can not believe how difficult it is to ask a simple question and get a simple answer on STW sometimes – when I respond I respond because I might be able to help in some way, if not I don't – simple is it not?

As for the after advice re the Heckler – thanks – I have always been worried about coming away from the Heckler after so long riding one, but just fancied a change and wondered what other peoples opinions/ experiences where.

Thanks for the advice everyone who gave constructive feedback – I have enough to be going on with now and this thread has gone not in the direction I clearly intended too. THREAD ENDED.

tracknicko
    Free Member

you **** 'asked' me, you asked everyone on the forum.

and FYI i think al was sayng that it was 12 yr olds responding with 'my bike is best bla bla bla' not that you were a 12 year old for asking.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member

you **** 'asked' me, you asked everyone on the forum.

I meant – who asked you to join in on the insults.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Its an online forum, you dont need to be asked to join in, you just do it man.

It sounds like you've got alot to learn about the internet, and life in general

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry friend, I do think you should take things a little less seriously!

Getting narked at my pic of a duff bike is not going to increase your happiness, and I am always going to post one!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Not just what you ride…..Best AM Frame??’ is closed to new replies.