• This topic has 99 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Not ideal warranty (Intense) replacement – Opinions – this is a free for all!
  • rone

So I had a last of the line Large Intense Hard Eddie – Rigid with Evne Mtn fork and power meter. Light and fast. Too light for me. 19Lb.

Done 2300 miles on it and the seat-tube is cracked.

As Intense doesn’t make the Hard Eddie any longer they’ve only got left Medium Hard Eddies or I can pay and upgrade to a Primer Frame but I would need to shrink for me to ride it. The Primer would give me an up to date frame to build, but they want me to contribute some cash (cheeky gits).

Anyway – which would be the most sellable.

A Medium Hard Eddie Frame (2.5lbs carbon race frame) And sell bits off.
    A Medium Hard Eddie Bike built up with swish bits.
    Or An Intense Primer Frame to sell. (I have two full suss Turners)

No idea what to do.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Tell them to provide you something suitable under warranty – it’s not your fault they can’t provide a suitable replacement!

(Had this issue with a previous bike – they had run out of alloy frames so gave me a carbon one under warranty instead)

molgrips
    Free Member

Fail to see how it’s your fault that their frame cracked and they no longer make it. I’d be going through the T&Cs of the guarantee.

rone

That’s a good point, but I always see warranties as you get what you get.

I always assumed they cover their backsides with ‘our discretion.’

Doesn’t help that the distributer switched from Extra to Saddleback.

legend
    Free Member

but I always see warranties as you get what you get.

At the moment you’re effectively getting nothing though

rone

“Intense will, at its discretion, repair or replace any frame that it determines to be defective during the warranty period.”

That kind of get out.

Another brand I will not buy again.

rone

Tangibly I know. But I have some sort of an offer.

falkirk-mark

I don’t see how they can get away with giving you a smaller frame than the one you had and asking you to pay extra is also taking the piss (if they had the correct frame all would be well). For balance I have had 2 frame replacements one was Specialized who upgraded frame and shock cos they no longer had the old frames (5+ years old). The other was Nukeproof who despite the frame being 5 weeks out of warranty replaced the broken frame with a brand new 2017 frame.

rone

Not sure how to argue it. They don’t make anything I really want.

epicsteve
    Free Member

“Intense will, at its discretion, repair or replace any frame that it determines to be defective during the warranty period.”

At the moment they haven’t really offered to do either, so I’d be pushing them for an equivalent especially as they should realise frame size is important.

jimmyoto
    Free Member

I would read that as they would use their discretion to either repair or replace a frame that is defective.
    They seemed to accept that the frame has a defect so their options are to repair or replace it.

I would keep pushing for something that suits you – or a refund. I’ve seen in rare cases full bikes being refunded if a suitable replacement cannot be found.

Remember this is totally not your problem to sort out!

rone

I know, I’m too easy with stuff like this as I know ultimately they can just wriggle and wriggle. It’s their terms not mine.

A Primer is their closest – but I would have to buy new forks and that’s stupid and I don’t need one.

amedias
    Free Member

Are you having this discussion with the retailer or Intense directly? How long have you had the frame?

Assuming ‘not long’ then surely at this point it’s up to the retailer to sort you out, even if that means giving you a full refund* and they get a new Medium frame to sell from their supplier.

*Or offer you something else as a replacement, not necessarily an Intense.

rone

I’m speaking to Saddleback (distributor) who are speaking to Intense in the US. 18 months.

5 Year warranty.

plyphon
    Free Member

Who did you buy the bike from? That is who your contract is with.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Not a massive help, but the only warranty claim I’ve had was on a Raleigh Airlite road bike, it had an alloy front and a carbon rear. The bb shell cracked where the chainstays were bonded in; took it back to the shop 2 years after I got it, 10 days later I had a whole new Raleigh SP Carbon bike with new 105. Proper result.

legend
    Free Member

A Primer is their closest – but I would have to buy new forks and that’s stupid and I don’t need one

and the minor point that it’s a full-sus ffs 😆

rone

I understood a contract was with the shop for the Consumer Rights act but a warranty is with the manufacturer. The two are different approaches.

(After 6 months things take a turn against you.)

poah
    Free Member

rone – Member

I understood a contract was with the shop for the Consumer Rights act but a warranty is with the manufacturer. The two are different approaches.

(After 6 months things take a turn against you.)

yip, they are two different things. 6 months thing doesn’t override the current EU legislation on sale of goods though.

a medium bike is unsuitable and no point paying extra as they are duty bound to ” repair or replace any frame ” as in the T&C of their warranty as they have already accepted its a warranty issue.

tthew

6 months thing doesn’t override the current EU legislation on sale of goods though.

I was of the understanding that the 6 months thing IS the current EU legislation? i.e. after 6 months the onus is on you to prove it was defective when supplied.

rone

Anyway the point is the warranty is nothing more than something the manufacturer offers. There is wriggle room of course but it’s not like returning something to the shop say within 3 months for a full cash refund with the law at your side.

tomhoward

Well OP, youre the first person in one of these sort of threads to be sticking up for the manufacturer…

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Assuming you said no to both, what else are they offering?

poah
    Free Member

was of the understanding that the 6 months thing IS the current EU legislation? i.e. after 6 months the onus is on you to prove it was defective when supplied

EU is 2 years and you are not the one that has to prove a fault.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

No use to the OP, but when i discovered a crack in my old 26″ Giant Trance frame, the fact that they no longer make any 26″ bikes and had no stock frames resulted in me getting the equivalent current model complete bike. Pretty good service I reckon.

nealglover
    Free Member

“any frame that it determines to be defective during the warranty period”

they have accepted that the frame is defective, and that it is within the warranty period. So that’s an easy bit.

“Intense will, At its discretion”

this refers to it being their choice if they repair or replace (there isn’t a third option)

So they can decide wether to repair it. Or replace it with something suitable (both options at at no cost to you)

I can’t really see why you think there is any wiggle room for them to get out of replacing it with something suitable, that you don’t have to pay for. 😕

There really isn’t.

flashinthepan
    Free Member

As many above have said this really is their problem to fix.

In your shoes, I’d write to the most senior person at Intense and the distributor. (I mean the CEO, MD or some such; don’t bother with a customer services rep)

Simply set out the issue you have (no bike) and what you want them to do (provide you the means to have a new bike, of an equivalent type and quality, for no additional cost).

Place the problem firmly in their court

scrumfled
    Free Member

If you bought the bike on a credit card, S75 protection would likely apply… in which case you could contact your card if they dont play ball.

Junkyard
    Free Member

what neal and flashinthepan say

they have accepted liability under warranty now they have to do what their warranty says and not fob you off- might feel sorry they do not do the frame but that is really not your problem its theirs to fix.

Northwind

rone – Member

Another brand I will not buy again.

Unfortunately part of it here is that Intense are shit. A shop owner I know took a brand new frame out of the box, found it was bent, returned it unridden and was told they’d inspected it and it was crash damage.

But it does sound here like they’ve already accepted responsibility at least.

rone

Well OP, youre the first person in one of these sort of threads to be sticking up for the manufacturer..

Well because I’m in business and I know how tricky it can all be.

Also if they don’t make what I want I don’t see how they can magic anything out of thin air.

rone

I’m asking for a Primer frame for no extra cost.

I will sell that.

nealglover
    Free Member

Well because I’m in business and I know how tricky it can all be.

It can be, but taking liberties with the terms of a contract is not the way to deal with “tricky”

Also if they don’t make what I want I don’t see how they can magic anything out of thin air.

If they can’t supply you something equivalent, or better than, what you already had, then they should refund you, so you can buy elsewhere.

This really isn’t a complicated situation.

LeeW

I bought a V1 Hard Eddie frame a few years ago. There wasn’t much information on the website about them regarding comparability egg son I called them.

I spoke with Jeff Steber who advised the 970 XTR would fit and that the production frames would come with cahin suck ortection plates fitted.

Received the frame and neither of those points were right. Really struggled to fit the 2x XTR chainset, had to completely bodge it to run with a single ring never mind a double.

Plus there was no chain suck plate. Never really settled with it as and chain suck woukd have ripped the chainstay apart. Sold it on here, was really sad when it went as it was a stunning frame and rode really well.

legend
    Free Member

Is that the same Primer that’s 28% off at Merlin? How much extra were they wanting?

rone

I’m saying I’m not prepared to pay any extra now. And yes I’ve seen the frame on Merlin but it’s probably worth more than a Hard Eddie frame.

rone

If they can’t supply you something equivalent, or better than, what you already had, then they should refund you, so you can buy elsewhere.

This really isn’t a complicated situation

Yeah in an ideal world.

But who is going to give my money back?

The shop, extra, saddleback or intense?

I’ve managed to get my money back on problems within a few weeks but seriously they would just keep dodging and then you’d have to fight a case legally.

I’ve tackled all sorts of consumer issues but I do not understand how I would get my money back so easy.

Especially after 18 months.

The contract is with the shop but I’m dealing with the warranty and there is no mention of refund in the warranty contract.

Lots of companies these days in the bike industry have tightened up their warranty policies – first hand a friend of mine with a Turner frame could not get a replacement frame from them because for lots of reasons Turner apparently wouldn’t honour it. (After initially saying they would). The distributor was left in the lurch and stumped up an alternative. But again how would you force Turner to give them a frame if they didn’t supply the distributor with any or wouldn’t?

I’m not trying to be awkward, I’m just being realistic and getting refunds on bikes this far down the line is very tricky and would require legally a lot of effort or a very generous bike shop. And we know the bike shop places emphasis on the manufacturers warranty rather than refunds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mate had a 4 year old Rock Mtn Slayer that snapped, it was 26″. Lots of back and forward as the new slayer was not released they offered 2 complete bikes (lower specs) in 650/29. Neither were very good, resale was low and my mate opted to wait for the new Slayer which he got.

Get it raised up to Intense head office as they will have final say regardless of the distributor. They can give you a refund as they took the money and they built the defective product.

They way you get something back is to keep on them, ask to be copied in the communications and make sure the shop know what you want as a resolution from the situation.

rone

Get it raised up to Intense head office as they will have final say regardless of the distributor. They can give you a refund as they took the money and they built the defective product.

They way you get something back is to keep on them, ask to be copied in the communications and make sure the shop know what you want as a resolution from the situation.

So you’re saying go after Intense In the USA?

(Also I’ve modified it a it with different forks, bars and crank-set etc)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

They will be the ones making the final decisons if they need to. They will be providing the frame to the UK distributor. Get the UK people to get hold of the US people (Keep it in the chain)
    Basic Process.
    Intense provide Warranty to Distributor
    Distributor Provides Warranty to Shop
    Shop provides Warranty to Customer

End of the day Intense carries the can, so long as the mods are within spec (for length etc) then go for it. Sinple answer is why should you be out of pocket – no way will you get close to RRP for a warranty frame (it’s got no warranty once you sell it and only has the remainder of yours if you keep it)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Not ideal warranty (Intense) replacement – Opinions – this is a free for all!’ is closed to new replies.