Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Not caring about your bike?
  • ton

anyone not really care about their bike?

not bothered about the spec, or the colour combo’s, or even what it looks like.
    just as long as it works, and gets you from where you are to where you wanna go.

wwaswas

sfb always proclaimed this.

I think he cared too much that he didn;t care though which meant he did really.

cynic-al
    Free Member

An Intense/Rohloff owner didn’t care LOL!

I do care but less than most – some folk are ridiculous – happily I got past upgrade-itis by working in LBS.

boblo
    Free Member

To be fair, SFB was more interested in ladies bums than bikes…. 🙂

svalgis
    Free Member

Those people are busy riding their bikes rather than reading forums, the bastards.

Northwind

I’m not just a cyclist, I’m a bike-ist… I love riding bikes but I also like messing around with bikes. I think on forums you’re going to get mostly bike-ists because people that are just cyclists won’t be spending that much time on forums.

I guess I’ve got a lot of affection for my bikes- you probably don’t keep one for 20 years if you don’t. They’re all tools to do a job and that’s always the number one choice for what happens to them, but that doesn’t stop some of them from being very well equipped, colourcoordinated tools 😉

(the 20-year-old one is a bit different, but I put as much effort into making it cheap, unkillable and unstealable as I put into making the new ones excellent)

ampthill

Sort of

I sort of love my bike as it fits better than any bike before. I’ve decided I love fs

But brakes don’t match

good back wheel, rubbish front wheel

Mary bars

horrible heavy grips

silly long seat post

£10 pedals

love it

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

My winter road bike is a bit like that. As long as the thing goes without rattling, I hate noisy bikes and if something needs replacing it gets peanuts spent on it.

butcher

None of my bikes are expensive. None of them are very cool. But I wouldn’t say I don’t care. I do. Just not quite in the same way as everyone else.

I care that they do what I need of them. Sometimes I even get fixated on little details and I must have them. But a work of art they are not.

fasthaggis

just as long as it works, and gets you from where you are to where you wanna go.

That’s almost my winter bike that you’re talking about 😉

mamadirt
    Free Member

Been making Valentine’s Day cards in Nursery this week. Explained yesterday to the little lad I was working with that we were going to make a card for him to give to someone he loves. When asked who he’d like to make his card for – ‘maybe Mummy?’ I asked. ‘No, my new bike’ was his reply . . . a man after my own heart 😆

I had bicycle envy when he rolled up on his first day on a Demo-esque red Specialized Hotwalk – can’t wait to see what he’s on now 8)

scousebri
    Free Member

Both my bikes are shop spec. Havn’t changed a thing . I was going to faff with my older HT , new brakes, bars and seat post but couldn’t be bothered. Both bikes work and cope well with the type of riding i do.I don’t care what the look like ,it’s only a bike.

Solo
    Free Member

Nope, I care a fair bit, it all has to work properly and I am a bit of a Kit tart.

BUT, I’m not OCD about matching seat post, bars and stem, or owt like that. Each piece of kit is selected on individual merit, asthetics come 2nd.

Its just the way it is.

zilog6128

just as long as it works, and gets you from where you are to where you wanna go.Hmmm, that sounds like my poor old (unloved, abused) car. In contrast however my bikes get lavished with attention!

titusrider
    Free Member

I care that it rides well and looks good, so yes i care

i don’t care about scratches, dropping it and otherwise being precious

ton

shonkytrack world

06.02.13 shonky n veg 001 by 20ston, on Flickr

amedias
    Free Member

Some of them yes, Some of them no…

my commuter for instance is a definite no, I changed the brake pads about a year ago… that’s the only real loving it’s had..chain is baggy and brown, rear brake mostly seized, BB shagged, its scratched, dirty, creaky, crunchy but I use it every day!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I do care about my bikes and how they look, but more importanly I care about how they WORK and how i LOOK AFTER them!
    Why?
    Because I can’t afford to ruin them or replace them all the time. For me it’s a challenge to get really nice parts for minimal cost, there’s a skill in that I think. I’m shortly going to post my new bike on here, and I think the cost price will be a trifle unbelievable to some people….! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

I build a bike – it mostly stays that way till sommat breaks . The only exception is i often flit between gears and ss – mostly to ss ….. All my bikes ride well ss 🙂 as al says upgraditus was quelled when i worked in lbs. certainly couldnt give a crap about colour. Size and weight more important.

tomhoward

To be honest, my bikes are pretty much the only thing I care about at the moment.

Family
    Bikes
    Meh……

orangeboy
    Free Member

My commuter bike gets used and only gets love when very broken
    Mtb will stay sort of muddy most of the year with the bits that move getting cleaned and lubed
    Nice summer road bike has to be just perfect , nothing on it out of place cables all neat and even length
    Bar tape perfect etc

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Not caring about your bike?’ is closed to new replies.