Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Not anti-establisment, but a genuine question re: dumbing down – users opinions
  • As we all know, the forum has become tighter of late on what content is and isn’t acceptable.

The pro’s and con’s of this I’m sure have come up in many another discussion, so I’d like to stay away from the actual politics within this thread if possible – that would probably result in it going off on one and being closed in any case.

What I do want to gauge and hopefully we’ll get a broad spectrum of replies from an even cross section of poster, is do you prefer the forum how it is now, or was the more relaxed approach a better environment?

A simple ‘better’, or ‘worse’ will do, or expand if you want.

Personally I preferred it before, but as a poster who’s not exactly got an exemplorary record, that’s to be expected.

I don’t expect anything to change and I suppose if something offends just one person, then there’s an argument for it being disallowed – I’d still like to know who prefers it and who doesn’t though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Haven’t really noticed the difference. Honest.

iDave
    Free Member

ZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

I suppose that may be the trend – those that behave may not have noticed anything, where as those that have their toys taken away will.

Anyway…….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I find the lack of swearing irritating however I understand the reasons why and its no big deal

The clamp down on casual racism is excellent

The jury remains out on the casual sexism and misogyny.

Gradually a greater and greater “laddishness” was coming to the fore and I found it irritating and tedious. I’ll be glad to see the back of it.

philconsequence
    Free Member

if i users chose to hit “report” every time something offended them them i don’t see how the forum would last more than a day.
    for me: feeling like i’m being told what to think by other forum users, people knocking swinley as a riding venue, people knocking carreras, pretty much anything posted by shibboleth… etc etc etc all offend me.

pictures of attractive people and the odd bit of swearing however do not offend me.

i say, if it can be found on google with “safe search” on then it should be allowed, if someone chooses to reply to a post, picture or video with an inappropriate comment then it is them that should be banned or have their post removed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I think it’s better. Whilst I do not think that swearing necessarily means reduced vocabulary or poor communication skills, the banning of it does force us to be more creative with our language I think. And the general tightening of the rules makes us think a little more about our posts in general.

i say, if it can be found on google with “safe search” on then it should be allowed

Now that is a good call

DezB
    Free Member

It’s hardly changed really. Something has made it worse though and it’s not the moderation.

vinnyeh

Show a bit of initiative- go and start your own forum where you can set your own rules. There’s a few on here can give you pointers…
    🙂

clubber
    Free Member

Cut down on swearing is a bit excessive IMO but can’t say it bothers me massively.

Cut down on the racism/discrimination isn’t a big change IMO since I don’t think there was the magnitude of problem that some of the more hysterical people liked to make out but it does at least stop it in its tracks (as I would agree that there was a very gradual rise in it).

What I do find offensive is some of the views expressed in the A&A discussion threads on both sides – some very stupid sexist stuff but some equally stupid, narrow-minded stuff from the ‘ban it’ brigade.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Personally I’m glad to see that some of the bullying prevalent on here is being tackled lately. Stuff like starting new threads purely and simply to mock someone…all it does it drag the tone of the forum down, make the poster look like an idiot, & makes this a less friendly place to hang out. On the other hand, I’d like to see the swear filter backed off a bit. I can understand why it is in place, but it’s a bit tight imho.

kimbers

i prefer it now theres no need to be nasty ever imho

it is only a biking forum on the internet its not like the western world will collapse if you cant call someone a mellonfarmer when they slag off your choice of seatpost or political inclination

vinnyeh – Member
    Show a bit of initiative- go and start your own forum where you can set your own rules. There’s a few on here can give you pointers…

It’s a bit dull on there of late though

j_me
    Free Member

i say, if it can be found on google with “safe search” on then it should be allowed

A truely rubbish suggestion, there are plenty obscene images return even with the “safe search” on.

Woody
    Free Member

TBH I haven’t noticed much of a change with the swear filter as the ‘milder’ terms/words still appear to get through. On balance I probably prefer it now as there is less name calling and insults have to be more inventive.

I tend to get more irritated by the politicisation of what are ostensibly non-political topics…………and it’s always the same culprits with the same dull dogmatic crap.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its hardly “dumbing down'” to stop swearing racism and sexism is it?

Racism, no – but the sexism is subjective and what one person finds sexist, will be completely inoffensive to others.

Racism is more black and white…….

philconsequence
    Free Member

there are plenty obscene images return even with the “safe search” on.

yes, but i made the assumption that most forum users would use an element of common sense, and also people might not use google, it was more of a benchmark of what’s considered appropriate for general viewing online.

cleavage but not nipples type common sense. but dont let that stop you expressing your opinion on my truly rubbish suggestion, i’d fight and die for your right to do so by the way x

MrNutt
    Free Member

First They came for the Anti Semites.

First they came for the Anti Semites.
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Anti Semite.

Then they came for the Racists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Racist,

Then they came for the Perverts.
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Pervert.

Then they came for me
    and there was no one left to speak out for me.

DezB
    Free Member

I tend to get more irritated by the politicisation of what are ostensibly non-political topics…………and it’s always the same culprits with the same dull dogmatic crap.

Amen! to that!

j_me
    Free Member

…i’d fight and die for your right to do so by the way x

Thanks for the sentiment. I would have replied sooner, but I am too busy trying to break google’s safe search.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I’d prefer the swearing rules to be a bit relaxed because the intended audience is adults. I think the argument that kids might read it doesn’t really wash, kids might read the guardian and they’d find far more explicit swearing there.
    Not really fussed one way or another over kylie style threads, though there’s far better ways of finding pictures of naked ladies, so I couldn’t really see the point of them in the first place.
    To some extent I’m all for racism/sexism/ism threads existing. Sweeping them under the carpet doesn’t really allow people to find out how in or out of kilter their views are with other people.

McHamish
    Free Member

Yawn.

Torminalis
    Free Member

It seems to be that the dumbest comments and users tend to be the ones that get moderated (myself included at times).

Surely this should have the opposite effect of dumbing down?

philconsequence
    Free Member

Personally I think this forum is greatly reduced by the constant nitpicking, holier than thou contributions of people such as yourself. Simply amusing yourself by taking some sort of self proclaimed morale stance to belittle others is in my view similar to pulling the legs off spiders. It says more about the person doing it than it does their victims!

– Berm Bandit (gyspy wedding thread), though it was specifically directed at elfin, i feel its a comment that could be aimed at a few forum members. so to berm bandit… I +1 you.

+2

some people need to lighten up and learn how to take a joke, however if they do not take a post as a joke and are truly offended by something then i think it only appropriate the the poster of the joke should be a man/woman and apologise instead of start an online battle that makes everyone look stupid.

i mock Barnsleymitch as i know (and hope) he knows its a joke and i wouldn’t do so if i didnt have some weird affection for a fellow psych nurse who rides a bike. if i ever offended him i’d hope he’d tell me and i hope i’d be mature enough to apologise instead of go on about how its the internet, not real life, just close the thread, dont read it, freedom of speech and so on.

What about a ‘smoking room’ type forum, where threads that may be a little risque can go?

I’ve seen it work on other forums.

McHamish – Member
    Yawn.

Did the thread title not give you an indication of the content?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Berm Bandit (gyspy wedding thread), though it was specifically directed at elfin, i feel its a comment that could be aimed at a few forum members. so to berm bandit… I +1 you.

Yeah, but have you read my response? I dare say BermBandit is probbly feeling quite chuffed, but my original statement still stands- IE people making judgements of others whose culture they have little real knowledge of. I’m certainly not offended by his comments at all.

It’s like a game of chess on here quite often; people trying to ‘out-clever’ each other, like Stoner and Ernie. Forces people to up their game. Can be actually quite entertaining, and other people can learn stuff from the ‘debate’. So, far from being ‘dumbed down’, I think the forum is being ‘clevered up’.

To some extent I’m all for racism/sexism/ism threads existing. Sweeping them under the carpet doesn’t really allow people to find out how in or out of kilter their views are with other people.

I agree with this, actually. Such attitudes can’t be challenged unless they appear in a public arena such as this forum. Take Shibboleth’s recent thinly veiled homophobic bit of trolling on the hotel thread t’other day. Good to see folk using their brains to counter whatever ignorance and bigotry emerged.

I struggle to see how the forum is being dragged down to a lower intellectual standard, just because the OP had a rule-breaking post removed…

aracer
    Free Member

Personally I really don’t get the complaints about the swearing rules. Whilst I don’t particularly have a problem with them or find them offensive, is it really not possible to express yourself without using swear words? I’ve certainly never felt any need to use them on this forum (or indeed any others which might allow them), nor in e-mails I send or documents I write.

I mean even elf seems to also manage OK nowadays.

Trimix
    Free Member

Its not our forum, its STW’s forum, its up to them.

DezB
    Free Member

people trying to ‘out-clever’ each other

They don’t like it when you don’t play their game eh? Well you do, I don’t! 😉

Its not our forum, its STW’s forum, its up to them.
    Do they have to have our opinions for us as well?

philconsequence
    Free Member

elfin… from what i can see on the thread… you haven’t responded, or is that the point you’re making? i didnt expect you to be offended by his comments, my impressions from other threads are you’re too head-strong to be offended by what someone writes about you on t’interweb 🙂 not a bad quality at all, but i do agree with BB general’s point about forum users constantly picking holes on others.. it ruins the atmosphere for me at times.

Take Shibboleth’s recent thinly veiled homophobic bit of trolling on the hotel thread t’other day. Good to see folk using their brains to counter whatever ignorance and bigotry emerged.

agreed, that was a brilliant thread where STW seemed to come together and cooperate in not taking him too seriously and keeping it lighthearted 🙂

stumpy01

Not really noticed much difference.

Seemed to go a bit quiet for a fortnight or two which i put down to people flouncing, rebelling against ‘the system’ etc. but seems to be back to normal now…..

BermBandit
    Free Member

I dare say BermBandit is probbly feeling quite chuffed

Yet another of those things you keep accusing others of Elf… an assumption. Actually, I was slightly concerned that I might have gone in too hard on you, and until I saw this was contemplating posting to that effect.

My perspective is this. MTB generally has always been a source of inspiration to me personally, in that it was very much like surfing was originally, i.e. friendly, non competitive, with the joy of what you were doing and the company of other like minded individuals being the driving force. Unfortunately, that original chilled and laid back attitude seems to have been increasingly driven from the sport and it has gradually evovled into yet another cycling discipline with all the pluses, and but also the negatives that come with that. The STW forum for my money has simply mirrored that trend. 5 or 6 years ago, being on here was much like being on a ride with mates. You got all the various degrees of support, the banter and the pish ripping that you would while out. Pretty much 100% good natured and you kind of knew that if someone offended you even accieentally that would pretty much be mortified.

I think the writing was on the wall from the days of the MLEH breakaway, not because they went, but because the angst and taking yourself too seriously personiffied in that dummy spit was indicative of what was going on generally. I have always felt that the split of bike and chat just continued down that road. Let alone the moderation issues. Possibly not becuase threads get closed, but more because there is the need to do so.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Actually, I was slightly concerned that I might have gone in too hard on you, and until I saw this was contemplating posting to that effect.

Don’t worry about my feelings mate. I don’t take you seriously enough to really worry about what you’ve said.

my impressions from other threads are you’re too head-strong to be offended by what someone writes about you on t’interweb

I’ll make my point, which I’m always correct in, and not worry too much about what others think of me. I may have a debate with someone about something, if I can be bothered, but to me, this forum is about entertainment, not about changing the World. If you can influence others and help them see things more clearly, great. If you can’t, no worries. Life’s too short.

Is it time for a picture of a chair or something?

BermBandit
    Free Member

I am self evidently not your mate. 😉

Someone made an abusive threatening post aimed at me recently.
    I notice he hasn’t posted since, despite being a regular poster up until then, so I assume he’s been banned.
    I’m not too bothered by that sort of thing, but some people would be, so I suppose it’s for the best.

On the other hand, I made a joke about two gay men staying at a camp site instead of a B&B and it got deleted.
    I thought that was an over reaction as there’s a similar joke in Convoy GB by Laurie Lingo and the Dipsticks which was played on Radio One when it was released in 1975.

McHamish
    Free Member

Deleted…by me.

MrNutt
    Free Member

Deleted…by you.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Not anti-establisment, but a genuine question re: dumbing down – users opinions’ is closed to new replies.