Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • not a tyre question …ahem
  • doncorleoni
    Free Member

I cannot afford a new bike so commute on my camber 12 miles each way. 25% through swinley tracks, 25% boring road, 50% canal paths (hard pack gravelly stuff.

Currently I have been commuting for 3 weeks on my Hans Damfs 2.35 sticky wide slow tyres – yes its a bloody good workout!

I need some more suitable tyres – something 1.75 / 1.9 ” wide maybe. Key thing is I want to run tubeless (already set up with flows).

DO any of you lot have any suggestions?

many thanks as always 🙂

CalamityJames
    Free Member

Crossmarks.

hopkinsgm

Crossmarks are a good fast rolling option on sealed surfaces, but grippy enough off road. I’ve been running a 2.1 70a folding on the back on my bouncy bike for the last couple of months.

I’d also suggest you get another set of wheels – changing tyres is a ballache, doubly so if you’re running tubeless.

PaulD
    Free Member

Kenda Small Block 8s are fine for the hardpacked trails at Swinley (I do know a few bits where they would be poor) and excellent for the canal and road sections.

I have some Kenda Kharisma Lite 1.95 front and rear that come up thin and roll very well…you are welcome to come round to Winnersh and have a look/consider making me an offer.

Not tried them tubeless, but have not read constant critiques of them not sealing in ghetto form either.

PaulD

stumpy01

I’d second getting a cheap second set of wheels & sticking something like Specialized Hemispheres on them.
    I got some Specialized wheels (same ones that came on my OH’s Myka) for £80, then cost me £20 for a cassette & about £25 for some City Jets. Definitely worth it.

chiefgrooveguru

I’d just change the back one for something like a Crossmark, X-King, Slant Six, Larsen or similar in a biggish size (2.2 – 2.4), pump both tyres up harder for your commute and then let them down for proper riding.

Junkyard
    Free Member

crossmark but really rubbish in proper mud

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Thanks all 🙂 some good stuff to focus my shopping tomorrow. Agree with the comments about second wheelset ….really wish I had not sold my stock rims now 🙁 sure changing tyres in a bit of a faf but with my pump up fence spray ghetto compressor tyres pop up in an instant. Will have to suffer the changes.

Paul – thanks for the offer – may well pm you if I get some time spare! In Bracknell so not too far away.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘not a tyre question …ahem’ is closed to new replies.