Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Not a spider thread
  • roper
    Free Member

But a scorp thread 🙂

I have two Heterometrus longimanus. Also known as giant forest scorpions. They are harmless enough but quite big, about 13 cm long and are fairly active.

here is one offering a hug

by the pool

and posing for the camera

Anyway after months of speculation, rumours and gossip I can confirm we have babies!!!!!!!!!

Not the clearest of photos but mother is underground at the moment and I won’t disturb her.

I’m not sure how many scorplings there are but I’m guessing 10 to 15.

and a photo under UV light.

Scorplings don’t have a full exoskeleton at this stage so do not reflect the same way adults too. After two moults they will have a normal outer exoskeleton and will wonder away from their mothers back.
    This is quite a docile species so they should be ok together for a little while too.

😀

mrblobby
    Free Member

Blimey!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

\o/

Stoner
    Free Member

never trust an animal with three pointy bits 😯

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I think you’ll find with scorpions, the bigger the claws, the less venomous the sting.

*awaits correction from roper*

roper
    Free Member

you are correct DD. That tends to be a rule of thumb. There is a small chance of having an allergy to scorpion venom which could cause more problems but that is rare. These are mainly gentle giants and a good starter scorp. Though they can be a little grumpy.

This little scorpling on the other hand
    Centruroides gracilis

Is kept in a sealed tank within a tank in a tank.

These are also double tanked

Babycurus jacksoni

Rhopalurus junceus

and even these, though they are native to S/Spain
    Buthus occitanus or ibericus (not sure which).

Stoner
    Free Member

Let me rephrase then

Never trust an animal that has three tanks 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

*swoon*

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😆 @ tank within a tank within a tank. Jesus H! What would happen if bitten by that particular three tank scorpion roper?

Jamie
    Free Member

What would happen if bitten by that particular three tank scorpion roper?

You would get put in a suit, in a box in the ground.

roper
    Free Member

Never trust an animal that has three tanks

lol, very true.

All of those last few scorpions above would need to be held under a DWA (dangerous wild animal) license in the UK. Thought that doesn’t necessarily mean they are deadly. It could mean they are related to dangerous scorpions and theer is just a complete ban. They are all from the Bothriuridae family which does have some deadly species.
    I’m not sure what would happen if I got stung by the Centruroides gracilis. There are two variations. The ones from N/America have a fairly mild venom with localised pain and swelling, possibly fever etcetera. The S/American (which I think mine is) has a venom description of LD 50 value of 2.7 mg/kg or from 1 to 5, with 5 being the highest, these have a venom level of 4. I would rather place safe so keep them all carefully stored away.

There is more to them than just their venom though. They are amazing little arachnids and fascinating to watch.

morgs
    Free Member

can I buy a baby?

Stoner
    Free Member

never stopped madonna.

morgs
    Free Member

😆 @ stoner

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Thanks for sharing 🙂 I find these threads fasinating.

roper
    Free Member

morgs
    Do you have any experience with arachnids or snakes?
    They are a beginner species but they are also a venomous wild animal.
    you can email me if you would like more info about keeping scorpions.

morgs
    Free Member

couldn’t see your email in the profile.

i’m at morgs DOT bdavies AT gmail.com – look forward to hearing from you 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

here’s some scorpions i saw in china a couple of weeks ago

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6V5N0rxyQ[/video]

roper
    Free Member

What a ridiculous thing to do. Were they like that for food, medicine or just a warped sadistic entertainment?

morgs, email sent.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Food

peachos
    Free Member

food. yeah not very humane at all…but the chinese aren’t very humane in general when it comes to animals as food.

but not particularly ridiculous though given they have previously suffered terrible famine, hence why they eat anything and everything!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

yeah not very humane at all…but the chinese aren’t very humane in general when it comes to animals as food.

True! apparently the keep hens in tiny little boxes, just to supply them with eggs!

roper
    Free Member

Mother had 13 scorplings in total. All have survived and are doing well 😀

ist instar

and now 2nd instar

The numbered instar informs of how many moults they have had and so their age.

racefaceec90

scorpions,bloomin amazing arachnids 🙂 can’t they survive in a microwave oven,live under water for up to 3 days,and they have 2 brush like organs on their underbelly to detect chemical trace elements (apologies if i got any of it wrong)

Pigface
    Free Member

Want another spider thread please

Northwind

Aw… Not a fan of the adults but the little ones are surprisingly cute!

RealMan
    Free Member

Only just seen this thread. Very interesting stuff, I kinda like scorpians. I remember being about 8 at a kids birthday party and asking the guy who was making balloon animals to make me a scorpian, think it took him by surprise a bit, ended up with a dog..

😯

Stoner
    Free Member

this little sod was in our treehouse on honeymoon in Thailand.
    Always checked my shoes before putting them on after that. 😯

brakes
    Free Member

I was in Fortnum and Mason yesterday and they were selling scorpion lollipops 😕

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Loverly…thank god for the cold weather…

piha
    Free Member

Roper – what do the nippers eat?

roper
    Free Member

or racefaceec90 I’ve never heard about the microwave oven before but can’t see it. The same with water I’m afraid. Some scorpions don’t like very much water. They do have Pectines though, which are brush like. They are on the ventral side of the scorpion and are useful to sex them. Males tend to have longer pectines than females.

stoner, looks like it is from the Heterometrus family (as a guess) so would have been quite mild tempered and have mild venom. Still not great in your shoes or under your pillow 🙂

phia, the babies eat small crickets and any other small bugs, they could eat maggots or meal worms. They are about 1 cm long and are quite confident. As adults they will eat large crickets, grass hoppers, locus, those sorts of things. Most can be bought from a pet shop. They do have to be live though. They may scavenge dead food but it is better for them to hunt live prey.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Not a spider thread’ is closed to new replies.