Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Nosey neighbours: 1, thieving scum: 0
  • sturmey
    Free Member

On a similar note a garage owner friend of mine had to pay compensation when a member of the public injured themselves tripping over a low slung chain he used to put up across the garage forecourt to stop people using it as a carpark on a night.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So sturmey – from your link

You can use barbed wire to protect your boundaries

So I am right. You can use it.

so find me an example of an intruder getting compensation? Its a myth. It may be possible in theory but I very much doubt it has ever happened

sturmey
    Free Member

I never said you couldn’t use it, yes most cases where the injury was to the person carrying out a criminal act have failed to secure compensation but an innocent person may be a different matter. I was making a point about using it responsibly.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sturmey – project claimed I was wrong to say you could use it.

Of course it needs to be used responsibly but to put some carpet grippers on your shed roof to stop people climbing on it it perfectly acceptable.

TandemJeremy – Member

“showerman – Member

remember if the crim hurt themselves cos fitted carpet gripper ect you could find yourself in trouble..yes i agree these scum need to be hurt good and proper but why end up paying them compo as well as giving them your bikes “

Really? How and for what. this is another one of those myths that is utter rubbish. That would outlaw barbed wire. I know plenty of walls with broken glass embedded in the top etc etc

find one example of this ever happening in the UK

TJ, with all due respect to your right to always be right, youre wrong,

and of course I have not been shown to be wrong. Even that quote from the police shows you can use it, no one has shown any evidence of anyone ever getting compensation as an intruder on your property for injuries caused by a barbed wire.

I know many places with anti intruder spikes wire and so on including police stations

docrobster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies- and the usual Internet lawyering 😕
    The bikes will be staying in the house for the foreseeable future and I shall be investing in some of the suggestions on this thread.
    G’night all

TiRed

TJ – not barbed wire… but compensation for “mischief”

Jolley vs. Sutton

So if you leave something that is “attractive” on view there is the debate regarding entrapment, subsequent injury and contributory negligence.

IANAL, but I think you’d get away with carpet grippers.

konadad
    Free Member

what you need is one of these

storage cage

shameless plug for my mate who had a load of bikes and gear nicked earlier this year

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Nosey neighbours: 1, thieving scum: 0’ is closed to new replies.