Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Norway touring, where to start??
  • 13thfloormonk

This is a bit of a slow burner this plan, but bear with me.

Despite past reticence about going abroad, even with the bike, I’ve suddenly been gripped by an urge to go and explore Norway for two or three weeks.

The plan will be to buy a tourer (the cannondale drop bar model is the current favourite) and load it up with the camping gear (and the headlights, in preparation for those 20km long tunnels!).

Problem is, I don’t really know where to start. I’m currently thinking something along the lines of a 900km loop from Bergen, meandering north and east to Sognefjorden then further east to the mountain roads between Gaupne and Lom, and from Lalm to Ovre Ardal, before returning to Bergen via Laerdalsoyri, Aurland before following the E16 most of the rest of the way.

Do these mountain roads generally stay open in the summer months (given that three or four pass the 1000m mark). Are the tunnels really that bad? And what happens if your way is barred by a ‘banned’ tunnel? Do you just have to grab a bus to the other end?

Any stories/suggestions welcome, think I’ll need to visit Waterstone’s tomorrow for a lonely planet… 😀

druidh
    Free Member

I might be heading to Sweden/Norway for a tour later in the year. One of the routes being considered is the latter part of this….http://www.tosweden.se/

Stoner
    Free Member

(and the headlights, in preparation for those 20km long tunnels!).

not in all of them…
    http://www.cycletourer.co.uk/maps/tunnelmap.shtml

However often they have alternative, longer routes around them.

My top tip: Utne.
    Hardangerfjord
    sognefjord

Norway is stunning.
    But its at two altitudes: sea level and high and getting between the two can make your lungs burst 🙂

13thfloormonk

Steady Druidh, Sweden is one country too far for me at the moment, stick with our closest neighbour! 😀

I’ll look forward to some pictures and a write up then, the second half of that sweden trip goes further north, which I’d also want to do, maybe lofoten – north cape or something (off to check the mileages on that one actually…)

100mphplus
    Free Member

I’d fly to Bodo, via Oslo, and get the ferry to and start at the southern end of the Lofoten Islands and work your way North from there possibly round the coast back round to Bodo.

Did a 1 week cycling Hol there a couple of years ago just up the southern Lofoten Islands and it’s stunning. P1ss easy and cheap to get your bike to/from Bodo too.

Be warned though it’s mega expensive, even buying your own food in shops is costly and possibly the wrong place to go if you don’t like fish – ha!

13thfloormonk

Stoner, I’d heard about Hardangerfjord, there looks to be one hell of a climb from Osa (sea level) to 1200m, looks like the norwegian Stelvio pass!

Might be an option to add to that Bergen loop, although that would turn it into an 8-9 dayer I think.

100mph, I hope you’re joking a little there, I’m allergic to fish! 🙁

Really wanted to visit the Lofoten Isles (after I read ‘Descent into the Maelstrom). Had thought about the Bergen tour, then grabbing a train or something to Lofoten but if its as expensive as people say then I might need to make a seperate trip…

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have some stuff with suggested itineraries for cycle touring which I picked up when in Norway last year, will see if I can find them

darrell
    Free Member

i live here on the West coast of Norway. Email me if you wanna know any specifics.

Darrell

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

13th, there is a chap in Edinburgh who took CTC tours to Norway for years and who may be able to offer advice.

He has a page on the CTC website through which you can get in touch http://www.cyclingholidays.org/tours/contact.php?Leader=bc&Tour=1121

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

There’s an article about cycletouring Norway,in one of the current monthlies,(I’m not sure but I think it’s Cycling+ magazine),have a quick trawl through next time your in a newsagents.
    From what I remember of the article he went around the Loftofen Islands amongst other places,looked really good

13thfloormonk

Wow, thats a lot of ‘banned’ tunnels! Looks like most have bypasses in the summer though.

Will check out the magazine, had read the Lofoten Isles were spectacular but flatter than the south.

Darrell, I’m a long way from ‘specifics’ yet! Cheers though 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Norway touring, where to start??’ is closed to new replies.