Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Norway or Sweden in Autumn?
  • rhid

So I was going to go and watch Redbull rampage next year but a few things are putting me off going. Instead I have decided I would like to visit either Sweden or Norway.

I reckon I will have about a week, is it worth trying to do both or just concentrate on one? I really don’t know that much about either at the moment as have not really looked into it that much. Are there any must sees? I would like to see the Northern lights and possible stay in an ice hotel if thats possible but the time of year may not work.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

johndoh
    Free Member

Suggestions? Start saving. Lots.

rhid

Hahaha yeah I assumed it would not be cheap!

I had a few days in Iceland a few years ago and that was expensive. I was thinking it would be similar!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Sweden has some great cities but is pretty quiet in the countryside, it is a huge place with not a lot of people, Norway is stunning the countryside is breathtaking but is ruinously expensive.

Norway would be my choice.

molgrips
    Free Member

Sweden’s not overly expensive ime unless you want to get smashed.

You could easily do both.

bugpowderdust
    Free Member

We’ve been a couple of times to Norway in the last year, once in September last year and again in May this year. Both times on a bit of a budget compared to going to the states the previous year, flights to get there sub £100 return for the pair of us direct to Bergen, car rental for 9 days was something around £275 then rented via airbnb on Hardangerfjord. Very chilled place to go, perfect if you just want to be outdoors, be prepared for high food costs especially if you eat out but even prices in supermarkets are high. Take spirits with you and buy wine in the airport duty free. Petrol costs about the same as here but take into account toll road costs for bridges and tunnels then also ferries too as in some of the fjords crossings are frequent and a long drive round to avoid them.

Want to go back at some point again to ride and walk more also fancy doing Strykeproven too.

welshfarmer

Spent a couple of weeks touring Norway at the beginning of October 6 years ago. We were living out of the back of our Landrover with a cabin (pretty luxurious TBF) every 3 nights or so. A truly beautiful country. Autumn was still be too early for the northern lights, but at least the trees still had their colour and we only had frost at night a few times 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Norway is stunning, Sweden a bit dull just lots and lots of trees. Stockholm is worth a visit though

darrell
    Free Member

Hi Welsh Farmer

I live just round the corner from Pulpit Rock

and OP – Winter has arrived and plenty of snow in the mountains and many ski resorts are opening early and its really cold at the mooment

darrell
    Free Member

like they said up there – beer is ca. 10-12 GBP a pint in the bars. Cans of beer in the shops are over 4 GBP each. A burger and chips meal in a cafe will cost over 15 GBP

but buy stuff fresh from the shops and wild camp or stay in cabins and you’ll have a fairly in-expensive time

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sweden a bit dull just lots and lots of trees.

Did you visit one of the dull foresty bits? (We have a lot of them.)

On the other hand we have lots of none dull bits (both forested and otherwise.)

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

When do you mean by autumn? Shedloads of snow here at the moment, so our autumn is a little earlier in the year, we are in Winter really now

rhid

I was thinking mid october over my birthday but there is plenty of flexibility if there is a better time to visit! I’d like to see snow etc!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, we’ve got a foot or so of snow where we are, and i’m ~200km south of Norway. And about 1000km south of HYD1 (Up Åre way aren’t you?).

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Sweden has some great cities but is pretty quiet in the countryside, it is a huge place with not a lot of people, Norway is stunning the countryside is breathtaking but is ruinously expensive.

Norway would be my choice.

This. For cities, Sweden, Stockholm is brilliant. For away from cities, Norway and the fjords. Train from Oslo to Stockholm isn’t stupidly expensive, so both is an option

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

It really depends. I mean it is a long country so the weather at one end can be totally different to the other . I think where I live , in the middle/ the southern north…! , the best time is vårvinter (spring winter) like march april time. Longer days , loads of snow and often sunny. Skating on huge lakes , snowboarding , cross country skiing etc. July can be fantastic , basically light all day , beautiful air and nature , same as september for autumn/ hunting season ,

I wouldnt visit prob december/ janauary as the days are very short and it can be bitterly cold (-30c last year) I love it all year but thinking from a guests perspective. Do you want city stuff? Culture ? Or outdoors/ mountains etc …? Where i am , October is a bit of an inbetween month . MTB is winding down as the days are getting shorter and the snow is coming, but there isn’t usually enough snow for winter sports. Northern lights are go though and the hunting is on so can be great for camping!

Edit : yes I’m in Östersund , 1hr from Åre

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

but is pretty quiet in the countryside

And i bloody love it.

I hate people.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Norway or Sweden in Autumn?’ is closed to new replies.